Got Millipedes, Need Answers!

Akvaan

Arachnopeon
As this says, I recently got some millipedes and some beetles and would like a few questions answered about care.

1. I've heard people feed them pet food. Do you just put the kibble in the tank or do you moisten it first?
2. How can you tell if the tank is humid enough or too humid? I've got O. ornatus and Blue Death Feigning Beetles. I've got a water bowl that I'm keeping wet (I've got the bottom covered in rocks so the millis don't drown, of course) and I lightly misted half of the tank earlier, but any other way to tell that? How would I know if it was too much or too little bar the inhabitants dying?
3. Temp in the room appears to be 63-66 or so, should I slap a heat pad on the side (have a hand-me-down reptile one) or is that good?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for existing: this site gave me the tools and confidence to get these pets initially, so thank y'all for always helping new people out.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
1. Yeah I have some O. Ornatus and I just put in either dog food or fish flakes, and I leave them dry. You can do maybe a bowl of dry and moistened kibble and see which they like more!
2. I have a pretty deep bin as they get large and it allows more of the gradients for dryer to more humid. They do pretty well in dryness. Too moisture could be fatal, so I just slightly keep it moist/damp. I technique I found watching a care vid on these guys are is pouring water to the bottom in one section which keeps the top layer dryer and bottom stays more humid
3. I think you should bump up the heat a little. I keep them in my room which is room temp and they seem to do really well (high 60's to low 70's). If you are going to use a heat pad put it to the side because they burrow and getting close to the heat pad when they think they are getting away from heat could be potentially harmful.

Akvaan

Arachnopeon
1. Yeah I have some O. Ornatus and I just put in either dog food or fish flakes, and I leave them dry.
Is that all you feed them, or do you feed them other things too?

2. I have a pretty deep bin as they get large and it allows more of the intervals for dryer to more humid. They do pretty god damn well in dryness. Too moisture could be fatal, so I just slightly keep it moist/damp.
Perfect! The soil's dry, but I've misted today and I have a water bowl for them, so they SHOULD be okay from what I've heard.

3. I think you should bump up the heat a little. I keep them in my room which is room temp and they seem to do really well (high 60's to low 70's). If you are going to use a heat pad put it to the side because they burrow and getting close to the heat pad when they think they are getting away from heat could be potentially harmful.
Will do! How much of the pad, do you think, should be under the substrate and how much should be over? From the sounds of it, it should all just be over.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Is that all you feed them, or do you feed them other things too?

Perfect! The soil's dry, but I've misted today and I have a water bowl for them, so they SHOULD be okay from what I've heard.

Will do! How much of the pad, do you think, should be under the substrate and how much should be over? From the sounds of it, it should all just be over.
I also give them assortment of other foods like greens and also dead leaves mixed into their substrate. Also I have some grinder up egg shells which make a good source of calcium. Correction, I actually do wet the dog food a little.
For heat pad it doesn't really matter, I just kinda slap it on the side of the tank, I'd leave it so that half of it is covering sub and other is not and is kinda just radiating some heat.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I feed mixed fruit and vegetables. The tanks I have are dry for both because they like less humidity. I do have one side with that’s slightly wet so the millipede can go to the humid part of the soil and the rest is dry. They don’t need the water bowl if they are being fed with fresh food and a humid side. You can tell if it’s too humid because blue ironclads turn black if they get wet. Also, a heat pad even on the side needs a thermostat

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
I feed mixed fruit and vegetables. The tanks I have are dry for both because they like less humidity. I do have one side with that’s slightly wet so the millipede can go to the humid part of the soil and the rest is dry. They don’t need the water bowl if they are being fed with fresh food and a humid side. You can tell if it’s too humid because blue ironclads turn black if they get wet. Also, a heat pad even on the side needs a thermostat
is your profile pic a O. ornatus?

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Yes. That was from the day I picked him up from a shop. They are one of my favorite millipedes. I was considering switching it to my dune scorpion but I decided not to.

Akvaan

Arachnopeon
I feed mixed fruit and vegetables.
Will keep that in mind for future feedings. Any preferred?

The tanks I have are dry for both because they like less humidity. I do have one side with that’s slightly wet so the millipede can go to the humid part of the soil and the rest is dry...You can tell if it’s too humid because blue ironclads turn black if they get wet.
I misted, I just have trouble telling if it's too dry.

Also, a heat pad even on the side needs a thermostat.
Do you think I need one at my temp? I know nothing about heat pads, recommendations? What kind of thermostat?

Sterls

Arachnobaron
As this says, I recently got some millipedes and some beetles and would like a few questions answered about care.

1. I've heard people feed them pet food. Do you just put the kibble in the tank or do you moisten it first?
2. How can you tell if the tank is humid enough or too humid? I've got O. ornatus and Blue Death Feigning Beetles. I've got a water bowl that I'm keeping wet (I've got the bottom covered in rocks so the millis don't drown, of course) and I lightly misted half of the tank earlier, but any other way to tell that? How would I know if it was too much or too little bar the inhabitants dying?
3. Temp in the room appears to be 63-66 or so, should I slap a heat pad on the side (have a hand-me-down reptile one) or is that good?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for existing: this site gave me the tools and confidence to get these pets initially, so thank y'all for always helping new people out.
1. I don't, and I'd be hesitant to personally, but I know many do. If you choose to I'd say go for the expensive stuff that doesn't have as much bullcrap in it. I stick to vegetables and Repashy Morning Wood for supplemental food, and my substrate mix has an ample amount of hardwood and leaves.
2. I keep Orthoporus but not death beetles, so this advice needs to be cross checked with their care. I've heard of people keeping them communally before though so they should match up well.
  • I don't use a water dish nor do I mist
  • I keep at least the bottom 1/4 of the substrate moist at all times (my substrate is an inch or two deeper than my longest millipede)
  • To top off or increase the water level, I pour some in away from where any of the millipedes are. Poking a channel down the side helps the water soak into the bottom layers quicker.
  • The highest I let the water level get is 3/4 of the sub height. These are desert millipedes so you need to give them access to dry substrate.
3. That seems too low to me, but I would be hesitant to use a heat mat - even if you placed it on the side. My millipedes have burrowed right up against the side of their enclosure at times, so I worry even a side mounted heat mat could cook them. If you have no warmer areas of the home to place them in, I'd suggest placing the mat on a wall (or other vertical surface) near the enclosure, but not touching. That'll warm it up but prevent them from roasting. Even if you have a thermostat (which you definitely NEED if you use one), they work by attaining an average temp within a range - so when it kicks on it'll get hotter than the setting for a little bit, until it reaches its "off" threshold.

Akvaan

Arachnopeon
1. I don't, and I'd be hesitant to personally, but I know many do. If you choose to I'd say go for the expensive stuff that doesn't have as much bullcrap in it. I stick to vegetables and Repashy Morning Wood for supplemental food, and my substrate mix has an ample amount of hardwood and leaves.
Cat food was all I had on hand today, will go with veggies in the future.

2. I keep Orthoporus but not death beetles, so this advice needs to be cross checked with their care. I've heard of people keeping them communally before though so they should match up well.
  • I don't use a water dish nor do I mist
  • I keep at least the bottom 1/4 of the substrate moist at all times (my substrate is an inch or two deeper than my longest millipede)
  • To top off or increase the water level, I pour some in away from where any of the millipedes are. Poking a channel down the side helps the water soak into the bottom layers quicker.
  • The highest I let the water level get is 3/4 of the sub height. These are desert millipedes so you need to give them access to dry substrate.
How do you manage to get the bottom moist, but the top dry? Do you just put a hole down and then put water in?

3. That seems too low to me, but I would be hesitant to use a heat mat - even if you placed it on the side. My millipedes have burrowed right up against the side of their enclosure at times, so I worry even a side mounted heat mat could cook them. If you have no warmer areas of the home to place them in, I'd suggest placing the mat on a wall (or other vertical surface) near the enclosure, but not touching. That'll warm it up but prevent them from roasting. Even if you have a thermostat (which you definitely NEED if you use one), they work by attaining an average temp within a range - so when it kicks on it'll get hotter than the setting for a little bit, until it reaches its "off" threshold.
Could I place the heat mat higher up so they couldn't burrow against it? I only have access to keeping them in my bedroom, so I can't do much regarding other rooms. I could try putting one next to the tank on the table they're on.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Cat food was all I had on hand today, will go with veggies in the future.
Mine like carrots and brussel sprouts, FYI.
How do you manage to get the bottom moist, but the top dry? Do you just put a hole down and then put water in?
Yes, that's what I meant by "poking a channel down the side". Just use a paintbrush/chopstick/etc and poke straight down - make sure no millipedes are in the path of it obviously. You'll have to add water slowly near the hole, but it'll infiltrate more efficiently than if you just try to pour it on top.
Could I place the heat mat higher up so they couldn't burrow against it? I only have access to keeping them in my bedroom, so I can't do much regarding other rooms. I could try putting one next to the tank on the table they're on.
Without a picture of your enclosure it's hard to say, as I don't know what you're keeping it in. If it's mostly above the substrate, shouldn't be an issue, so it really depends on how big the mat is and how much "headspace" the millipedes have.

All of that said - please take my advice with a certain grain of salt. I've kept this species for over 2.5 years, but I just now discovered a death in my collection which I will have to investigate.

Akvaan

Arachnopeon
All of that said - please take my advice with a certain grain of salt. I've kept this species for over 2.5 years, but I just now discovered a death in my collection which I will have to investigate.
From what I've heard, everyone has a death at some point, yeah?

Without a picture of your enclosure it's hard to say, as I don't know what you're keeping it in. If it's mostly above the substrate, shouldn't be an issue, so it really depends on how big the mat is and how much "headspace" the millipedes have.
If you need more pics, let me know. I've got about 4.5-5 inches of substrate, and I'm pretty sure the tank is 12-16 inches in height.

Attachments

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Yes, it's inevitable when keeping any animal. Mostly concerned because it's my second in 5 months. Both specimens were in my possession since 2018, so it's possible they were natural deaths. But since this species is long-lived I'm not going to let myself off the hook until I get others' opinions, via my own post. I wanted to provide you with transparency - I can't morally give out advice on care otherwise if I may be having issues. Only responding because I replied before this discovery - I'll answer what I'm still comfortable with though.
If you need more pics, let me know. I've got about 4.5-5 inches of substrate, and I'm pretty sure the tank is 12-16 inches in height.
First - I still can't speak to whether your heat mat could work - would need dimensions for both it and the cage, or a picture that shows how you have it set up.

More importantly, what's that substrate made of? It's looks very sand heavy. Some people add sand to Ortho sub, but I've not heard of it being the main component, nor should it be.

The primary component of any millipede substrate needs to be organic matter: rotting hardwood, leaves, and compost are the most commonly used. My mix consists of mostly traeger oak pellets and food waste compost, with sphagnum, coco coir, and reptisoil combined accounting for the other ~25% of the sub. After that's all mixed I take a good amount of hardwood leaves, crush them, and mix them into the top few inches of substrate. I also sprinkle both crushed and whole leaves on top. I use that mix for my Narceus species as well. Next batch I make for the Orthos I'll probably add some sand, I just hadn't thought of it before I made this mix.

Here's a popular thread on making substrate, which was my starting point. You'll have to make adjustments based on what's available in your area. Here's a video by another user here that made some similar adjustments to me as well - substrate discussion starts @ 2:05.

You can also buy some premade by a number of vendors. Listing specific ones is against the rules, but google should pull them up. The creator of that video also reviewed at least one of them at some point. PM me if you can't find any and I'll tell you the ones I know.

Do NOT use "EZ Botanicals" brand from amazon. It lists "fir" as the wood component, which is a softwood (coniferous) and not suitable for millipedes. If anyone here uses it - speak up. I don't trust it looking at the product page though.

Akvaan

Arachnopeon
More importantly, what's that substrate made of? It's looks very sand heavy. Some people add sand to Ortho sub, but I've not heard of it being the main component, nor should it be.

The primary component of any millipede substrate needs to be organic matter: rotting hardwood, leaves, and compost are the most commonly used. My mix consists of mostly traeger oak pellets and food waste compost, with sphagnum, coco coir, and reptisoil combined accounting for the other ~25% of the sub. After that's all mixed I take a good amount of hardwood leaves, crush them, and mix them into the top few inches of substrate. I also sprinkle both crushed and whole leaves on top. I use that mix for my Narceus species as well. Next batch I make for the Orthos I'll probably add some sand, I just hadn't thought of it before I made this mix.

Here's a popular thread on making substrate, which was my starting point. You'll have to make adjustments based on what's available in your area. Here's a video by another user here that made some similar adjustments to me as well - substrate discussion starts @ 2:05.

You can also buy some premade by a number of vendors. Listing specific ones is against the rules, but google should pull them up. The creator of that video also reviewed at least one of them at some point. PM me if you can't find any and I'll tell you the ones I know.

Do NOT use "EZ Botanicals" brand from amazon. It lists "fir" as the wood component, which is a softwood (coniferous) and not suitable for millipedes. If anyone here uses it - speak up. I don't trust it looking at the product page though.
I know it looks that way, but it's only about 1/4 sand, other 3/4 is a blend I bought that is stated to be soil, composted materials, blended sphagnum peat moss, and a little bit of calcium carbonate powder, but I was told it also has oak pellets and leaves mixed into the compost part. It just happened to be a pretty dark substrate, so the sand really stands out in it + it's not mixed the best, so the front-facing pane of the tank looks very sandy, and so does the top quarter-inch, but the left-facing pane and the back-facing pane are mostly not sandy. I've also got hardwood leaves mixed in there, but planned on adding some more to the top, that picture I sent was right after I got them in there.

I was told by the guy I bought from that 1/4 or even 1/2 sand is alright for a combination of O. ornatus and the beetles, but that could be incorrect, I don't really know better since these are my first.

I still can't speak to whether your heat mat could work - would need dimensions for both it and the cage, or a picture that shows how you have it set up.
Here's two more images a bit further out. Dimensions of the tank as as follows: L: 20 1/8 in., W: 10 1/4 in., H: 12 3/4 in. according to my tape measure, translates to roughly 11 U.S. liquid gallons or roughly 9 1/2 imperial gallons. Substrate is 4 1/2 in. at its deepest. Don't know the size of a heat mat since I don't own one.

Attachments

Last edited:

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron

Breeding these are really hard unless things have recently changed so they are wild caught meaning deaths will happen. Also, captive bred, they are animals not immortal