Grammostola pulchra spermathecae?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a couple G. pulchras. All of them molted and one I took its molt to put under a microscope.
I found that the particular one looks female but than realized that there was no reference. Does anyone have what a Gp's spermathecae looks like?

I would think that its similar to the other grammostola's. (Reference http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/586#Chel )

So anyway heres a microscope picture and the size of the T. Its the second time I sexed this particular one female via molt under a microscope. Magnified 100X

Out of the 3 I have, this one is my favorite so I am hoping its a female. She is super super calm!

The only reference I can find on the G. pulchra is a ventral shot of a freshly molted male. (Reference Post #60 http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=802439&highlight=g+pulchra#post802439)

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For me, it's difficult to tell. It's not like it's going to grow up quick and mature even if it is male, so just be patient and wait till it's bigger. ;)

From the references I'm using, everything is indicating that the spermathecae should be appearing as two nodes around this size, and should grow into one.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From the references I'm using, everything is indicating that the spermathecae should be appearing as two nodes around this size, and should grow into one.
I'm not worried about if its male cause i have a couple. I'm sure one will be female. Just this particular one is the one I'm partial to and hope for a female. For me Males are a no no matter the age. I would only keep males to breed. Just personal preference and how I play in this hobby.

As for the nodes... If you look on the right side of the center you will notice one node. I tried to position the molt to try and reveal another one but its too small to work with.
I would like to see a reference. Do you have one to go with your comment?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, but it's an old publication and the references are all drawings. It's called "Sex Determination of Immature Theraphosid Spiders From Their Cast Skins" by Kathleen and John Hancock. It's from the nineties. ;)

I'll have to take some pictures and upload them. There are also no G. pulchra references, but there are G. pulchripes and G. rosea, but all the other species they worked with showed two nodes as well.

Give me a little while to get pics and upload them. I've got a lot going atm with here and homework that I'm half-assing because I'm here instead. :}

--Joe

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll have to take some pictures and upload them. There are also no G. pulchra references, but there are G. pulchripes and G. rosea, but all the other species they worked with showed two nodes as well.
--Joe
Yeah thats what I found as well from my research. (I added the links in my first post) Almost all the Grammostolas has 2 nodes. I figured this would be a great start in getting some reference on this one. After all its one of the most desired.

Thanks for the gesture for the upload of those reference drawings. I appreciate it.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I cant beleive it! I looked at that page a whole bunch of times looking for G pulchra and could not see it. :? Its also the same link I have in my first post.:wall:
I do have it booked mark too! Thank you for enlightening me Moose35

Now I'm certain its a female. Now I can name her!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wanted to update this with a confirmed spermathecae of a G. pulchra. This molt is 2.5" LS.
This is the same G pulchra as the above pictures. She molted today again.