Got my new pedes today...gigantea, subspinipes and one sp

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
DAMN, you lucky B*****D :D

They truly look awesome, specially that Vietnamese giant,...
Could you tell me how did you get them, from who you've orderded them from, how much time it takes, how did you pay him, enz... just send me a PM ;)

CONGRATS!!!!=D=D=D=D

greetz

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank's! They are amazing! The vietnamese giant is really fat and nice!

I've sent you a PM.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
They truly look awesome, specially that Vietnamese giant
, let me correct that, now i've taken a closer look at your picts, that Gigantea looks extremly AWESOME, very nice colors

i've read it ;)

greetz

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
where did the Gigantea supplier get this guy ? Awesome pede....I want one too !

Thanks,

Bob (1/2 Sweedish !)

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey aftershock, we meet again =D

Bob: They are captive bred, I asked the supplier about it here's what he replied:

"S. g. is easily to breed in a 120x50 cm glasstank under rainforest conditions, you can keep 3 specimens in such a tank."

Sounds interesting may be worth a try....

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by El Johano
Hey aftershock, we meet again =D

Bob: They are captive bred, I asked the supplier about it here's what he replied:

"S. g. is easily to breed in a 120x50 cm glasstank under rainforest conditions, you can keep 3 specimens in such a tank."

Sounds interesting may be worth a try....
Well, I don't want to call your supplier a liar, but let's just say I'm not 100% buying this. AFAIK, captive breeding of centipedes in general has proven to be very challegining and is a rare occurance. I hope I'm wrong and that breeding S. gigantea turns out to be easy, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Also, all the specimens appear to be adults or at least larger immatures. If I took the time to raise those pedes to those sizes, I probably wouldn't sell them at all, but if I did, I'd charge a HELL of alot of money for them!

I'm thinking the supplier told you what he thought you wanted to hear, I've seen it happen often enough in this country. Also, he probably didn't want to admit to selling WC animals from a closed country (Peru), as he would be admitting to smuggling. Hmmm...I guess that does sound like I'm calling him a liar, but I admit there's always the possibility that I'm wrong, and that they really are captive bred.

Wade

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I was just going to chime is as well, Wade.... first of all there's no way that three adult pedes would cohabit peacefully in a 20gal tank (sounds about the size he's describing). Second, I guarantee you we would have heard about S.g. plings a LONG time before now... that would be huge! As it is, I have never heard of anyone purchasing a CB gigantea pling anywhere in the hobby online in the last year.

I really don't buy it either.... either that, or he's calling Hatians or Tanzanian Yellowlegs gigantea.... either way, I think you should take pretty much everything he tells you from this point on with a grain of salt. ;)

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, as far as the breeding goes, that's just what he told me.

BUT he is selling S. gigantea in three different sizes, including 5 cm "plings".
I have never heard of wild caught "plings". Sure he may just have been lucky getting hold of some wild caught gravid females....

But he is a reputable dealer and a don't think he lied about that:)

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just to clarify things, it is a German dealer, not American.

And a 120*50 cm tank is about 240 liter depending on height, don't know how much those gallons are but 20 seems to little:?

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just a quick word i went to the bts show a few weeks back and they had there some c/b s.gigantea babies they where 5 for £20 then they had adults aswell the adults that i brought said they where c/b 2yr olds s.gigantea from venezuela but for the price i paid for them i dont think that they where c/b a mate of mine brought some babies if i can i will try to gat some photos of them to see what you lot think about them

fatbloke

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, i just want to say that german dealers are very reliable (off course not every single one of them, but,...) and as far as i know the dealer he got it from is a cirtified biologist (did i spell that right?) what i know there have been some german dealers who have succes breeding Peruvian giants, if the parents of those were legally imported in germany is another question;)

that sory about that tank i put a big question mark behind, are giganteas know to cohabitat??????

greetz

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Question? Why does it seem that S. gigantae is showing up a lot in Europe (mostly it seems from German dealers) for (what I would call) not a whole lot of money, yet you don't hear of hardly any in the US?...and when you do see them they're horribly expensive? What are the Europeans doing that we're not here in the US? C'mon US pede people....let's starting spitting out some more S gigantae's. I mean hell......there's not an ocean between here and South America....why aren't these pedes showing up at US reptile and/or invert. shows?
:? :? :? :? :? :?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
To AGGRO

I think you must remember that Europe isn't that big then US, duh:D , therefore there aren't so many people here who share the same intrest in arachnids, that's why when there is someone in whole europe by example who has a P.subfusca, everybody who's into T. knows who that person is. Its the same with Scolopendra g. ,there are in whole europe i gues about 5 dealers who are saying that they have Giganteas, many insectdealers and petshopsowners from Europe go to German fairs to buy their arachnids from those Germandealers. What i'm trying to say is that it's a small family here in Europe and news spreads around very fast, by example the Gigantea "aftershock" has bought looks almost the same and is of identical age as the Gigantea i've posted a couple of weeks ago, and looks also the same as a gigantea that i've seen in the petshop in my town, what a coincedence=D i know right now that those are from the same parents and are indeed captive bred Peruvian Giants :cool:

You can say that Germany is the centerpoint of all scolopendra activity in Europe :)
So i guess that's impossible that you can't find any reptile or arachnidfair in the whole US were their aren't any gigantea's

hopefully you get an idea of what i'm trying to say here, it's not so easy to explain in Englisch for me :8o

I was wondering how many Europeans are into Scolopendras on this board?maybe i make it a new topic :}

succes in your search for giganteas in US

greetz