Grammostola Pulchripes Slow or Fast Growers?

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am really interested in getitng a G. Pulchripes or a B. Smithi just debating on which one i should get.

How fast do G. Pulchripes grow compared to a B.Smithi?

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're both about the same.
yep.

i have a female B. smithi and male G. pulchripes i've been raising that were very close to the same size (1") when acquired. the smithi is only slightly behind the pulchripes. even with manipulating their growth rates by powerfeeding its crazy how closely they are keeping up with eachother.

G. pulchripes moults:
6/13/2010 .75"
8/9/2010
9/11/2010
10/13/2010
1/29/2011 3"

B. smithi:
6/22/2010 .75"
8/28/2010
10/11/2010 3"

what i found interesting was it took the smithi less moults to get to the same size, and it looks ventrally female.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Malevolentrobot Thank you very much for that info. But now i really cant choose between the 2....

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Malevolentrobot Thank you very much for that info. But now i really cant choose between the 2....
both are great Ts. i love me some brachys, but G. pulchripes has been less itchy, ime. what they lack in beauty in some owners eyes when compared to Brachypelma, they make up in being way less kicky normally.

mine was my not only my pinch-grabbing guinea pig, but also is the collection darling when it comes to people actually wanting to see one of my T's out from the other side of the glass (or plastic). i even got my arachnophobic roomate to see the light after seeing how easy going my male is.

also, a sexed female G. pulchripes should be quite substancially cheaper ;)

Last edited:

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why would the Female be cheaper? Do females have more of a aggressive side in the G. Pulchripes?

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
I have a G. pulchripes sling right now. She is very easy going compared to my other slings. (B. albopilsum, L. parahybana) Shes a slow mover and doesn't dart around too much. She eats better than my other babies and is molting more often, which means shes picking up size pretty quick. She has gained at least 1/2 inch since I got her in early Dec. In general I believe that the G. pulchripes is more docile than the B. smithi too. I hope that this helps you. It's always so hard to choose, you could always get both though. :)

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would love to get both and "WILL" have them both in the future but right now i have enough for 1 sling plus express shipping. I found .5" B. Smithi for 10 bucks. i think its a steal and am putting money in the bank tomorrow morning and ordering it. :D

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why would the Female be cheaper? Do females have more of a aggressive side in the G. Pulchripes?
i should have clarified, a sexed female G. pulchripes will be substancially cheaper than a sexed female B. smithi of the same size.

i'm not exactly sure how far the gap in pricing is currently, but i'd gander a decent sized female G.pulchripes (4" or so) somewhere around $75-$90 and a B.smithi going for $100-130 or more depending on the DLS.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well TarantulaHomes is selling B. Smithi .5 inch <edit> so i think i will be ordering 2 of those tomorrow. :D:D:D SO EXCITED!

Last edited by a moderator:

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my opinion G. Pulchripes are slower growers than B. Smithis. Mostly due to the eating habits. B smithis are pretty good eaters between molts whereas G. Pulchripes being a Grammastola tends to just stop eating for no reason just like Rosies. (at least mine does...lol) My friend's B. Smithi grew from 2" to almost a full 5" in just a year, but she's a PIG! My G. Pulchripes was 4" when I got her almost 8 months ago and she's about the same size, but she's not a big eater. Actually she's a very picky eater and right now is in a "I don't feel like eating" mood...lol. I'm hoping it's just a pre-molt phase. Also in my opinion the G. Pulchripes are way more docile and calm. The B. Smithis can be big flickers and can also be very skittish. So, you can take it from there. It all depends on what is more important to you...a calm docile T or a fast grower. I know I definitely wanted a G. Pulchripes cause thay are known as "gentle giants" and they are.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
at least it's not a Pelinobius muticus (C. crawshayi)... lol

Rue

Arachnoknight
Go for it.

I was only going to get 1 T, then I ordered 2...:lol:

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol, thats how it started out with me too, i was only going to buy 1T but now i want both of them and, i dont have the money to send on Ts at this time but i want to spend it on them anyways :D

Rue

Arachnoknight
I did a little math...doesn't cost much more to have 2...

...and odds are you'll go get the other one sooner or later...this way you at least save on shipping...;)

...and that's it for me...no more enabling! :D