Grammostola lying on it's back

Labrys

Arachnopeon
I got my first t recently from a breeder here in Washington, a juvenile Grammostola Rosea. I had gotten him only two days ago on the 15th so seeing him lying on his back in what I assumed was him starting to molt was a surprise, though not much of one considering he was showing signs before hand (didn't eat when I first tried to feed him as the breeder hadn't told me the last time he was fed so I wanted to get him on a schedule for eating early, was some what sluggish in movement though seeing as I only got him recently I hadn't noticed it at first, incredibly dull compared to post molted specimens, hiding more often then not, lying on his back he looked fairly shiny and abdomen somewhat swollen) he's not in a death curl and hasn't been so I know he hasn't died. When I first saw and inspected him it was around 11 pm, I went to bed seeing as it was late and I woke up a few hours later because I set an alarm to go check on him. It's currently 3 am and he is still lying on his back with no signs of progression on a molt. I had seen him twitching earlier but other then that, there has been no movement.

Is this normal behavior? Would it be okay to sprits him with water or to gently prod him or should I wait longer? I don't want to stress him out on his first molt in my possession but I'm starting to get worried and at this point I'm not even sure he's molting.

Thank you in advance.

Hi
Do not touch the spider or even the enclosure!!!
Moulting is a stressful process for tarantulas.
It know best what is doing.
Wait it out.
You can do more damage than good if you intervene.
Regards Konstantin

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Even though it does sound like normal moulting behaviour, a photo of the spider would enable people to give proper advice.

Labrys

Arachnopeon
WAIT

and read more about Ts
I've read lots I just wasn't expecting molting to take this long and was worried. The time lapses I'd seen of molting definitely skewed my vision of the process. I went back to bed and didn't mess with him and he's only now finishing up.

Even though it does sound like normal moulting behaviour, a photo of the spider would enable people to give proper advice.
He's definitely molting! The molt was lying in his little den thingy when I woke back up.

Last edited by a moderator: