got bored...........made a cactus bowl

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
old fish bowl, some gravel, dirt, a few sticks and a couple rocks.

oh and cactus.

what do you think?
its my first attempt at anything like this.

moose

Last edited:

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice, Moose! I just wish you would size the pictures smaller so I didn't have to scroll all over..geesh. Very nice arrangement! You just love everything to do with us southwestern people huh. :) You do have succulents mixed in there and they will retain a lot of water so they will rarely need water. Watch for any signs of yellowing. Remember, dry, dry, dry, especially with the humidity you have. Maybe throw a few ice cubes on them once a month and that's about it. Good job. P.s. what kind of soil did you use? It looks like regular potting soil, if so you should mix in some soil especially made for cacti with more of a sand base.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome, I love the living stones, I use to have cactus, and flowers all over my old house, go to cactus shows and all
then I got in way to many spiders and killed all my cacti :(

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks everyone

P.s. what kind of soil did you use? It looks like regular potting soil, if so you should mix in some soil especially made for cacti with more of a sand base.
i used "cactus soil"

moose

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dont they need good drainage, in a bowl the water cant escape and could mold right? Looks very nice but i'd hate to have to pull them out when they get large and get larger spines!

I have a barrel cactus, the cacti where the color part is grafted on the top (top died now i'm left with the green stem growing side shoots) and a single living stone that's pink and blue, close one you have.

I mix 50% perlite with the cactus soil, as even cactus soil gets compact over time and molds. I also put small,sharp rocks in the bottom of the pot, and the pot has drainage holes. I skip watering all Winter, and begin again in March.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ if you dont over water them there should be no reason to worry about mold, or plant rot. I love cacti, and have many of them I grow indoors and outdoors. I also keep native missouri cacti, which have some of the worst spines I have ever encountered.

Id love is someone could send me some jumping cactus, next spring.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks again guys.

i think i'm gonna make 1 for my mom for x-mas.

moose

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Moose, you might consider selling a few as well. there are websites that sell crappy ones for upwards of 100 dollars. Yours makes them look sad

One thing I might add, While the fishbowl type is cool, they are eventually a nightmare to maintain.

Id suggest going with a shallow dish..that way in the future they can be transplanted easier.

this is what I like to use.

http://www.eventsct.com/wp-content/uploads/rentals/decor/centerpieces/12inshallowglassbowl.jpg

Keep up the nice work.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Moose, you might consider selling a few as well. there are websites that sell crappy ones for upwards of 100 dollars. Yours makes them look sad

One thing I might add, While the fishbowl type is cool, they are eventually a nightmare to maintain.

Id suggest going with a shallow dish..that way in the future they can be transplanted easier.

this is what I like to use.

http://www.eventsct.com/wp-content/uploads/rentals/decor/centerpieces/12inshallowglassbowl.jpg

Keep up the nice work.
I don't know if I'd pay a hundred bucks but if you start making more I'd certainly be interested. My Mom loves cactuses and one like this would be a perfect for her.

Not to mention I want one too! ;P

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Awesome, I love the living stones, I use to have cactus, and flowers all over my old house, go to cactus shows and all
then I got in way to many spiders and killed all my cacti :(
same with me..

T's = dead plants. LOL

When I taught Middle School I was able to propagate almost any plant.
My north wall had 12 ft ceilings and was 75% window so it was perfect for growing almost anything.

I was soon overrun with plants, I liked succulents and even got into Bonsai for the last few years.

which reminds me.. MOOSE.. what about room to grow???

CFleming

Arachnopeon
What are the different species you used for this bowl. I really like this and want to make one myself but am a total noob.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never made one myself, but I'm wondering if the bowl's shape (shrinking at the top and covered on all sides) will get in the way of future growth such as crowding. Do take pics after a while of growing so we can see how it turns out.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When did this section start? Has it been here for years?....I never noticed it. Well, I bet that bowl is long gone, unless it was kept very dry. It's just not the right soil, esp for those rock cacti. I've got some plants, I'll take pics later, I like cactus and cycads for some reason, I have some sps I grew from seed that are finally taking off now, ....for cycads. I'm also messing with growing melons in a couple of pots ...anyway, for another thread.