Gotta love garden centres

Bread

Arachnopeon
T.Stirmi, £34.99 3" 'great for first time owners and the kids'
£69.99 with enclosure (A 1 12"x8" job with sand, gravel and no water bowl).

Poor little guy was sat there in the open with screaming kids banging on his enclosure walls :/

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
lol, but anyway £35 for a T.stirmi is a great price. Wish to have here such prices. Here the same spider will cost more than (Euro) 150 :banghead:

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
One of those kids is going to get his parents to buy it, and get a lovely cloud of bristles in the face. Two days later, Tarantulas are illegal in the UK.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
One of those kids is going to get his parents to buy it, and get a lovely cloud of bristles in the face. Two days later, Tarantulas are illegal in the UK.
Nah. I mean, yes to the first part, nope to the second. They deal on daily basis with a beast like Prince Charles, aren't concerned by eight legged :)

Bread

Arachnopeon
I was tempted to tip a box of crickets on the little rodents to make em all run away :p

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Nah. I mean, yes to the first part, nope to the second. They deal on daily basis with a beast like Prince Charles, aren't concerned by eight legged :)
Maybe, but if the parents happen to be wealthy or influential enough, some restriction or another might end up being made.

basin79

ArachnoGod
T.Stirmi, £34.99 3" 'great for first time owners and the kids'
£69.99 with enclosure (A 1 12"x8" job with sand, gravel and no water bowl).

Poor little guy was sat there in the open with screaming kids banging on his enclosure walls :/
You're best asking who's in charge of the T's and offer them some (much needed) advice. Or failing that email them when you're home and offer them advice, link them to a proper care sheet etc.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Maybe, but if the parents happen to be wealthy or influential enough, some restriction or another might end up being made.
I understand your point of view and the logic behind that. Aside for jokes, I was serious. I remember once that a 'Pokie' was on the loose on a Bristol park (if I'm not wrong) and a Lady (a young mommy btw) interviewed about just "wow" so more or less the others. Here in Italy for that an entire city would panic and morons freak out.
I remember that Royal Mail spotted pretty hot (really hot) scorpions in the parcel once... not sure if that was in Wales, now. A tabloid talked about that. Still today Royal Mail parcel has "written" venomous all over. IMO they are used to that, they have a completely different mentality on the subject. They already have restrictions if I'm not wrong for particular hot ones, like DWA license.

Bread

Arachnopeon
You're best asking who's in charge of the T's and offer them some (much needed) advice. Or failing that email them when you're home and offer them advice, link them to a proper care sheet etc.
It's the first T I've seen in this particular garden centre, I did mention it to the fish man who said it wasn't actually 'stock' it was a 'showpiece' they had and won't be getting anymore.
Tempted to rescue(buy) him tomorrow, but don't want to fuel the fire.

basin79

ArachnoGod
It's the first T I've seen in this particular garden centre, I did mention it to the fish man who said it wasn't actually 'stock' it was a 'showpiece' they had and won't be getting anymore.
I fully understand that. So many "rescue" pets from shops only for the shop to just buy more. Education is key. I'd email them anyway. Even link this thread for them to see. The T needs the correct care asap.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
I would go in there ideally at a quieter time, and buy the poor T, you could EASILY move it on here if you didn't want to keep it.

You'll make profit quite easily, save the T from further unnecessary stress there, it will have a much better home and a VERY happy enthusiast :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Sadly it probably wouldn't help. I said something to my local petsway about their T husbandry, told them there was a forum they could get any questions at all answered

That was a couple months ago, the T's still don't have a water dish, just gel.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sadly it probably wouldn't help. I said something to my local petsway about their T husbandry, told them there was a forum they could get any questions at all answered

That was a couple months ago, the T's still don't have a water dish, just gel.
It's really annoying. Fair play for trying.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
It's really annoying. Fair play for trying.
I agree, it's very, very tempting to buy the two T's they have, but feeding the beast and what not.

Plus I'd probably end up paying the 150 for a probable male 2.5" B. Smithi, and 80 for an Unsexed young "rose hair"

Bread

Arachnopeon
I had to didn't I :p

Just got him home into an enclosure I knocked up for him this morning after some epic research, please double check what I've found is suitable.
Lot's of side ventilation, not much on top to keep in the humidity. The hygrowotsit says 85% (i realise they aren't that accurate) and my stick on fish tank gauge says 25c right now which should be good.

He has a plant pot with the back cut out so he can burrow deeper, 9" of substrate under the back of said plant pot, lots of fake plants and a forest moss covering.
I wasn't able to get a shot of him as he zipped into the hole as soon as I put him in there (he's already started digging if you see the small dirt pile in front of the pot.

One thing that surprised me was his strength, I've had both an adult cancerides and OBT pull on my tickler (paintbrush) before, but this guy has some serious power even for a small T (I think hes just a tad over 3") really felt him pulling on it (normally a touch of the sub behind a T's legs encourages them to move, this guy just turned and attacked the paintbrush thinking it was one of those small children in the garden centre maybe :p)

You can just make out his bald butt.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Fair play. You've more than likely saved his (definitely male or a guess?) life. Hopefully the Garden Centre in question doesn't get anymore in.

Set up looks fantastic to me.

Bread

Arachnopeon
To be honest hes probably 4". Ive been trying to get a pic but he teleports into his plantpot when i touch the lid.