Got my new d5600, question

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
It would be wasted $$ on me. If I haven't got it through my head by now, it just isn't happening. It's like a friend who took 11 years to get a certain perfect picture. Me, I'd be clawing my way up a wall in 11 minutes.
Naw, sometimes it's more about "not knowing what you don't know". A decent teacher will know what key things the typical student needs to learn (things the student may not even know are things!)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Naw, sometimes it's more about "not knowing what you don't know". A decent teacher will know what key things the typical student needs to learn (things the student may not even know are things!)
Throwing down the gauntlet, huh? And it goes against every bone in my body to have an academic field going 'Nyaaa!' and not meeting it like a charging bull. If anyone asks where I went I'm in the closet burning photography books.

So the f-stop is the aperture determining exposure event horizon. Wide open aperture gets it up in your face and all the muons and gluons and quarks way out there are fuzzy.
I need analogies besides astrofizzies methinks.

Last edited:

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I would expect a cheap flash to communicate through the hot shoe, no? I’d have thought a slave function would be more expensive.
As I understand it, the computer controls the flash - exposure compensation plus some sort of timing thing and I think the focus even gets involved. So if Nikon hasn't programmed a certain flash it doesn't even recognize one is attached.

Sifting through the nomenclature. Nikon doesn't have simple flash triggering. They call it iTTL, intelligent Through The Lens flash control. Some of the settings that affect how it works are RAW or Jpeg, Aperature, ... oh fork. Here's a page that explains it:
https://www.photo.net/learn/guide-to-nikon-ttl-flashes/

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I got the camera and have been playing around with it. I cant figure out why despite having my flash on and some other lighting, my pictures are coming out so dark. I'm sure it's something simple. Any help?
They either come out super dark or super bright.
You need to muck about with the ISO and exposure time settings, I generally shoot at ISO 200 with an exposure time of 1/200 sec. Using a diffuser on your flash helps a lot too.

Plus I always see a shadow from the lens when I try to get close up shots. How do I avoid this?
Use a TTL speedlite (or something other than the camera's onboard flash).