Grammostola aureostriata

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi all,
Well my wife surprised me again and got me another tarantula for my birthday.
:D
My new tarantula is a Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola aureostriata). I am looking for information on this species and any first hand accounts that can be shared.
The tarantula is a confirmed female (from shed exuvia) and is about 2.5". This one is much more active than my G. pulchra and my G. rosea so I'm not wure what to expect.
Seems really gentle though.
So any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
By the way, I did check the care sheets and found some great information, but am always looking for more.
Thanks!
Ralph

:D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that's great Ralph!
I will give you my experience with mine:
I got him from Golden Phoenix Exotica last November 14 at 1"
Here is his molt record:
12-27-01 to 1.5"
2-5-02 to 2.5"
3-21-02 to 3"
5-20-02 to 3.75"

I am guessing on the last size, since he hasn't molted since. I thought that he was a he, based on molting times. But no molting now for a long time, so I don't know.
Behaviour:
very squirrely...this is a spastic T! I think that they get their calm behaviour once they get a bit larger, and I've heard that males are more spastic then females, another indication that I may have a male.
He is a good eater, but a bit shy. He won't take large crickets, he'll just flick hair at them.
Holding him is a bit of a challenge, almost like holding an avic.
They are a great T though, do you know the gender?

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine is a adult female that I got from Pat at regal. She is wonderful. Docile as can be. You can even rub her fangs and she did nothing( don't not try this as all T's are different) I have never seen her flick even one hair. She has even eaten a pinky and plenty of crickets. I just got her about 2 months ago so no molt yet. Not sure about her size I have not measured her yet. Good luck with yours they are great.:D ;) :)

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Holley,
The seller told me it was a female. He indicated that he had it at his home for a while and was planning on keeping it for himself, but changed his mind and brought it back to the store.
He seemed very knowlegeable and I was impressed at the number of tarantulas he was selling. There were over 200 in stock and so many different varieties.
The store is in Virginia Beach, VA. which is a bit of a drive from my home, but I am planning on going back this coming weekend to possibly pick up another type.
He has small King Baboons, and several Tiger Rumps. Also had a number of ornamentals! I was very impressed! Also tons more.
Ralph

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow! i'm jealous..... the only species i've ever seen in local pet stores around here are rosies--and once i saw an a. avic

kellygirl

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, We have an about 7 inch female, and she can be rather feisty. The other night Ron went to do some cage maintenance and she really went wild. She was stridulating and striking at him. There are times that you can pet her, but she is very moody. If she appears to be in a bad mood, stay away from her. ;)