Got some new T's!

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Well, this weekend I got some new T's! Repticon was in my area, so I figured why not. First day I just looked around, didnt get anything, and the second day, today, I got 3 T's at awesome prices. I got 2x P. Rufilata and 1x A. Seemani (Wild caught) all for 50 dollars! It was a really great show, even though it was mostly reptiles, a few dealers had decent selections of tarantulas. Here are the pics of the T's:

Sorry for the crickets, I just fed them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A. seemanni is one of my favorite species, good haul. Just be careful of those pokies, they can be a handful.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Also guys, is it normal for my slings' abdomens to be huge in proportion to their carapace? I have been feeding them a cut up mealworm just about every day.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Also guys, is it normal for my slings' abdomens to be huge in proportion to their carapace? I have been feeding them a guc up mealworm just about every day.
Yep. A sling's abdomen can be 3-4x the size of their carapace. That will even out as they age.

Keep feeding that way. It's their job to decide when they've had enough, not yours. When they hit the juvie stage, then slow down the feeding and aim for the abdomen to be the same size as the carapace.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I couldnt decide where to put it, so I put it here. Thanks for the info though.
There's very little for one to decide generally. Why was it so hard to figure out? Such information would help the forum be better in the future.

This forum states exactly what it's for right below its name. There is no science in your post.

"This forum is for scientific questions and discussions pertaining to Tarantulas and discussing items with widespread repercussions to the hobby."

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When will they hit juvenile stage?
Juve is a subject term with no real scientific definition. The better question to ask is, "When will it be size X" To which one answers "depends on the species, gender, how often you feed it, WHAT you feed it, and the temps you keep it at"

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
From an Avicularia sp to Poecilotheria in under a month...:bored: even after a very looooong thread about basic care you didn't do, and people specifically warned you about the 'ornamental'.
Fine. Suit it yourself. :wall:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
@cooperevans001 were you at the ATL show? Nice haul dude, but really be careful with those pokies.. I'm not saying the jump can't be done as quickly as you did, but the fact that you're still asking these "noob" questions does worry.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So, @cooperevans001, here's some things to think about. This isn't me getting down on you, it's just a warning for what you're in for.

Those P. rufilata's are what we keep referring to - pokies. They are an advanced spider, there is no debating that. Their venom sends grown men to the hospital, and they are faster than any human can react. They are not to be taken lightly even as small juveniles. There are certainly more defensive OW tarantulas out there, but don't ever get complacent. I suggest that you read bite reports to get an idea of what you're dealing with.

Don't ever hesitate to ask questions.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Hey, what would you guys reccomend for thr feeding on my P. Rufilata's? They are about 1" right now. They can eat large crickets, but a medium cricket would be better. One of them seemed to like a large mealworm.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
And thanks for all the info EulersK. I knew what I was getting into. There werent a whole lot more interesting NW T's at the show that I could afford, so I got these. I got sich a good deal though. I think they will be good T's.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
And hey, at least they aren't OBTs... But if you want to see a fast spider, look at H. Carolinensis, and D. Tenebrosus... those things are FAST.