Got some new T's!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There arent many tarantulas that are as vibrant as the Pokies, with the availability of them. They are jyst simply beautiful tarantulas.
And see, this is the worst argument for pokies, yet it's the one that gets brought up the most. It's simply untrue that there aren't many that are as vibrant as pokies. In fact, I'd argue that pokies are boring given that they all look exactly the same with a different color pallet. Look at these. All NW, all easy to care for, all gorgeous, and all very accessible.

IMG_0306.JPG 20141115_164252.jpg IMG_0496.JPG IMG_1021.JPG IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1090.JPG

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
P rufilata are much worse than OBT, they get bigger and are arboreal. that means teleportation up your arm. they grow extremely fast. my female rufilata i got at 1/2" back in Feb. is 5" now, lightening fast with a bad attitude. having slings of species does not equal a adult tarantula. slings have maybe a 50th of the attitude a adult spider will have. we meant raise the slings to adulthood to prepare for Poecilotheria, not buy them and then buy Pokies 4 days later. thats not gaining experience.

not trying to insult you, but the fact you have to ask some of these basic questions really shows youre not prepared for a pokie.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nah, man. Just be careful, keep an eye about the "humidity" part, especially with slings (slings are more delicate than juve/adults) so the substrate needs to be moist (moist, not a swamp, uh). Use always your "head" and nothing bad will happens even if you, granted, jumped into those a bit quickly :-s
I agree, I got my first pokies pretty early as well. Yes, they can be quick and from bite reports they have strong venom. However, if you pay attention when working with them you should be fine. I always make sure I know where the poke is before opening the enclosure. Giving half a chance, they will retreat into a spot to hide. Once they have, I've easily changed their water dishes and preformed clean up with no issues. I keep alert for their movements and always work with the long tongs and a catch cup handy.

I rarely interact directly with them unless I am rehousing. I don't nudge them with anything to try to 'move' them to other parts of the enclosure. If they are where I need to work I leave it and come back a bit later and usually they have moved. I don't place tongs near them. I let them hide and do the work I need to. Then I close the enclosure and let them relax.

When rehousing, I do it like a lot of other T rehousing. I make sure the new enclosure is setup right (with water) and all it needs is a T. Then I remove everything I safely can from the enclosure except for the T. Give yourself room to work (some like bathtubs). I use a nice open space in the TV room. Using long tongs with a straw attached to the end I work the T out of the enclosure into the catch cup. Then work it out of the cup into the new enclosure. When it has settled, I close the enclosure up.

They are quick and have strong venom. They are not hard to keep. You just have to be aware of what is going on. Take your time when working with them and understand these are not an open the lid and mess with then anytime you take the notion kind of Ts.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I always make sure I know where the poke is before opening the enclosure.
This is the best advice given so far in my opinion. Not just for pokies, but for all tarantulas. Be smarter than the tarantula.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Looking at the endless threads of mentions of "you aren't ready for that" and "what is this guy thinking?", when is someone ever ready? You could have 20 years of experience and lack common sense, you won't be ready and will likely get bit. You could have 3 months of experience, have a good awareness and judgement, you might never have a problem. Sometimes if you have common sense, there is nothing better than good 'ole experience.
I'm nervous every time I transfer something fast and/or could cause me immense pain. I should be. Complacency will cause problems, period, in new hobbyist or an old pro.
That all being said, some OW's are the hardiest and easiest to care for. Give them their space and respect and they'll leave you alone. Absolutely be ready for the worst case scenario every time you open that door or lid and the likelihood of a problem is minimized. I'm a big fan of enough space and good hides in my OW's. A little tap on the glass or movement of the enclosure and Burrowers slip into their den. The pokies, if in the open, tend to freeze if they aren't near their hide. If they want to "fight", there will another time when they don't and my task can be accomplished then. Nothing has to be done "now". Transfers are the toughest things for me, but they are done in the bathroom, the smallest room that is easiest to contain an escapee.
While I respect the knowledge in here, everybody is different, all noobs aren't kids or total idiots.
And yes, there are still species I won't own, because I know I am not ready.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Looking at the endless threads of mentions of "you aren't ready for that" and "what is this guy thinking?", when is someone ever ready? You could have 20 years of experience and lack common sense, you won't be ready and will likely get bit. You could have 3 months of experience, have a good awareness and judgement, you might never have a problem. Sometimes if you have common sense, there is nothing better than good 'ole experience.
I'm nervous every time I transfer something fast and/or could cause me immense pain. I should be. Complacency will cause problems, period, in new hobbyist or an old pro.
That all being said, some OW's are the hardiest and easiest to care for. Give them their space and respect and they'll leave you alone. Absolutely be ready for the worst case scenario every time you open that door or lid and the likelihood of a problem is minimized. I'm a big fan of enough space and good hides in my OW's. A little tap on the glass or movement of the enclosureure and Burrowers slip into their den. The pokies, if in the open, tend to freeze if they aren't near their hide. If they want to "fight", there will another time when they don't and my task can be accomplished then. Nothing has to be done "now". Transfers are the toughest things for me, but they are done in the bathroom, the smallest room that is easiest to contain an escapee.
While I respect the knowledge in here, everybody is different, all noobs aren't kids or total idiots.
And yes, there are still species I won't own, because I know I am not ready.
( I agree with you)

And this is why I hate when ppl tell others to wait months and months and months before getting the T they want.

"Get these ones before getting these ones" even buying certain Ts before other ones doesn't mean you won't get a bite from the "harder" Ts after getting the "easier" Ts no matter how long you had the easier Ts.

If someone new says they want an OBT/ or an H Mac all we can do is give them the proper research tools and info on said species and let them take it from there.

Regardless of what we say people are going to buy whatever T they want at the end of the day.

So people on here really should stop being rude and talking down just because people choose not not to take their advice 100%.... The best way to learn anything will always be through experience.

There's people who have been in the exotic animal hobby for tons of years and still get bit by animals bigger than these that deliver worse bites.... No one will ever be perfect in this entire hobby

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
( I agree with you)

And this is why I hate when ppl tell others to wait months and months and months before getting the T they want.

"Get these ones before getting these ones" even buying certain Ts before other ones doesn't mean you won't get a bite from the "harder" Ts after getting the "easier" Ts no matter how long you had the easier Ts.

If someone new says they want an OBT/ or an H Mac all we can do is give them the proper research tools and info on said species and let them take it from there.

Regardless of what we say people are going to buy whatever T they want at the end of the day.

So people on here really should stop being rude and talking down just because people choose not not to take their advice 100%.... The best way to learn anything will always be through experience.

There's people who have been in the exotic animal hobby for tons of years and still get bit by animals bigger than these that deliver worse bites.... No one will ever be perfect in this entire hobby
I agree with you. I feel that most level headed people, with in depth research and preparation, can take on 90% of all T's in the hobby. However, when someone says "Hey, you should wait a while before getting a pokie. They can be fast and very defensive" they usually give recommendations for calmer and arguably as beautiful T's. An example is A. versicolor. I am just learning this myself, and I hope the OP does well with the T's he got. They are all beautiful :D Just as something to say, most people mean nothing by it. When a death from an exotic species is all it takes to get them banned everywhere, people prefer others to take it safe ;) Sorry, a little off topic...

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
I think respect for the spider is key. I have to understand that they are fast, and venemous creatures, and take that into account in everything that I do with them. I admit, I might have gone into these a bit too fast, but with the right respect, I hope to raise them well.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Any other reccomendations for the care on the pokies? I have their tanks humid, and they seem pretty warm, but I need to get some cork bark. Had one run up onto my arm, but luckily it was nice and let me wrangle it. I got their enclosures set up, and it should be good for them until they reach 5". Again, thanks for all the help, and I really love the hobby.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I got their enclosures set up, and it should be good for them until they reach 5".
Whoa, you have a sling in an enclosure that will fit a 5" spider? That's way beyond too big. Beyond the risk of your sling not being able to find food or water, there's a big chance that it will find a crack to squeeze through. Manufacturers aren't thinking that you're putting a tiny spider in such a huge enclosure.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Well, its not too big. A 1 gallon jar. And the slings are 2" now. The jar is solid other than the lid, which is screw-off.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that are as vibrant as the Pokies
It depends on one's idea of vibrant. I never felt my P. rufi's were vibrant relative to other Ts. My A. versicolor were far more vibrant =)

I hope you don't have another Poki escape when they are significantly larger in the near future. Good luck!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
( I agree with you)

It wasn't the fact the OP wanted OW alone which caused me to react the way I did. It was the fact that OP started out a month ago, and still doesn't seem to have a clue on basic care. If you have to ask what pokies eat, and in what enclosure they should be raised in, you shouldn't have pokies. There is tons of info on here, but by asking most basic qyestions, he doesn't seem to be willing to research much himself.
His first thead was full of misconceptions about T care. And that was an Avic. Now apply that lack of knowledge to owning pokies. Not very reassuring.
If one does their research, ask questions, go visit someone with the OW they want, use this forum as an information source, and shows they got the basics right, then I wouldn't have posted what I did. But in this case I felt I was justified in posting what I did, and I still do, seeing as OP managed to not even get the basic housing right.

I am talking from experience with jumping into a species which was too advanced for me. I got two P.irminia slings, of which one escaped (and found), and I got scared of because I couldn't keep up with how defensive and fast they were becoming. I rehomed them, and almost quit the hobby entirely because of that scare and fear.
From me, it has NOTHING to do with being rude or talking down. It has EVERYTHING to do with that I want OP enjoying the hobby, and stays safe, and keeps his T's in a safe way, and can look after them properly.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
and still doesn't seem to have a clue on basic care. If you have to ask what pokies eat, and in what enclosure they should be raised in, you shouldn't have pokies.
I couldn't agree more.

It has EVERYTHING to do with that I want OP enjoying the hobby, and stays safe, and keeps his T's in a safe way, and can look after them properly.
I couldn't agree more. We see too many people get in over their head. I don't need an anti-tarantula law like the Lacey Act being passed because someone couldn't control their impulsive purchase power, bought a Pokie, was sent to the hospital and the news covered it.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
I like Avics too, but I hear that they are very fragile, and hard to raise from a sling. I am thinking of getting some GBBs, and maybe a Versicolor, but I will have to do my research.

Last edited:

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
I have done some research, but I just wanted to ask to make sure it matched up. I was very ill-informed in the beginning, as I am sure most, if not all of you were. I rehoused my Avic in the right home, and have the care for her down. I have also aquired a few slings, and care for them is going very well. I am sure some of you have made plenty of mistakes in your keeping endeavors, and like I have said, I am going, to the best of my abilities, raise and care for these pokies. And, like I said, I value respect for the T over anything.