Grammostola porteri "Violet Hue"

14pokies

Arachnoprince
To me it looks like most freshly molted G.porteri... Like all animals some are prettier than others..

I personally feel that adding thing like Violet hue to a species name could confuse things unless this is a valid subspecies or local..

Last edited:

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Beautiful shots, and beautiful T :) I personally love closeup shots. To see something so small blown up so large and detailed never gets old to me.

Here's my feeble attempt at a closeup of my B. smithi

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To me it looks like most freshly molted G.porteri... Like all animals some are prettier than others..

I personally feel that adding thinks like Violet hue to a species name could confuse things unless this is a valid subspecies or local..
It's "Violet Hue" for a reason the photos you see of the Grammostola species are all freshly molted. With the G. porteri I have three color variant and that's not including the "Northern Type" that there is at least 6 different color variant.

I'm not dealing with just one specimen I have at least 40 Grammostola species between the porteri and the northern type.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's "Violet Hue" for a reason the photos you see of the Grammostola species are all freshly molted. With the G. porteri I have three color variant and that's not including the "Northern Type" that there is at least 6 different color variant.

I'm not dealing with just one specimen I have at least 40 Grammostola species between the porteri and the northern type.
Are they from different localitys than say just a regular purple carapace and gray leg pet trade type?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are they from different localitys than say just a regular purple carapace and gray leg pet trade type?
That's the problem when the importers import these species in large numbers is only listed imported from Chile, the exact locality they will not have that info. If they did I would know the exact locality of my Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra" where it was collected.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's the problem when the importers import these species in large numbers is only listed imported from Chile, the exact locality they will not have that info. If they did I would know the exact locality of my Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra" where it was collected.
Do you think think it's possible to get Ts that look like violet hue from breeding regular purple/silver porteri?
Or in your opinion should violet hue only be bred with violet hue?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you think think it's possible to get Ts that look like violet hue from breeding regular purple/silver porteri?
Or in your opinion should violet hue only be bred with violet hue?
Let's put it this way with the new revision of the Aphonopelma species we come to find out that the Tucson Blond, Payson Blond, Arizona Blond ect. all from Arizona that are being classify as one species which is chalcodes, oh and don't let me forget the chalcodes from Mexico is still classify as chalcodes. All of them have a slight different appearance from one another so my opinion is very simple if we wish to breed this species from different localities we need to treat them like if they are different species. We need to preserve the same appearance that nature naturally selected them as, so find a male and female that look the same and if you happen to know the locality of them that would be even better. Why mix match appearances? Here are some samples of four females from different localities of the chalcodes. I believe the last photo is the "Payson Blond" I will check my records to be sure.

Aphonopelma chalcodes "New River"

Aphonopelma chalcodes "Arizona Blond"

Aphonopelma chalcodes "Mexico"

Aphonopelma chalcodes "Payson Blond"

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Let's put it this way with the new revision of the Aphonopelma species we come to find out that the Tucson Blond, Payson Blond, Arizona Blond ect. all from Arizona that are being classify as one species which is chalcodes, oh and don't let me forget the chalcodes from Mexico is still classify as chalcodes. All of them have a slight different appearance from one another so my opinion is very simple if we wish to breed this species from different localities we need to treat them like if they are different species. We need to preserve the same appearance that nature naturally selected them as, so find a male and female that look the same and if you happen to know the locality of them that would be even better. Why mix match appearances? Here are some samples of three females from different localities of the chalcodes.

Aphonopelma chalcodes "New River"

Aphonopelma chalcodes "Arizona Blond"

Aphonopelma chalcodes "Mexico"

Awesome man.. I agree that different localitys or different color variants shouldn't be mixed..

I just worry that with such subtle color differences some vendors will mark Ts that look similar to violet hue will mark them as such just to make a quicker sale..

I'm just jaded from the BP market I guess..I have seen so many people mark snakes as high gold this reduced pattern that.. Only to make there snakes more marketable.. It will be a dark day if that starts happening in the T hobby.. Lol

By no means am I trying to say that you are doing this.. I think your efforts are to keep diffferent locality, possible species seperate.. It will be interesting to see the slings from any pairings you get!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome man.. I agree that different localitys or different color variants shouldn't be mixed..

I just worry that with such subtle color differences some vendors will mark Ts that look similar to violet hue will mark them as such just to make a quicker sale..

I'm just jaded from the BP market I guess..I have seen so many people mark snakes as high gold this reduced pattern that.. Only to make there snakes more marketable.. It will be a dark day if that starts happening in the T hobby.. Lol

By no means am I trying to say that you are doing this.. I think your efforts are to keep diffferent locality, possible species seperate.. It will be interesting to see the slings from any pairings you get!
Vendors already mixed up the "Northern Type" as porteri. For a while I realized that Grammostola sp. "Maule" is actually Grammostola sp. "Concepción" and I've also been sold some Grammostola rosea as "Maule" as well. So one day about a month ago someone on Facebook Arachnoboards made a post towards the possibility of "Maule" being the same as "Concepción" after the post was made replies pored in and that seemed to be the case "Maule" is the same as "Concepción".

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My craigslist porteri has that beautiful violet hue as well, very different from another porteri I also bought from craigslist.
DSCF1142.JPG