Grammastola Pulchripes Sling Growth

Nik2894

Arachnopeon
Hey,

So I just picked up my first G. Pulchripes sling the other day as I can't find anything bigger ATM, it is about 1-2cm right now so teeny tiny lol. I know Grammastola can be very slow growing, just wondering how long it took yours to put on size? Can't wait for it to get out of the fragile stage.

I have been feeding a cricket leg which it devoured and also roughly temp seems to be about 23-24 in celsius in the house right now. Any advice on your slings would be great.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Pulchripes grow at a decent pace actually. They aren't like pulchra or some of the other snails in the genus. Shouldn't take too long

Nik2894

Arachnopeon
That's good news then. It's the first sling that I've owned (wasn't expecting to receive it) so I'll be relieved when it gets a bit bigger. Thanks for the reply! :)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
G. pulchripes grow quite slow, but not as slow as G. pulchra or A. chalcodes. Individual specimens will vary and some may grow faster or slower depending on your individual specimen. I have 3 G. pulchripes slings that were hatched on October of 2016. Today, two of them are about 3''-3.5'' and the last one is still at 1.5'' which is the slowest growing one I have. So just consider that individual specimens will vary drastically in terms of growth.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey,

So I just picked up my first G. Pulchripes sling the other day as I can't find anything bigger ATM, it is about 1-2cm right now so teeny tiny lol. I know Grammastola can be very slow growing, just wondering how long it took yours to put on size? Can't wait for it to get out of the fragile stage.

I have been feeding a cricket leg which it devoured and also roughly temp seems to be about 23-24 in celsius in the house right now. Any advice on your slings would be great.

Asking someone how fast their T grew is really useless IF the person doesn't respond with useful info beyond size and time. If I told you mine took 3 yr to grow X size, that would have no value to you.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I got my Grammostola pulchripes in early November 2019. It was about 1.75” to 2” when I first got it. Sort of pale with light banding. It just moulted again, within the last 12 days.

I keep all my slings in a temperature regulated cabinet set at 79 degrees. It seems to nudge their growth rate just a bit.

Significantly larger now, pushing at least 2.25” +. After one more moult it’ll be going into a larger container.

A94B090F-13D4-46EF-9C45-E6F4CFD02A5D.jpeg

Not much of a display spider, it tends to slip into it’s burrow and hide whenever I mess with its enclosure.

3519D22D-F9AC-4EBE-B803-2A7FF82C3D91.jpeg

This was taken before the last moult. It’s darkened significantly with this most recent moult.

Last edited:

Kaden Bryant

Arachnosquire
I got mine three years ago at .75”. She’s kept at room temperature and fed weeklyish and now is around 3.5”. In comparison, my A. chalcodes, who I got at the same time at .5”, is just barely pushing 1.75”.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Hey,

Okay so from the breeders that I've spoken with:

Grammostola pulchripes is very slow growing as a tiny sling.

Once the slings reach 1” or a bit bigger, they then tend to take off and grow much faster; until they hit 3” to 4”...then they tend to slow down again.

Nik2894

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply guys, I know it varies from Tarantula to tarantula but was just curious at to others experiences. If any expos go ahead in the UK later this year (given the current situation) I may try and pick up a bigger specimen. At least I'll have my tiny sling for a while lol

Poonjab

Arachnoking
This thread is just what I was looking for. I just picked up a G.pulchripes. Was curious if the sling growth matched what I had read. Indeed it does.

cold blood

Staff member
Grammostola pulchripes is very slow growing as a tiny sling.
Ive raised literally hundreds of G. pulchripes, the above hasn't ever been my experience unless theyre housed in over size enclosures. They eat well and molt with good frequency, like every 40-50 days when small, kept relatively warm and fed well enough. I actually experimented with several species, pulchripes was the largest contributing species....literally every one housed in 2oz deli cups grew pretty quickly, literally, and without exception, every single one housed in an over size enclosure (16oz deli cup) grew at a snails pace....so really IME, growth rates are dependent on how they are kept.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Ive raised literally hundreds of G. pulchripes, the above hasn't ever been my experience unless theyre housed in over size enclosures. They eat well and molt with good frequency, like every 40-50 days when small, kept relatively warm and fed well enough. I actually experimented with several species, pulchripes was the largest contributing species....literally every one housed in 2oz deli cups grew pretty quickly, literally, and without exception, every single one housed in an over size enclosure (16oz deli cup) grew at a snails pace....so really IME, growth rates are dependent on how they are kept.
In your opinion, does having a T in too small of an enclosure affect growth rates?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Your deli cup trick has been of great benefit, unfortunately my 1st G.pulchripes sling was started in a tall narrow AMAC box...so yeah, it is what it is.

Soon I'll get a group of G.pulchripes, and have a better grasp of the species as they grow.

Darkcrystal

Arachnopeon
Exactly what I wanted to know! Got my very first T, Grammostola Pulchripes. Got it at just under 2" days after a molt and was curious how long between molts. Thank you for being so specific!

cold blood

Staff member
Exactly what I wanted to know! Got my very first T, Grammostola Pulchripes. Got it at just under 2" days after a molt and was curious how long between molts. Thank you for being so specific!
Those numbers were for slings...by 2+" molt times start to get a lot more extended...expect more like 3-5 months depending on your temps......fast growth is up to just about the size you purchased your at.