Grammastola aureostriatum

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After a Grammastola aureostriatum stops eating how long should it take for one that is about 2.5" to molt? I purchased it on 1/7/07, It was said to have eaten 2 days before I purchased it. How many weeks should I be expectiong to wait on a molt?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Unfortunately, there's no way to answer this question with anything other than wild guess work. It could be as little as a few days to months from when a T of any size stops eating until it moults. Best advice is to not think about this sort of stuff.

You can tell when a T is in pre-moult by food refusal and/or a darkening abdomen. You can tell when it's about to moult if you catch it in the process of laying down the moulting mat of silk. What you can't do is accurately predict the interval between when it shows the first definitive signs of moulting and when it goes to lay down the moulting mat.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well im pretty sure it is in pre molt because of the refusal of food,and the abdomen starting to scab up and is starting to turn somewhat dark above the scab. On the other hand, it has been pretty active moving around its encloser but I thought that may be because it is getting familiar to its surrounding. It has also done some bulldozing around in the substrate. So you think I should offer food again and she just have been stressed before? Because I see very little webbing and no silk molt mats yet.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If it's refusing food, don't offer food, fullstop. All the crickets will do is stress it out--or cause serious or fatal injury if they're still in there when it goes to molt.

Just *wait*. Don't get worked up trying to calculate how many days, don't get into a tizzy if it takes more or fewer days/weeks/months than someone else's (molting mats usually don't get made until the day of the molt or just before), don't go digging it up if it hides for a while. Don't do anything. At all. Just wait.

Welcome to the world of owning a tarantula. :D

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
also isnt is aureostriata?i see alot of people label this aureostriatum:?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
According to Arachnopets, which is powered by Arachnoboads, its Grammastola aureostriatum. The pet shop name for this T is Chaco Goldenknee. So thats just were I got the scientific name for this. Here is the link, http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/gaureostriatumc.htm
Not to diss Scott's compilation, but it's wrong.

There is exactly one source for these questions, Platnick's World Spider Catalogue: http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/INTRO1.html

That is a site anybody who gives even the slightest hoot about taxonomy of arachnids has bookmarked.

The full, accurate name is "Grammostola aureostriata Schmidt & Bullmer".

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heheh, I knew I would get a correction for abbreviating. None the less, thanks for putting the full name out there.