Got my first T today

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Read here at this forum. When you have a question AFTER doing research then ask. Enjoy

Don't use tongs to spoon feed a wild animal!!!! Or your T may die.
Also I did research but that tong thing is what I was looking for thanks. I try not to ask stupid questions

omni

Arachnobaron
plenty of people tong feed without incident. the T paws the prey before fangs can contact the tongs. now if you Hand Feed a T, that could be risky. I think I've fed with tongs 25x or so across a few years, to encourage my lividus out. I'd guess there's less than 5% chance of solidly fanging the tongs

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also I did research but that tong thing is what I was looking for thanks. I try not to ask stupid questions
I don't think there are stupid question generally. What I do think is stupid is when people ask questions that lack any type of critical thought. For example, when someone's T decides not to eat, they think something is wrong- how come that is odd, after all don't other animals get full??? It's that lack of critical thinking that is severely lacking in a lot of people.

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
I don't think there are stupid question generally. What I do think is stupid is when people ask questions that lack any type of critical thought. For example, when someone's T decides not to eat, they think something is wrong- how come that is odd, after all don't other animals get full??? It's that lack of critical thinking that is severely lacking in a lot of people.
haha yeah i get what your saying man

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

What I'm discussing with @ThatBugGuy isn't "worry", it's questioning in the absence of critical thinking. There's a big difference. I provided a quick example earlier.

Dodgypill

Arachnopeon
What I'm discussing with @ThatBugGuy isn't "worry", it's questioning in the absence of critical thinking. There's a big difference. I provided a quick example earlier.
Maybe I'm just not understanding you but does critical thinking regarding an alien species not require experience?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe I'm just not understanding you but does critical thinking regarding an alien species not require experience?
My comment wasn't a reference to you, seems like you are thinking that??

One can exercise logical critical thinking skills in the absence of knowing things if that's what you are asking. Scientists do it all the time for example.

See my post 25 for my example.

Dodgypill

Arachnopeon
My comment wasn't a reference to you, seems like you are thinking that??

One can exercise logical critical thinking skills in the absence of knowing things if that's what you are asking. Scientists do it all the time for example.

See my post 25 for my example.
Sorry I didn't realise this was a private chat , thought there wouldve been a pm option or something.... last question for ya buddy , were you an expert when you got your first T?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry I didn't realise this was a private chat , thought there wouldve been a pm option or something.... last question for ya buddy , were you an expert when you got your first T?
It's not a private chat haha..If it was, I'd be using the PM feature here on the board. Check your profile for the PM option.

No one is an expert in anything, we are all learners in life, myself included.

Dodgypill

Arachnopeon
It's not a private chat haha..If it was, I'd be using the PM feature here on the board. Check your profile for the PM option.

No one is an expert in anything, we are all learners in life, myself included.
Yeah I've already been using it was being a little sarcastic, my apologies... and I thought so , my reasons for asking is that the experienced keepers who are in these forums to help newcomers seem to be rather harsh and short fused

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I've already been using it was being a little sarcastic, my apologies... and I thought so , my reasons for asking is that the experienced keepers who are in these forums to help newcomers seem to be rather harsh and short fused
No problem- I don't try to infer tone from text on forums- gets one into trouble IME, plus I don't take it personally, after all, it's just words on a forum.

I hear ya on that hard stuff. I've certainly been called out on that, sometimes fairly, sometimes not. Me personally, I'm direct/blunt, I deal in facts. I'm not concerned w/people's emotions, nor should they be concerned with mine when conveying information about these wonderful exotic animals, RIGHT? After all the subject is TARANTULAS not US.

I don't tell posters a bedtime story and give them milk. I don't have time for that.

BUT, others do! And that's their style of conveying the SAME message!

Enjoy!

Dodgypill

Arachnopeon
No problem- I don't try to infer tone from text on forums- gets one into trouble IME, plus I don't take it personally, after all, it's just words on a forum.

I hear ya on that hard stuff. I've certainly been called out on that, sometimes fairly, sometimes not. Me personally, I'm direct/blunt, I deal in facts. I'm not concerned w/people's emotions, nor should they be concerned with mine when conveying information about these wonderful exotic animals, RIGHT? After all the subject is TARANTULAS not US.

I don't tell posters a bedtime story and give them milk. I don't have time for that.

BUT, others do! And that's their style of conveying the SAME message!

Enjoy!
TURANTULAS !!!!!!!!!

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Sheesh I just was looking for tips from people with experience lmao I always do extensive research and think hard about things but I always like to ask someone who's been in the hobby for some time. I agree with viper and sometimes blunt information is the best. Some people put sugar in there coffee and others don't. Anyway thanks for the info viper and thanks for your first T pics dodgy. 👍