Grain Mites in Dry Enclosure?

joossa

Arachnobaron
Have any of you gotten grain mites in bone dry enclosures?

I have had my B. hamorii in her enclosure for about 4 months. I keep it bone dry. Earlier in the week, I noticed some white/beige/tan colored, itty bitty mites floating on the water of one of her bowls (she has two) and walking around the rim of the bowl. I assume that they are grain mites. There weren't that many. Definitely not springtails.

I don't have any other T's or animals that would contaminate the area. (I've read and seen videos of horror situations where grain mites infest an entire shelf and originate from mealworm cultures.)

I decided to take out the two bowls for a few days in hopes it will deter them from multiplying. I know the mites are generally harmless, I just don't want them multiplying. I try to spot clean every so often, but she hasn't eaten and pooped all that much since I got her. Nothing really obvious to spot clean! And after a meal, it looks like she completely eats all of the cricket matter. I'm a newbie so, I've watched very closely as she she's eaten her past meals.

Would like to get your experiences with mites in dry enclosures.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I have had my B. hamorii in her enclosure for about 4 months. I keep it bone dry. Earlier in the week, I noticed some white/beige/tan colored, itty bitty mites floating on the water of one of her bowls (she has two) and walking around the rim of the bowl. I assume that they are grain mites. There weren't that many. Definitely not springtails.

I don't have any other T's or animals that would contaminate the area. (I've read and seen videos of horror situations where grain mites infest an entire shelf and originate from mealworm cultures.)

I decided to take out the two bowls for a few days in hopes it will deter them from multiplying. I know the mites are generally harmless, I just don't want them multiplying. I try to spot clean every so often, but she hasn't eaten and pooped all that much since I got her. Nothing really obvious to spot clean! And after a meal, it looks like she completely eats all of the cricket matter. I'm a newbie so, I've watched very closely as she she's eaten her past meals.

No T completely eats the entire cricket. They leave bits behind.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Do you want to get rid of them? Just keep the substrate bone dry and wash the water dishes daily with hot water until you see no mites. Also remove any uneaten food and boluses. This usually works well for me. Mites are generally considered harmless, but I don't like them.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

If you buy in feeders you will probably get grain mites, especially mealworms. If you breed your own and feed pet food or any cereal based food, you will have grain mites. When I buy in mealworms I chuck them into a clean container, clean out the other one, place dry kitchen paper in the now clean container and replace the mealworms. Do the same with crickets etc. Grain mites usually hitch a ride on feeders or are in the " stuff " that the feeders are in. Hot water cleaning of bowls etc. If you have a bone dry enclosure place a few Bay Leaves in the enclosure, that should keep mites at bay - bay leaves - get it ? Oh well.

joossa

Arachnobaron
Do you want to get rid of them? Just keep the substrate bone dry and wash the water dishes daily with hot water until you see no mites. Also remove any uneaten food and boluses. This usually works well for me. Mites are generally considered harmless, but I don't like them.
Thanks! Will do.

Blouses are hard to find, then. Haven't seen a single one.

joossa

Arachnobaron
If you buy in feeders you will probably get grain mites, especially mealworms. If you breed your own and feed pet food or any cereal based food, you will have grain mites. When I buy in mealworms I chuck them into a clean container, clean out the other one, place dry kitchen paper in the now clean container and replace the mealworms. Do the same with crickets etc. Grain mites usually hitch a ride on feeders or are in the " stuff " that the feeders are in. Hot water cleaning of bowls etc. If you have a bone dry enclosure place a few Bay Leaves in the enclosure, that should keep mites at bay - bay leaves - get it ? Oh well.
Good idea. Never done mealworms. Just crickets. But will try that out... and the bay leaves if it continues.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Boluses can be inconspicuous, look for small gray-ish balls, you probably won't find all of them, but if you manage to pick out the majority, there won't be a huge population of them. Unfortunately, they're always present. In very small numbers you don't notice them. If you get an explosion of mites, then you need to take a good look at your husbandry. Keeping it as dry as possible and picking out the boluses I can actually see has kept things in control. Good luck !