Got some new T's!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
OBT's are overrated. They're nasty, but I could name nastier. They're just extremely accessible because of their dirt cheap price, so they're more infamous.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
And Andrea, I know that you guys warned me alot about these T's, and I have taken that into consideration. I did do all the things you guys said in terms of care, and my Avic seems very happy in her new enclosure. I feel that I have gotten better in the hobby also. I might be wrong, but just saying.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And Andrea, I know thst you guys warned me alot about these T's, and I have taken that into consideration. I did do all the things you guys said in terms of care, and my Avic seems very happy in het new enclosure. I feel that I have gotten better in the hobby also. I might be wrong, but just saying.
Look, I'm not trying to start a fight here, but your story is far from unique. A new hobbyist gets their first tarantula, it doesn't die, and suddenly they're ready to take on advanced species. We've seen this a million times. We've also seen a million "Help me find my escaped tarantula" threads before from people who weren't ready for this husbandry. We can't tell you what to get or how to progress, but the vast majority of people will agree that you jumped head first into something that you're not prepared for. Which is why you've got several people on this thread giving advice. I'm sorry, but a keeper that is ready for an OW arboreal shouldn't still be asking if mealworms are alright to feed slings. You're still trying to get a grasp on Tarantula 101, and now you've got two advanced spiders in your care. This hobby has a lot to take in. Trust me, I know. There's simply no way that you could have gone from green as grass to advanced keeper in a handful of weeks.

Again, we're all here to help with any questions you've got. But please don't demean the efforts we've put into this hobby by claiming that you're ready for advanced spiders after a month. Many of us treat this like a part time job, we're not just blowing hot air. I've been keeping for just under three years, and I still get sweaty palms when rehousing some of the faster, hotter tarantulas. Which is why I continue to implore you to ask questions as they come up. Listen to the advice and learn from it.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
I know that I am not 100% ready. And I am very glad of the efforts you guys put it. I know that I have a way to go. And I knew that mealworms are good to feed, I just needed advice as to how much feeding should be done. Dont want to feed a T to death. Again, thanks for all the help guys. I really dont want to seem like an ungrateful prick, and all the help has gotten me a long way from where I was. I dont want seem like I wanted to go from entry level to advanced. That is why I got the A. Genics, LPs, and P. Cambredgies like everyone reccomended. I just happened by these T's, and the guy gave me an awesome price. I was fully aware of the what I was getting into, and plan to care for these T's to the best of my abilities. I really enjoy the hobby and the community, and don't want to become ridiculed for rushing into advanced tarantulas.

Last edited:

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
What enclosure would you guys recommend for a full-grown P. Rufilata? The jar I have it in looks good for now, but I know Pokies can get pretty big.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What enclosure would you guys recommend for a full-grown P. Rufilata? The jar I have it in looks good for now, but I know Pokies can get pretty big.
Invest in one of those good acrylic enclosures, quite a few places sell them. Expect around $70-$100. There are other much cheaper options, but A) You probably want to actually see your spider, and B) Much less chance of an escape versus DIY solutions.

Personally, I use upturned aquariums with hinged acrylic on the front.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
I was thinking of using the same type of tank I keep my Avic in, which is an upturned tank. I dont know if it is 10 or 15 gallon.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Yeah sorry. It is a Zilla Critter Cage or somrthing like that. I will kerp one Rufilata (the female, if there is one) and sell the second one.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah sorry. It is a Zilla Critter Cage or somrthing like that. I will kerp one Rufilata (the female, if there is one) and sell the second one.
If that's what I think it is, you'll need to modify it before you permanently house any spider in it. Tarantulas can chew through screen. It's a simple fix - cut out the screen and replace it with drilled acrylic.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
So why is it that OW T's are harder ti care for? Is it just that they are faster and more aggressive? I just really like the Pokies, and would some day like to collect all of them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So why is it that OW T's are harder ti care for? Is it just that they are faster and more aggressive? I just really like the Pokies, and would some day like to collect all of them.
They're faster, more unpredictable, have much higher venom potency, and often require special husbandry to simply keep alive. "Aggressive" does not describe a tarantula - they are defensive. They are defending the little patch of dirt that you gave them, nothing more.

Okay, and this is a serious question here... why do you like pokies? Their colors?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
As to OW speed, maybe you can manage that, since you have some experience with true spiders. I really hope you can. What people meant by getting a P.cambridgei and A.geniculata was to gain experience in caring for faster more defensive tarantula.
You went and got SLINGS of those species. That is not how you gain experience. Slings are easy. They can be quick and defensive, but not in the same way a juvi or adult is.

You're not skipping steps, you're skipping leaps. Read as much as you can on basic care, housing, behaviour and anatomy. While it is okay to ask questions, most basics have already been covered a hundred times before, so pilfer this site.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The fact you are asking this demonstrates to some on the forum that you aren't ready to own a Poki. If you aren't aware of a Poki's venom strength, you should google a bit and you'll find a few clinical papers where grown men were sent to the hospital for severe muscle cramps to heart problems if I recall correctly. If you weren't aware, then why did you buy them...............

OBTs are far easier to take care of than any Poki. I've owned both OBT and P. rufilata. P. rufilata is the largest of the Poki, along with 1 other Poki, so have fun w/that. They are a fast growing species, and this T will almost undoubtedly outpace your experience level.

I've read all the posts in this thread and I'm shocked to see some of the questions you have asked about feeding a few above this post. I would think a person with a few Ts should know that information. You didn't, which leads me to think you haven't done enough research, OR you don't have enough experience. The former is a problem, the latter only comes with time (so does the former too), and is only a problem for most owners when they get Ts beyond their capabilities. Time will tell in your case.

It's easy to buy a sling and think it's easy to take care. Any one without any knowledge can transfer ANY sling by using a bag. It's not easy to do the same when they are about 5"+ and you are doing husbandry. If you end up with a 8-9" female, have fun transferring her.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
There arent many tarantulas that are as vibrant as the Pokies, with the availability of them. They are jyst simply beautiful tarantulas.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Do the pokies have aby special care requirements? I know they should be kept humid, and in a tall enclosure, but is there anything else?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
OBT's are overrated. They're nasty, but I could name nastier. They're just extremely accessible because of their dirt cheap price, so they're more infamous.
I completely agree with what you said, unless for 'overrated'. IMO, for the reasons that you stated (and btw of course you're right) P.murinus is underrated. 90% buy those just due to a perfect mix of: price, the fact that they are always available, and the "coolio" part of owning those.
This leads to a "lack" of respect for a Theraphosidae that IMO is amazing & beauty, even in such semplicity.

It's beyond me the fact that H.pulchripes is so praised (and priced) when P.murinus colors are not second, if compared :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Do the pokies have aby special care requirements? I know they should be kept humid, and in a tall enclosure, but is there anything else?
Nah, man. Just be careful, keep an eye about the "humidity" part, especially with slings (slings are more delicate than juve/adults) so the substrate needs to be moist (moist, not a swamp, uh). Use always your "head" and nothing bad will happens even if you, granted, jumped into those a bit quickly :-s