Grammostola Porteri (chilean rose hair)

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Okay...today i bought painted rock cave for the rose hair that is about 5inches...my question is, is it harmful to use them? Pet store told me they are perfect cave but I dont trust information i would get from them since they arent tarantula keeper therefore not in position to say anything..I'll try to upload the picture if I can to show enclosure setup, I use coconut fiber..not too dry but I tried my best to make dry much as possible..
I know not the best picture but shows what I mean

Attachments

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Honestly I am not sure. My guess is no because a pet store hyped that product. On the other hand it looks similar to some hides I've purchased and work quite well.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
As long as it´s painted with water proof colours, I can´t see why it should be unsafe to use.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The problem with some painted hides is they are made for reptiles and as a secondary thought petstores say they are suitable for inverts, This is where the issues begin a tarantula will and often does bite down and sort of scrape fangs on hard surfaces which could cause paint chips that could be toxic to the tarantula

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Okay thank you guys for informative replies :) they told me it's water proof..rose hair is usually in her cave so she won't be happy if I decide to replace it with something else. I will try to find the product on internet and come with reply so you know what exactly I have for her

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
According to the site it is made of 'pet-safe' and non-toxic materials.
It's probably okay, but it is better to research a product for safety before you use said product.
Replacing it will not make your spider 'angry'. As long as she has a hide, it doesn't matter if it is a half log or one made of Swarovski crystal ;)

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Is it okay to use coconut fiber substrate for chilean rose hair tarantulas? I was told they dont like it

Leila

Arachnobaron
Is it okay to use coconut fiber substrate for chilean rose hair tarantulas? I was told they dont like it
I use bone dry coco fiber sub for my G. porteri, and he is content. Just do not moisten the substrate. :)
Out of curiousity, who told ya they don't like it?

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I use bone dry coco fiber sub for my G. porteri, and he is content. Just do not moisten the substrate. :)
Out of curiousity, who told ya they don't like it?
The guy that sold me her said coconut fiber does keep humidity level they dont like which is true but i think as long as you keep it dry as possible it shouldnt be issue like you said. She was calm in his care but now skittish so it might have to do something with her mood swing most likely..rose hairs are big time unpredictable animals as we all know

clive 82

Arachnoknight
The guy that sold me her said coconut fiber does keep humidity level they dont like which is true but i think as long as you keep it dry as possible it shouldnt be issue like you said. She was calm in his care but now skittish so it might have to do something with her mood swing most likely..rose hairs are big time unpredictable animals as we all know
The skittishness could also be due to being rehoused when you got her? Plus as you say the mood swings that they are famous for.

cold blood

Staff member
Wrong...any sub can be used for any tarantula species, its the keepers personal preference, nothing more. It doesn't matter how well or poorly a sub holds moisture, that fact is completely irrelevant as its going to be kept dry anyway.

One thing to know when using eco earth, jungle mix or coco fiber, and that is that it will need to be tamped down firmly.