Got my first tarantula! (Las-stratipes)

Kentk

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, I just got my first tarantula today, thought joining the board would be a good idea!
Wasn't entirely sure which breed to chose as they had over 50 different ones, but eventually settled for this qute girl. I'm so happy right now :embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

The water bowl got messy during the trip to my home, but will get cleaned today! :shy:

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Welcome.
Lasiodora is a very fast growing genus and they make significant size increases each moult. Because of that, I always put them into larger homes than I would a slow growing species of the same size. That cuts back on the number of times I rehouse them, because they don't really appreciate being rehoused.
This is a fairly reactive genus, who can sometimes be downright defensive, and their urticating hairs are horrible. I hope you have 10-12" tongs to do maintenance and feeding, because you should never, ever, stick your hands in there. They have a strong feeding response.

Kentk

Arachnopeon
Welcome.
Lasiodora is a very fast growing genus and they make significant size increases each moult. Because of that, I always put them into larger homes than I would a slow growing species of the same size. That cuts back on the number of times I rehouse them, because they don't really appreciate being rehoused.
This is a fairly reactive genus, who can sometimes be downright defensive, and their urticating hairs are horrible. I hope you have 10-12" tongs to do maintenance and feeding, because you should never, ever, stick your hands in there. They have a strong feeding response.
Hey! Thank you for the valuable info, I just learned the hard way not to touch her, heading to a cold shower in a few.
I thought that the only time the hairs would be an issue would be if T were to try and defend it self, didn't know that just touching them means trouble.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Lasiodora is a very fast growing genus
Tell my L. klugi that. One of the slowest growers in my collection. Twice, she has molted and not increased her legspan at all. I bought her as a sling thinking she would grow like a weed...not so much.

Last edited:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Welcome to the boards. I think you’ve made two good decisions. One on your choice of tarantula (although that is not a usual choice of a first, not bad, just unusual). Two, joining AB. Take to heart what @Vanessa wrote about the characteristic of that genus, be cautious, and you will do well.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hey! Thank you for the valuable info, I just learned the hard way not to touch her, heading to a cold shower in a few.
I thought that the only time the hairs would be an issue would be if T were to try and defend it self, didn't know that just touching them means trouble.
Tarantulas will use their urticating hairs in a number of ways besides as an active defense mechanism. They will deposit hairs all over their enclosure as a more passive safety measure. Be cautious touching anything that has been in their enclosures - water dishes, hides, substrate.
They will cover their moulting mat with urticating hairs as that is when they are at their most vulnerable. Ensure that you never touch their shed exoskeleton with your bare hands.
Unfortunately, there is no evidence that you can build up a tolerance to the effects of their urticating hairs. In fact, there is evidence to the opposite - that the reaction keeps getting worse and worse with each exposure.
Always be cautious and deliberate in everything you do around them and you should be fine.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Unfortunately, there is no evidence that you can build up a tolerance to the effects of their urticating hairs. In fact, there is evidence to the opposite - that the reaction keeps getting worse and worse with each exposure.
Yeah, sensitization allergies to urticating hairs are no joke. That's how I ended up receiving a few spiders from friends who can no longer cope with their new world Ts.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Touching the tarantula or its molt, touching the substrate, touching anything that came from the enclosure -- these are all potential ways to be exposed to urticating hairs.