Grammastola Pulchripes Hiding in Tree

elvasco

Arachnopeon
The enclosure looks a bit big for her?

Btw, I have those same trees haha, tho I do not use them in my T enclosures. I use them around one of my mini fountains. They are not really made for inhabited terrariums. The fluffy stuff looks died and could be toxic. I suppose yours is fine since it has been living in it tho haha.
I appreciate the heads up! Fair point on the toxicity - but maybe I should pull them out? I'm not against it by any stretch. She seems to like it, but I yield to your expertise.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Hey All,

So I have a weird question and am looking for advice. I'm fairly new to the hobby and only have one T - a grammastola Pulchripes. I've raised her (maybe him?) From a tiny sling and she is now about 2 years old and I think a solid juve (about 3 inches). After her last molt about 2 weeks ago I decided on Sunday to move her to her new forever home. Here is the problem; I put some decorative trees and she has climbed in one and now is living life as a tree dwelling T. Is this a problem? Should I encourage her out or just let her be? So weird. Thanks for any advice. View attachment 355217 View attachment 355218 View attachment 355219
This enclosure reminds me of the movie Night of the Lepus.
Anyone else?

elvasco

Arachnopeon
So I live in CA but the "theme" was to be about the Utah Jazz as I grew up in Utah. The T is named "Donovan 'Spyda' Mitchell" hence the SLC background

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I can dig it. I like the silhouette of the city on your background and I think your theme is cool. The model railroad trees reminded me of the special effects in Night of the Lepus. At least your T is more frightening than bunnies. Who's afraid of bunnies?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Are you thinking the T is reacting to fumes from the sharpie?
No. I don't think that's why she hid in the tree....but i don't like the idea at all.

Don't get too creative with household items unless you know they are toxic free and DEFINITELY stay away from stuff you know is toxic.

elvasco

Arachnopeon
No. I don't think that's why she hid in the tree....but i don't like the idea at all.

Don't get too creative with household items unless you know they are toxic free and DEFINITELY stay away from stuff you know is toxic.
Che you make a great point - I don't know ddefinitely if it would be toxic to her, bit I'd be open to take it out if you recommend

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Decorating is fun, but first and foremost you have to keep in mind it is the tarantulas home. Its needs might not let you make your dream terrarium (though you can make little display ones without T's) . My G.Pulcra just likes to have dirt and a hole under its wood hide. I did give it plants before but they were buried haha. I did a really nice terrarium for my h.mac and it just webbed up everything with dirt. (the tunnels look cool tho)

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Decorating is fun, but first and foremost you have to keep in mind it is the tarantulas home. Its needs might not let you make your dream terrarium (though you can make little display ones without T's) . My G.Pulcra just likes to have dirt and a hole under its wood hide. I did give it plants before but they were buried haha. I did a really nice terrarium for my h.mac and it just webbed up everything with dirt. (the tunnels look cool tho)
I'll piggyback on this. These aren't fish tanks or poison dart frog vivs where you can scape them until your heart is content. Tarantulas need simple, boring set ups for the most part.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I'll piggyback on this. These aren't fish tanks or poison dart frog vivs where you can scape them until your heart is content. Tarantulas need simple, boring set ups for the most part.
Also if you really want to decorate, you can consider decorating AROUND the enclosure. The Background is a good idea, I like that. I personally have some fake vines and a couple real plants around the self they are on. It gives it a good "jungle" look while giving the T's what they want.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Also if you really want to decorate, you can consider decorating AROUND the enclosure. The Background is a good idea, I like that. I personally have some fake vines and a couple real plants around the self they are on. It gives it a good "jungle" look while giving the T's what they want.
That is actually pretty nifty thinking for the creative types. You can do A LOT to empty shelf space!