Grammastola Psychosis

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I am wondering if anyone has a nutty Pulchra, Acteon, etc.....
My G Actaeon is a psychopath. Completely unpredictable. It's also like 2" and molted twice in the past 6 months. I have a bunch of G Rosea, Porteri, and Pulchripes but they're still too small to make an assessment. My ihrengi has a really impressive food response and seems to appreciate moisture more than the other grammas

8 legged

Arachnoprince
So years ago we found out a certain percentage of G rosea were a tad on the cranky to nutty side. I have a feeling this may be genus wide, because my G pulchripes is the antithesis of how they typically are. My pulchra has the very stereotypical responses, but when I rehoused my pulchripes she is just downright ornery.
Anyone have any similar experiences with other members of this genus?
I don't own pulchripes. I have two pulchras; one is calm and serene - as it is supposed to be. The other one is bitchy and would definitely bite... They are siblings and were raised more or less identically. So far, I haven't had any significant change in behavior after molting either...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So years ago we found out a certain percentage of G rosea were a tad on the cranky to nutty side. I have a feeling this may be genus wide, because my G pulchripes is the antithesis of how they typically are. My pulchra has the very stereotypical responses, but when I rehoused my pulchripes she is just downright ornery.
Anyone have any similar experiences with other members of this genus?
Not me- my pulchripes been a peach!
Even my Rose was easy going

I haven’t owned a T that didn’t behave like most said it would.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My 3” G. iheringi is becoming less skittish. More likely to turn around and let me know it’s ready to fight if I don’t back away. Also will look like it’s ready to kick hairs if irritated. Thing needs some therapy and a hug.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I have 2 G. pulchripes, a male and a female raised from tiny slings now about 3.5 -4 inches. They pretty much have the same temperament, very calm. Never had a threat pose or hair flicking from either. The only difference in behavior is the male will slowly walk towards me and the female will slowly walk into her hide when I open the enclosures.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
okay so far we have the 10% grammstola Psychosis reported in Pulchra, Acteon, Pulchripes (more than mine) and of course rosea. My 2 are roughly the same age, and have been raised in essentially identical enclosures their entire life with the same husbandry. So I don't think it is environmental, I think a certain % just have an aggro-gene expression in them. My pulchra has all standard responses, very docile, walks slowly away from brush stimulation, etc.... my pulchripes is more prone to turning on stimuli, sometimes attacking or throwing postures.

Last edited:

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
I have only ever seen 2-3 threat displays (fangs barred and all) from my old G porteri in 10+ years. Conversely I had an H maculata and P regalis that never gave he any behavioral issues. I hardly ever actually saw the H mac and the regalis never bolted or showed any obvious signs of skittishness or aggression.