Grammostola aureostriata

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Grammostola aureostriata has not seemed to feed in almost 5 months now. I know that Grammostola sp. are somewhat known for this, but 5 months seems like a long time when it doesnt appear to be in pre-molt. The spider is a juvenile probably about 3.5" or so. It does not appear "skinny" but actually somewhat fat. Im keeping it completely dry in a large KK with a water bowl which is filled weekly for it. I know this is probably normal, but is there anything else i can do to possibly make conditions better for it?

-Nate

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Grammostola aureostriata has not seemed to feed in almost 5 months now. I know that Grammostola sp. are somewhat known for this, but 5 months seems like a long time when it doesnt appear to be in pre-molt. The spider is a juvenile probably about 3.5" or so. It does not appear "skinny" but actually somewhat fat. Im keeping it completely dry in a large KK with a water bowl which is filled weekly for it. I know this is probably normal, but is there anything else i can do to possibly make conditions better for it?

-Nate
Sounds like normal Grammastola behavior. Just keep offering food and make sure it always has access to water.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think your conditions are perfectly fine. Are you sure it isn't in premolt? If you are, then it's probably just fasting. Remember this species is slow in every attribute.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, true that they are slow in every attribute......but that's mostly true when they reach jeuvenile.....not really as slings. As slings they grow at almost a normal pace......but as they get bigger, they SLOOWWW down a lot.

If you haven't fed her in 5 months, and the abdomen is large, then I'd bet it's premoult.......not weird grammy behavior. just my opinion.

Orchidspider

Arachnopeon
Mine was very fat for a long time, and I didn't feed her and she didn't seem very interested in eating. They seem to have control over over eating and just won't eat if they have a fat cephelo thorax. Mine also moulted after a 3 month fast. Great spider, can't recommend them enough for holding and just looking at. They can get 7", and mine is EXTREEMLY docile. So Id say your doing fine and your spider is being typical.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, true that they are slow in every attribute......but that's mostly true when they reach jeuvenile.....not really as slings. As slings they grow at almost a normal pace......but as they get bigger, they SLOOWWW down a lot.
I still think they grow "slow" for slings, so I still think my theory falls into play.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I still think they grow "slow" for slings, so I still think my theory falls into play.
well, yeah....they're slow growing compared to most species.

but when they are slings....that's the closest to normal that they'll ever get!

electra

Arachnopeon
Mine did the same thing, about 5 months no food, then it moulted, then it was hungry. At first I was worried, then I realized there was nothing I could do about it and kept offering it food. Live and learn, I guess.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine did the same thing, about 5 months no food, then it moulted, then it was hungry. At first I was worried, then I realized there was nothing I could do about it and kept offering it food. Live and learn, I guess.
exactly, you should definitely do this. it's a live and learn process. feed, wait 24 hrs, check for where the food went, if you don't see it, it's probably already been taken. if not, remove, and try again a few days later. that's what i normally do.