Got my new millipedes!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My shipment from Bugsincyberspace came yesterday and everyone is comfortably settled in. I got two sexed pairs of Chicobolus spinigerus and a male Dendrostreptus macracanthus.

I've got a 18 x 18 x 18 tank for these guys, but I had issues when trying to buy the plants and substrate. I just placed an order at Josh's Frogs for the stuff, but in the meantime they're in a lavishly decorated plastic tub full of leaves and cork.

Here's one of the female Florida ivories (I call her Fatty):

And my handsome pinkleg (my friend named him Nizzle Pizzle):

He's been alternating between chilling under a piece of cork for a few hours at a time and crawling around energetically (for a millipede, anyway), ESPECIALLY on the underside of the mesh lid. I assume this is normal for an active, arboreal species? I get the feeling he wants more things to climb on, but all I can do is wait until my gear arrives so I can set up his big boy tank.

I absolutely adore D. macracanthus, and I really hope I can get some more (especially females), but they seem to be hard to get. I'd really love to breed them and help spread the species throughout the hobby. These guys are adorable and such fun to watch.

I haven't kept millipedes since I was a kid, and I'm a bit nervous, so if anyone has advice I'd be more than happy to hear it.

moghue

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice millipedes. I got 3 AGB's for Christmas. The only reason I got 3 from the wife is they were very cheap. I'm hoping they do breed as I am supposed to have 1 m and 2 f. Good luck on your breeding them. The pink leg is pretty awesome I might have to try and get some this summer. Congrats

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome! I didn't even realize Peter had any pinklegs in stock (the again, it might just be best to assume he always has at least one of anything laying around at any given time).
The pinklegs are such am impressive species, and C. spiningerus are one of my all-time favorites. Good luck with them.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice millipedes. I got 3 AGB's for Christmas. The only reason I got 3 from the wife is they were very cheap. I'm hoping they do breed as I am supposed to have 1 m and 2 f. Good luck on your breeding them. The pink leg is pretty awesome I might have to try and get some this summer. Congrats
Oh you are a lucky guy. Good luck with the AGBs. How big are they now? I hear they're hard to breed, so I assume they need some kind of temperature change or something to signal that it's the season for love.

Awesome! I didn't even realize Peter had any pinklegs in stock (the again, it might just be best to assume he always has at least one of anything laying around at any given time).
The pinklegs are such am impressive species, and C. spiningerus are one of my all-time favorites. Good luck with them.
He only had one left that wasn't listed the site. I'm incredibly grateful that he was willing to part with it! I can see why C. spiningerus would be your favorite. Mine were quite active last night and I had a lot of fun watching them. My dog seems to be having a good time watching the 'pedes too.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I absolutely adore D. macracanthus, and I really hope I can get some more (especially females), but they seem to be hard to get. I'd really love to breed them and help spread the species throughout the hobby. These guys are adorable and such fun to watch.

I haven't kept millipedes since I was a kid, and I'm a bit nervous, so if anyone has advice I'd be more than happy to hear it.
Lots of well mulched hardwood/leaves is appreciated. My spingerus seem to like bits of sugary fruit more than anything. I could be wrong but I think that D. macracanthus may be "the last unicorn" left in the states:(

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got a thick layer of boiled oak leaves in their tank, along with some rotten oak that they seem to enjoy. Does "mulching" entail anything else?

Peter mentioned having a friend whose D. macracanthus might breed a few years from now, but i'm pretty sure Nizzle Pizzle will be past his prime/dead by the the time the offspring are of breeding age. I'm afraid he's doomed to a life of loneliness. :(

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
!!!!

Are you going to be breeding them? I would love to get in on some of that sweet, sweet pling action (assuming you'd be selling them and live in the US).

Do you have any pointers you can give me? This guy is my first arboreal pede.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
!!!!

Are you going to be breeding them? I would love to get in on some of that sweet, sweet pling action (assuming you'd be selling them and live in the US).

Do you have any pointers you can give me? This guy is my first arboreal pede.
I am hoping they reproduce. I have done basic millipede care and they have grown over the last 20 months. What care questions do you have?

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am hoping they reproduce. I have done basic millipede care and they have grown over the last 20 months. What care questions do you have?
Whoa you've had em for a while. How many you got? How big are they now?

Just any basic care tips. What sort of humidity/temp levels have you found that they like best? Any foods they have particularly enjoyed? Are you providing calcium supplements/eggshells/ect? Can you give me an estimate of how long they vanish to molt?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I've got a thick layer of boiled oak leaves in their tank, along with some rotten oak that they seem to enjoy. Does "mulching" entail anything else?

Peter mentioned having a friend whose D. macracanthus might breed a few years from now, but i'm pretty sure Nizzle Pizzle will be past his prime/dead by the the time the offspring are of breeding age. I'm afraid he's doomed to a life of loneliness. :(
When I use the term "mulching" I'm mostly referring to the leaves/woods' state of decay...probably not the best descriptor. Under a given deciduous tree you have layers of fallen leaves from years past. The stuff that hasn't yet been broken down into soil but is well weathered is what I'm referring to. Kind of like compost that has still has chunks but for the most part is flaky.

I'm glad MrCrackerpants is on his game. Good luck with those!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh ok! I just picked up the leaves that fell this fall. I'll go collect some older, more rotten ones today. Thank you so much!

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm glad MrCrackerpants is on his game. Good luck with those!
Thanks, zonbonzovi!

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

Whoa you've had em for a while. How many you got? How big are they now?

Just any basic care tips. What sort of humidity/temp levels have you found that they like best? Any foods they have particularly enjoyed? Are you providing calcium supplements/eggshells/ect? Can you give me an estimate of how long they vanish to molt?
Yes, I got them from Peter 20 months ago. I got 5 at 1 inch. They have grown and are all about 5-6 inches. I have them with a moist substrate that is equal parts organic soil, wood shavings and chunks; hardwood leaves; coir and sphagnum moss. The top of the substrate is slightly moist but the substrate below is moist. I also have the substrate covered in 2 inches of Ash leaves and grape vine for climbing. I have no terrestrial isopods with them but I do have springtails. I have a big chunk of cuttle-bone in there that they eat. The room they are in is 78-80 F. They are in a black plastic container with a lid with minimal ventilation. I am not sure how long they molt for because they all look the same. I give them all kinds of different fruits and vegetables to try and give them a wide variety. They also like dry dog food. I hope this helps. If you have more questions please ask.

Anybody know if minimal ventilation is OK with this species? I have my Thai Rainbows in a similar set up and they reproduce like crazy. I do not have a problem with mold even with minimum ventilation because of the springtails.

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They grow faster than I thought! Are you using a pipe in the corner of the tank to hydrate a layer of hydroton at the bottom? I've heard that works really well with scorpions, but I kinda worry about the pedes trying to chew the plastic pipe. I'll add a cuttlebone and some kibble into my tank too. I wasn't sure how much ventilation was needed, but if yours are flourishing in a tub then it sounds like it's not a problem.

You aren't worried about the springtails eating the pede eggs? Have you tried "season changes" to stimulate whatever their breeding season is? I'm taking a look at Tanzania's climate section on Wikipedia, and it seems to have a rainy/dry cycle, and a warm/slightly cooler season cycle.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They grow faster than I thought! Are you using a pipe in the corner of the tank to hydrate a layer of hydroton at the bottom? I've heard that works really well with scorpions, but I kinda worry about the pedes trying to chew the plastic pipe. I'll add a cuttlebone and some kibble into my tank too. I wasn't sure how much ventilation was needed, but if yours are flourishing in a tub then it sounds like it's not a problem.

You aren't worried about the springtails eating the pede eggs? Have you tried "season changes" to stimulate whatever their breeding season is? I'm taking a look at Tanzania's climate section on Wikipedia, and it seems to have a rainy/dry cycle, and a warm/slightly cooler season cycle.
No, I am not using a pipe. I have been told that the springtails will not eat the eggs but many believe terrestrial isopods will. I have not tried "season changes."

Just a thought...I am wondering if your male and my 5 are siblings from the same clutch.

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, I am not using a pipe. I have been told that the springtails will not eat the eggs but many believe terrestrial isopods will. I have not tried "season changes."

Just a thought...

I am wondering if your male and my 5 are siblings from the same clutch. How long is your male?
Did you keep isopods with your Thai Rainbow millipedes that bred? That would be confirmation that they don't eat eggs, I suppose. Also, I was under the impression that millipedes would eat mold as well, have you had mold problems in millipede tanks before?

He's about 6 inches, it's quite likely that he is a sibling of your pedes. I haven't measured him, but here's a photo.

Is this about the size of yours? (I'm very little, which might make him look bigger)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Did you keep isopods with your Thai Rainbow millipedes that bred? That would be confirmation that they don't eat eggs, I suppose. Also, I was under the impression that millipedes would eat mold as well, have you had mold problems in millipede tanks before?

He's about 6 inches, it's quite likely that he is a sibling of your pedes. I haven't measured him, but here's a photo.

Is this about the size of yours? (I'm very little, which might make him look bigger)
Cool picture! They could be siblings. We both got them from Peter and yours is the same size as my 5. I wonder if Orin (Elytra and Antenna) bred them. Yes, I kept and still keep lots of isopods with my Thai millipedes and they breed like crazy so maybe it is species specific. I only keep isopods with them. I do not have mold problems because the springtails and isopods eat the mold. In the past, when I did not have the springtails or the isopods the millipedes could not keep the mold under control. Oddly enough, I also have very high numbers of stone centipedes (Geophilomorpha) in with my breeding Thai millipedes.

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool picture! They could be siblings. We both got them from Peter and yours is the same size as my 5. I wonder if Orin (Elytra and Antenna) bred them. Yes, I kept and still keep lots of isopods with my Thai millipedes and they breed like crazy so maybe it is species specific. I do not have mold problems because the springtails and isopods eat the mold. In the past, when I did not have the springtails or the isopods the millipedes could not keep the mold under control. Oddly enough, I also have very high numbers of stone centipedes (Geophilomorpha) in with my breeding Thai millipedes.
Thanks!

The tank I'll be using has a screen top, so hopefully mold won't be an issue. If it becomes one, I'll get a pack of springtails.
I'm not familiar with Orin. I've seen a few of their posts, but thats it. They breed millipedes?

Whoa! How come you decided to keep stone centipedes in there? Is it to keep the springtail population under control? I guess the centipedes leave the millipedes alone due to their defensive secretion?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I can vouch, springtails will NOT eat millipede eggs. I wonder if your Dentrostreptus are from the same brood as well.

---------- Post added 01-09-2013 at 07:08 PM ----------

Oddly enough, I also have very high numbers of stone centipedes (Geophilomorpha) in with my breeding Thai millipedes.
Those stone centipedes feed on the fruit but also kill freshly molted millipedes whenever they get a chance. Try to remove them. Did you see the new millipede book?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can vouch, springtails will NOT eat millipede eggs. I wonder if your Dentrostreptus are from the same brood as well.

---------- Post added 01-09-2013 at 07:08 PM ----------

Those stone centipedes feed on the fruit but also kill freshly molted millipedes whenever they get a chance. Try to remove them. Did you see the new millipede book?
Thanks, Orin. I will remove the stone centipedes. They must have hitched a ride with some materials I put in their enclosure.

Did you have a clutch of pinklegs that Peter (bugsincyberspace) sold?

Yes!! The book looks awesome. Good job. I will be buying one ASAP. : )

---------- Post added 01-09-2013 at 08:04 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
I'm not familiar with Orin. I've seen a few of their posts, but thats it. They breed millipedes?
Yes, he is the author of this

http://www.amazon.com/Millipeds-Cap...UTF8&qid=1357776428&sr=1-4&keywords=millipede

Last edited: