Got my first T today

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
I got my first T today. petco rescue, its a curly hair T with a giant bald spot on the abdomen. did some research and from what ive collected its from excessive kicking and will come back with good care and a molt or two. not sure of gender i plan on getting some pics when its become comfortable with its new enclosure so i dont stress it too much. any protips on this species or pointers would be great since this is my first T.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I got my first T today. petco rescue, its a curly hair T with a giant bald spot on the abdomen. did some research and from what ive collected its from excessive kicking and will come back with good care and a molt or two. not sure of gender i plan on getting some pics when its become comfortable with its new enclosure so i dont stress it too much. any protips on this species or pointers would be great since this is my first T.
Let’s see your enclosure so we can all tear you apart.

But seriously, if you would like some pro tips, let’s see the enclosure

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire

Lmao that’s super tough I’ll go get some pictures now so I can be shamed for my mistakes 😂

Hello, and welcome! You might want to check out the thread for beginners if you're new to tarantula keeping. It's a good place to start, since Petco gives you really awful keeping instructions.
Thank you and that thread will be helpful and visited often and yeah I didn’t ask for advice from petco since I knew more than them about the animals they were keeping :rofl: I almost got a Pac-Man frog if they didn’t try to scam me by calling a regular one “albino”..

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
It's not shaming, really. Tarantulas have much different needs from most other pets and a lot of the care info, especially from large chain pet stores is outright wrong. If you have questions, don't be shy :) . Coming here and asking us is a great step.

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire

Here is the enclosure and T

Attachments

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Overall pretty decent. I’d personally add a lil more substrate to reduce any fall related injuries, but good otherwise.
Will do next time I do maintenance, I might have to add higher ventilation then but I didn’t stress it too much because I read that they are burrowers and won’t be climbing much, plus I don’t think it will be able to climb the sides, I did as much research as possible before I got it to ensure I can care for it in the best ways possible but I’m sure there’s a few things I missed, as for the bald spot what do you think of it? Serious or minor? I almost didn’t get it cause of it but I had the urge to take it away from that horrid place. :rofl:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

It comes back in one moult, nothing to worrie about, only that it may itch if you get hairs onto you!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Here is the enclosure and T
One of the better newbie setups tbh, looks good.

If the gap between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure is more than 1.5x leg span (e.g. more than a 6" gap for a 4" spider) then add more substrate until it isn't.

cold blood

Staff member
ecause I read that they are burrowers and won’t be climbing much
They dig and move sub around, but they typically sit out in the open.
plus I don’t think it will be able to climb the sides, I
It can....easily. All ts climb given the opportunity.
as for the bald spot what do you think of it? Serious or minor
Bald spots are neither serious or minor...theyre just bald spots and not indicative of health or any problem.

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Oh my god! I’ve never seen a bald spot like that, poor T... Must of been flicking like mad... Happy to think it’s in better hands now.
Yeah it was pretty upsetting to see that giant spot when they lifted the hide.

omni

Arachnobaron
typical store T, people always tap on the glass or more and they live in almost constant stress. it'll be gorgeous after next molt and I'm guessing it's now about 3"? if it's not a female, you'll know after next molt because males mature about 4" +/-
T. albo's are one of my top favs! GL with the fuzzball!

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
typical store T, people always tap on the glass or more and they live in almost constant stress. it'll be gorgeous after next molt and I'm guessing it's now about 3"? if it's not a female, you'll know after next molt because males mature about 4" +/-
T. albo's are one of my top favs! GL with the fuzzball!
I'm not sure how big she is im hopping for a female but I haven't gotten pictures of the underside. Since I'm new to this do you know anywhere that I can get good info on molts, size, and general information on Ts

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure how big she is im hopping for a female but I haven't gotten pictures of the underside. Since I'm new to this do you know anywhere that I can get good info on molts, size, and general information on Ts
Tom Moran ‘Tom’s big spiders’ website is a treasure trove of well presented knowledge. He also has a YouTube channel of the same name.