Got my first T!

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just got back from the Pomona reptile show in So. Cal. I bought a Pink Zebra Beauty. I set up it's cage and it's now exploring a bit. Any pointers would be helpful.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, congrats man! :)

You made a very good choice for your first T. I'm sure it was explained to you what sweethearts E. campestratus can be.

As far as tips go, I know how exciting it is to get a new T. In light of that, try to resist the temptation to muss with it too much for the first few days. Basically, just give it a little while to adjust and settle into it's new home.
All that's really needed is a nice place to hide and a water dish. No sponge is needed for the water dish by the way. Some decoration is cool too as long as it's nothing sharp like rocks, spiny plants/leaves etc.

It may spend some time climbing at first. That's normal. Many T's don't care for the feel of fresh substrate but it will soon begin to lay down some silk and get used to it. From there it will begin to do it's thing.

It's also good to be sure and arrange it's enclosure correctly the first time. T's are creatures of habit and can stress if the surroundings change too frequently.

How big is she?

Atrax

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. I don't plan on fussing around with it too much. I just like watching it do it's thing. It's gonna take a little time before i'm ready to try and hold it.
You measure by leg span right? Well, when the T is just standing around and relaxing it seems to be about 2 to 3 inches.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Good choice, nice size to work with.
Mine are so tiny, they can stand on a dime and not touch the edge.:eek: One of them just molted a few days ago.
That was really wild to watch.
I ended up having to dig him out to help him finish the molt.
I had to use a magnifying glass!=D

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by LAking
Thanks for the info. I don't plan on fussing around with it too much. I just like watching it do it's thing. It's gonna take a little time before i'm ready to try and hold it.
You measure by leg span right? Well, when the T is just standing around and relaxing it seems to be about 2 to 3 inches.
Hi LAking,

Good luck with your new pink zebra beauty, when you are ready, the pzb is a nice docile tarantula to hold. There is more of a chance for the tarantula to take a fall and get hurt than you getting bit. So, if you do decide to hold it...stay low to the ground. A nice soft place for the T to land is a plus.

You are correct that T's are measured by leg span. I usually measure mine from front to back on the diagonal when they are on the glass side of their tank. Here are a few rules about measuring since you're new to this:

1. Measure from first to last walking leg on the diagonal and add 50% if you are selling the T.

2. Measure from first to last walking leg on the diagonal and subtract 50% if its road kill.

I hope that helps! ;)

Last edited:

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome LAking,
You did make a nice choice for a starter T. What type of substrate are you using? Also make sure whatever you put in for the T as a hide, it is not made of cedar.

I have a PZB and she is really cool. I don't see her for awhile sometimes since she likes to stay in her hide, but she's a good T anyway:)

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by LAking
Just got back from the Pomona reptile show in So. Cal. I bought a Pink Zebra Beauty. I set up it's cage and it's now exploring a bit. Any pointers would be helpful.
hey, congratulations on your first t! how was the show, lots of stuff to choose from?
there is a bug fair may 31 and june 1 at the L.A. county natural history museum, it is their 17th year. there will be vendors there. well worth the trip! it is the largest bug fair in north america as per their claim. the museum also has a cool insect zoo.
Ed

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey, congratulations on your first t! how was the show, lots of stuff to choose from?
Actually, not a great show. The San diego show is much better. I did hear about the bug show, and i LOVE the fact that it's at the natural history museum. SOOOO much closer to my place than pomona. i just know i'm going to find a nice PZB for a better price when i check out the bug show. Only one vendor had PZB's in pomona and i paid $30 for it. Based on prices i've seen on the net, that wasn't a great value. However, i just couldn't wait any longer, i wanted a spider BAD.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
excellent choice! my first was a G. rosea and last i went to hold her she twapped me with her legs. :( alas.

my A. avic is new and MUCH calmer so i think she's in molt. i'm really, really hoping she's sweet and friendly afterwards.

hopefully it's not just a 'calm' thing during molts only, but i've heard that these are generally docile Ts.

i have a PZB as well but it's just a tiny sling the size of a dime right now. i really look forward to her growing up! :D