Got my first crested gecko

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
hey all this is my first post in this sub forum. I bought a crested gecko the other day and I really like this little guy. I would like any tips on enclosure set-up that you guys have. I know the grape wood molds easily should I use something else? I'm also thinking about getting a food dish that attaches to the wall so it can be higher up

Attachments

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Hey, you didn't happen to visit the Predators Reptile Expo, did you? Just asking because I got my own first crestie at the expo on Saturday. :D

As for the enclosure, I'd recommend adding more cover- a whole lot of extra leaves would most likely be appreciated, as well as an arboreal hide of some sort. My new gecko seems to like weaving himself around the plastic branches I bought, and I also have a hanging coconut hide for good measure.

I'm not so sure on the wood; it might not mold depending on how well ventilated your terrarium is, but I've never used grape wood nor have I read anything on it. A magnetic food ledge or some other dish that sticks to the wall is really good for cresties since they don't like to spend time on the ground, and they'll eat more if it's within easy reach.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the info! And yes I bought him at the expo. I'm ordering a magnetic dish on amazon for him and I have an idea for a diy suspended hide that I'm going to try out. I also have a cork round that I was saving for a different animal but I think I should just use it. I'm still getting a feel for furniture placement and what not. Are you using paper towels as substrate?

GingerC

Arachnosquire
I've heard that crested geckos love a hollow piece of cork bark, your gecko will probably love it. :) I feel you on furniture; I started out with just the bare minimum, and I've been finding out what the gecko uses and adding new items as I see fit. At the moment, I'm just using paper towels, because I'm paranoid about impactions and want to make sure he's eating, although I'm not fond of how it looks.