Got my new millipedes!

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Awesome, how is it?
Mine is sitting on a truck somewhere. Hoping it makes it here soon.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet. That's been a really helpful book for me. A lot of specifics on the species I keep.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like Cavedweller said, it has a lot of specific information for the species we can get. I am glad I bought it. I need the info to get babies!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! He's my favorite <3 I love him so much. I really really really want more D. macracanthus, but no one's selling em in the US. So sad.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I hate when that happens, other countries sell them, but not the US:/
What's the care requirements for these guys? Do they reproduce quickly?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I envy the Euro collectors sooo much. D. macracanthus seems pretty hardy, but they take a looong time to reach adulthood (4-5 years). A few other users on the board have male/female groups, but none of them have gotten plings yet as far as I know.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't think I should resurrect an older thread from when I got these guys, so I'll just drop this here.

Finally got some quasi-decent photos of the pet holes. This is a baby Acladocrius sp "Philippine Giant Blue", either female or too young to have gonopods (can someone confirm what stage they get those at?). She's about 1.75 inches and her colors a bit lighter than the bad phone photo suggests. This is the first time I've handled her and she was very curious and not timid at all, I was surprised.

I'm super impatient to see their final colors (gonna have to wait a few years for that), but these guys are pretty cute anyway (even with boring colors).

I'm really interested in the markings on her butt, a paler stripe and then darker on the very end. I wonder why these guys have those. I'll try to get better photos when I can borrow mom's camera this weekend.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Wow, she's pretty cool. How do you know if it's a 'she'? And how big do they grow up to be?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys!

The blues are like 4-6 inches at adulthood, might get a little bigger than that (sooo impatient to see them as adults)

Millipedes are real easy to sex http://exotic.bg/images/caresheet-images/Archispirostreptus_gigas_sexing_en.jpg Males have missing legs on the 7th segment (the legs become gonopods instead). In most species the male is smaller/thinner than the female. There are also species-specific ways to tell. In many species, the male's 7th segment is larger than the others (evident in this image http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Nature/Millipedes/AmericanMillipede.jpg ) In the giant redleg millipede (Epibolus pulchripes) the glossy and the female is matte http://www.pest2000.it/Foto/FFZ/Epibolus_pulchripes01.jpg