Grammostola Aureostriata ?s

Quickone4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I've been reading up on the G. Aureo and really have come to like what I've read about them and the pictures I've seen. I have bought everything I need to setup for this kind of T and am looking to make a purchase within the coming week. From what I've read, they're care seems to be similar to that of a Rosie in that they don't require much humidity or temperature, they should be provided a hide,and are mostly docile but may be a bit skittish at times. What I've read that is different is that some seem to be a little more active then a Rosie at times, grow to about 7-8" as adults, and will sometimes climb. I wanted to check here to see what yall thought of the info I have and to see if anybody could provide me with anymore info on this T such as, handling,temperment,what you like or dislike, as well as any other tips or advice before I took the plunge. The more I read and see about this T, the more I feel I would love to own one. Thanks for any help in advance. Mike

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That sounds about right. They're comparable to a L. parahybana when it comes to apetite (at least mine is), they get about just as big, but they're slower-growing. I've never handled mine because she's very bitey towards everything that moves right now.

Quickone4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome! I was just getting ready to edit my post to say I had also read they were slow growers but, read they grew faster then Rosies and to ask if the size range was correct. Thank you very much for your quick reply and help. I'm very excited about ordering and receiving one of these Ts:drool:

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a 4 inch female and there is nothing at all to dislike about her. Care is simple,keep a full water dish and a hide. One thing you do need to remember is that they like it DRY, bone dry. Make sure your substrate is not moist when you set it up, if it is it will most likely climb until it drys out,mine sure did.

In regard to handleing, mine is not at all skittish and is one of the most handleable T.s I have. But temperment always varys from one to another so you will just have to see how yours behaves. Keep in mind that they are slow growers once they reach a certain size. Mine has not molted in over a year and is showing no sign of doing it anytime soon.

Good luck with yours you made a great choice.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One thing not mentioned is that they are little earth movers. They will tunnel, dig, bury dishes and in general remodel their enclosure thoroughly and frequently. I keep mine with their water dish half full or they'll have a sopping wet tank from all the times they bury it or pile it full of substrate. They are definitely not a pet rock and give you plenty of time to watch them doing things.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ditto on the good choice.

I love "Scooter" my little G aureo. I handle him lots, he is about 3" right now and molted about 6 months ago. I got him when he was the size of my fingernail and have watched him grow up!

He really bonded to his first home, two pieces of cardboard topped by a small piece of cork bark for a hide. I didn't move him until he kept trying to get in and was too big!! Now four times that size, he still sits on his cardboard piece under a large cork bark. It's his blanket.

I'm saying all this to illustrate his depth of personality and he has tons. I hope you like your new T as much as most of us love our G aureo's!

Quickone4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm so excited about this T! The Rosie my girlfriend and I own stays at her house but, this one will be staying at mine. I can't wait, I may just put the order in tonight. Thank you all for the advice and input.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She's about 3.5", somewhere in there.

She grew this much in 17 months-
thats sweet! mine is just a little guy like in the first molt you have there. I always assumed they were slow growers.

so far it seems like a pretty calm T, easy to handle and very low maintenance. Mine also eats like a pig and will take down crickets its own size

LasidoraGT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha for a second I thought that was the actual T{D
Anyway, I love EVERYTHING about my aureostriata, very docile, pretty active, good eater and yes she is an earth mover. Not to mention absolutly beautiful:p

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You sound just like me before I bought my first T, which was also G aureostriata. So excited!

The thing to remember is that they are docile and handleable *compared with other T's*. In my experience, they are the most handleable. But they still don't like it, so don't be surprised if it really acts like it doesn't want to be handled. At least until you've had it a while. Mine was rather unsocial (which was traumatizing to me) until after its first molt for some reason. In fact when I first tried to hold it, it flicked hair at me.

It never did after that, though, even when she's been in a really bad mood and I've pestered her more than I should have.

Also people talk about them being active...well...not really. In fact, I have never seen a T be active to speak of after its settling in period. Just be prepared for really inactive, and then you won't be disappointed. I guess you've seen your girlfriends' rosie so...

I wouldn't say they are as good of eaters as LP's. In fact, mine is one of the least prey-aggressive T's, I have. She frequently lets crickets crawl right under and around her and forget dubia. In fact the only T I can think of that's less interested in food than my G aureo is my B emilia.

G aureo is a real winner. The fact that they just don't like to flick hair and their size (which I think causes their docility, frankly) make them an excellent first T.

Quickone4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats awesome! Very good looking T from what I can tell by the molt that you have there Aurelia :drool:

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, and as adults anyway, they don't tend to hide. In fact mine never used a hide ever except when I have tried to catch her so I could change enclosures.

Quickone4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You sound just like me before I bought my first T, which was also G aureostriata. So excited!

The thing to remember is that they are docile and handleable *compared with other T's*. In my experience, they are the most handleable. But they still don't like it, so don't be surprised if it really acts like it doesn't want to be handled. At least until you've had it a while. Mine was rather unsocial (which was traumatizing to me) until after its first molt for some reason. In fact when I first tried to hold it, it flicked hair at me.

It never did after that, though, even when she's been in a really bad mood and I've pestered her more than I should have.

Also people talk about them being active...well...not really. In fact, I have never seen a T be active to speak of after its settling in period. Just be prepared for really inactive, and then you won't be disappointed. I guess you've seen your girlfriends' rosie so...

I wouldn't say they are as good of eaters as LP's. In fact, mine is one of the least prey-aggressive T's, I have. She frequently lets crickets crawl right under and around her and forget dubia. In fact the only T I can think of that's less interested in food than my G aureo is my B emilia.

G aureo is a real winner. The fact that they just don't like to flick hair and their size (which I think causes their docility, frankly) make them an excellent first T.
Sounds great to me. This will actually be our second T, the first we bought together, we keep at my girlfriends and have had about half a year now. I do most of the caretaking for our Rosie though. My girlfriend loves her, just isn't ready to venture inside the terrarium yet. The chaco I will be keeping at my place, just not enough room at the GF house(which is where I spend most my time) for another T right now.

Newyork

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, and as adults anyway, they don't tend to hide. In fact mine never used a hide ever except when I have tried to catch her so I could change enclosures.
Yeah pretty much mine doesn't hide either. She'll go in the hid and dig in it but she won't stay there for more than a few minutes.

Mine is the same way. She lets her food walk all over untill she gets angery. then she bits them and leaves them lying around for a while more. She eats them a few hours later.

metalbum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah my lil one about 1" is a lil climber and earth mover. She (hoping its a she) is also really easy to handle although she can be a bit skittish. Mine has a good appetite and usually doesn't let food walk all over her although she has but she almost never does it. Yeah the slow growing part is true but hey its worth the wait. You should go ahead and order one if you haven't already. You can't go wrong.

Last edited:

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Belle does everything a good G. aureo should do. She dumps her water dish, rolls it around, webs over it, moves dirt around, chases paper across the vent on the KK lid, and sticks her fangs through them. :D

marvs08

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One thing not mentioned is that they are little earth movers. They will tunnel, dig, bury dishes and in general remodel their enclosure thoroughly and frequently. I keep mine with their water dish half full or they'll have a sopping wet tank from all the times they bury it or pile it full of substrate. They are definitely not a pet rock and give you plenty of time to watch them doing things.
I have the exact experience! They are so active and mine really hated his water dish and will topple it down each time i fill it up... :)

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm so excited about this T! The Rosie my girlfriend and I own stays at her house but, this one will be staying at mine. I can't wait, I may just put the order in tonight. Thank you all for the advice and input.
Your excitement is contagious! (And you've gotten me very interested in this species, too.) I look forward to more in this thread (or maybe a new one?) when you get the T! :)

--Diane