Got some new T's!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Manufacturers aren't thinking that you're putting a tiny spider in such a huge enclosure.
Ah ah, always funny... the best are those plastic enclosures supposed to "house" dress, shoes and such so loved by the in "full organizing mode" Ladies. Mines there's a centipede inside :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Would,any of you happen to know how to treat wood and that stuff for use in my terrariums?
I tell you... I have a rule: the "less" in the enclosure, the better (better for maintenance etc). I put only fake plastic leaves (Exo Terra, btw here in Italy quite cheap) for web-loving T's and, no matter, in every enclosure, a piece of cork bark (cheap as well and of good quality :angelic:).

Now the cork bark I buy is already "fine", ready to use. I don't have to "sterylize" that, nothing. So I have no clue :)

@cold blood knows better :-s

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
So what T's are teccomended to help me better my care of the Pokies? And any other tips for the pokies thst you guys have?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So what T's are teccomended to help me better my care of the Pokies? And any other tips for the pokies thst you guys have?
My man, you already bought the 'Pokies' you wanted... no reason, ah ah. I mean, I can mention which T's would had been better as a "ladder" "step by step" for work the way up to 'Pokies', sure. But I prefer to offer you advices, if needed, for the ones you have.

Buying a P.cambridgei, IMO the best serious arboreal for "start", for instance (for such reasons, I mean) would be useless, since you already have those :)

I never, never had a 'Pokie' lol, you know why? Because I worked (rehouses etc) too much with others (friends) 'Pokies' in the past and no way, I don't like them too much u_u

They aren't hard at all to care, trust me. They can be, on the other hand, not so easy to "handle" (meaning "deal with", not literally handling, lol) yeah... the bite is brutal, but mostly they love "hide & watch" rather than "stand & fight" like a huge 0.1 P.muticus scavenged from the burrow :-s

Trenor gave you the best advice, here. Always an eye about where the T's are, for that those are lightning fast.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As far as the set up, the classic arboreal one is perfect for juve/adults... with slings, as a rule, I work always in "little". I don't like, not even a bit, the sight of micro 1 cm first instar Theraphosidae (example) housed in enclosures that, in proportion, are like Moscow Red Square :)

As EulersK said, the Theraphosidae could have issues finding food. You could have issues offering the right humidity etc

Arboreal slings can choose to burrow, no matter if they aren't terrestrials or obligate "pet holes" burrowers. That's one of their ways to survive, basically.

Offer always preys related to their size (btw I've never offered a dead prey, I'm perfectly fine with micro pinheads when it comes to micro sling even if, Christ! they are a pain to catch -- a thing I hate lol).

Keep the substrate moist, not wet. Pay attention and nothing bad will happen.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
And any other tips for the pokies thst you guys have?
First, give it a good hide, a place it can retreat to when you need to work. There is no need to open the container unless you are feeding, watering, or cleaning. Respect it's desire to be left alone.
Second, find it before you open the container, no surprises, then tap the glass (side) or move the container slightly. If it hasn't retreated to it's hide, it should "duck down". Theory is that it's hiding from you, at least it thinks it is. Keep your hands or tongs away from it. Do what you need to do quickly and get out. Never take your eye off it or where it's hiding. If you get distracted, close the container, figure out what you need to do and start over.
That's how I deal with my P regalis, every time. I bought her as an adult because she was lightning fast, her bite scared me a liittle, and she could go straight to her forever home so I would never have to transfer her. She's taught me a lot along the way. I have a ton of respect for her, but she's very easy to deal with. I had to remove her from her tank once. She hides in her cork tube (all the time). It was a big wad of paper towel on the top, then the bottom. I took the tube out, secured it, and did what I needed to do. When I was done, I put the tube back and used tongs to pull the paper towel. Easy peasy. Good luck and stay within yourself.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
I alresdy have 2 P. Cambredgies, which are starting to make nice little burrows. I am going to wait a while before getting any other pokies, and OWs. I want some P. Irmana slings. Is there anything else I could do to ladder step to more pokies and OWs? Thanks for all the advice, and none of it is going to go to waste.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So what are we up to at this point? 2 P. cams, 2 P. rufilatas, 1 A. avic, 1 A. seemanni... anything else? Like @Chris LXXIX said, there's not much of a point in the ladder system at this point. Those pokies will grow much quicker than anything we would suggest you get to train you for pokies. The bullet has been bit, focus on learning about what you have already.

It's not a race to fill your house with spiders. Try to refine your skills on the spiders you have before taking on too many more. Even with my collection, I don't like to take on multiple species that are new to me. It takes awhile to accommodate each individual species. Sure, some are similar, but few tarantulas are kept identically.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I'd figure I should throw in my 02. cents.

So like you, I jumped into owning Poecilotheria very quickly. I started keeping tarantulas just a year ago, bought an avic from the petstore. In December of 2015, I purchased 2 P. regalis juveniles (2.5'', very large for a newb) and I've done perfectly fine. Only had 1 escape and that was a botched rehouse, only had 1 death and it was a sudden P. miranda (literally ate the day before and dropped dead after) and now I picked up a 2.5'' - 3'' S. calceatum female. I'm an advocate for the ladder system, despite not necessarily using it, but I advocate it because I've seen what happens when people who didn't have a firm grasp jump in. You are one of those people. You're asking questions you should be asking with your first tarantula ever, not your first advanced, fast, and venomous tarantula. You made an un-wise choice, and I'm hoping you don't mess this up badly.

Onto care.
I have almost ever species of Poecilotheria except for subfusca, rajaei, ornata, and fasciata. I keep them all about the same. 1 - 2 inches of coco fiber for both burrowing as slings and for building web curtains (a favorite among my males.) and give them a cork slab to with and build as their home. I don't like cork rounds or things I can't move, the slabs are perfect because they let me immediately spot where the spider is, and move the slab if I have to without disturbing my spider much. I keep my pokies fairly dry, but I live in a more humid climate. Regardless, I spray just above the slab ever 1 - 2 days just to ensure they get water, and still have a waterdish for all my spiders. I use a pipette to moisten the substrate.
Give lots of anchor points for webbing, and try to make the enclosure easy for you to work with, but allow the spider to feel secure. @Trenor and @Abyss have some pretty good pictures of their enclosures.
Provide good ventilation too.
Ignore caresheets, and try to research animals more before you get them.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
i recognize the fever of getting more and more T's, but you know what gives me the most satisfaction? Seeing the slings and juvies i got growing up. Or saving up money to get an adult i wanted very much. Increasing my knowledge and getting the care right and seeing that by me doing so, my spiders are thriving.

By P.irmana, i think you mean P.irminia. At this point, i wouldn't get more slings. Let your babies settle down first. You could however buy a juvi, if you want to care for bigger spiders. Save up some money, and get a juvi GBB, if remember you were interested in this species.
Put some effort in providing the care needed by the T's you already have, even though they're small. Some of the species you have grow fast, look around for what will be the next step on enclosures and deco. Get to know the T’s you already have, before getting more and more on just basic care. Keeping your Avic alive for a month does not mean you got the care down.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like Avics too, but I hear that they are very fragile, and hard to raise from a sling. I am thinking of getting some GBBs, and maybe a Versicolor, but I will have to do my research.
Your best bet would be a 2" Avic to start. They are less forgiving of husbandry errors. People kill them all the time, mostly due to humidity and low air exchange. Moist stagnant air kills Avics of all sizes.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I completely agree with what you said, unless for 'overrated'. IMO, for the reasons that you stated (and btw of course you're right) P.murinus is underrated. 90% buy those just due to a perfect mix of: price, the fact that they are always available, and the "coolio" part of owning those.
This leads to a "lack" of respect for a Theraphosidae that IMO is amazing & beauty, even in such semplicity.

It's beyond me the fact that H.pulchripes is so praised (and priced) when P.murinus colors are not second, if compared :-s
P. murinus has always been and will always be my favourite T. It amuses me when other baboons become hot stuff, while OBTs always seem to just be an accepted staple in the hobby.

I have done some research, but I just wanted to ask to make sure it matched up. I was very ill-informed in the beginning, as I am sure most, if not all of you were. I rehoused my Avic in the right home, and have the care for her down. I have also aquired a few slings, and care for them is going very well. I am sure some of you have made plenty of mistakes in your keeping endeavors, and like I have said, I am going, to the best of my abilities, raise and care for these pokies. And, like I said, I value respect for the T over anything.
Read. Everything. On. This. Forum.

Browse all the categories and read all the topics. Do a search for the different species you own and read every thread that mentions them. That is the research you should have done first, but you have hears that already. Your job right now is to LEARN about these animals and perfect their care. There is pleeeenty of time to accumulate more Ts in the future.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P. murinus has always been and will always be my favourite T. It amuses me when other baboons become hot stuff, while OBTs always seem to just be an accepted staple in the hobby.
Indeed, indeed :pompous:

but please don't forget the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus

- P.murinus is Her Prophet u_u

Estein

Arachnoknight
Read. Everything. On. This. Forum.

Browse all the categories and read all the topics. Do a search for the different species you own and read every thread that mentions them. That is the research you should have done first, but you have hears that already. Your job right now is to LEARN about these animals and perfect their care. There is pleeeenty of time to accumulate more Ts in the future.
YES. Read even the threads that don't seem to apply to you. I find that they are full of great little info nuggets that I wouldn't have thought to search for or ask about.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The Rebel, Orb 0.1 Pterinochilus murinus is arranging a mutiny against the Goddess as we speak!
Ah ah, impossible :pompous:

There is no God but the Goddess (0.1 Pelinobius muticus) and Pterinochilus murinus is Her prophet :angelic:

" OH-BITES-ALLAAARGH! " :bookworm: