Got Avic's?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by jesses
I just got a new A. Avicularia and mine will not eat yet. Her body is 1.5" with a legspan of 2.5 inches. Not sure what her deal is as I've never owned a tarantula in the genus.

Since we're on the subject, can I get anyone's opinion on keeping more than one Avicularia (either of the same species or of different species in the same genus) in the same enclosure? The last time I put two spiders together, they fought nonstop until I separated them...
Hi Jesses,

I have three ten gallon tanks set up with two female Avicularia avicularia in each. I pass the male from tank to tank, hoping he isn't already spent. As long as there are plenty of hides, such as broad leaved plants, paper towel tubes, sticks, branches, vines, etc. however you want the tank to look, but lots of hiding places, you shouldn't have too much problem. Very important: Keep them well fed or they'll cannabilize. Occasionally you may see a scuffle, but usually they'll just do it for a couple seconds then both run away from eachother. They are amazingly tolerant of eachother in these setups, and I've seen no cannibalization....Yet.

Keep in mind it's always a risk. I wouldn't try placing two separate species together unless you know what sex they are, etc. You could possibly end up inadvertently crossbreeding them, even though you may not have that intention.

So the keys are lots of room, and lots of food!

Best wishes,

Paul

Last edited:

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Keeping T's together communily is always a risk, but certain Avic's are more tolerant to this than others. I have had a couple of A. avic's together for about 11/2 months now and they seem to get along fine. I've heard other avic's like the versicolor are more prone to canniblize. So, not all the avic's would be good to put together. I had a few A. avic slings and I thought I would experiment, so far it has worked out ok.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
personally, i've read that A. avic are the best to keep together, though you should have a large enclosure and lots of room. also, ideally, they should be the same size and obviously kept well-fed. however, apparently some people have successfully done this and simply collect egg sags now and again.

i think that would be an awesome display. :D

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Skadi,
Where did you get the Avic? Did the voices in your head cause you to cave in and finally get one? I figured with all this talk about them, you were about due for one. I think everyone needs at least one Avic.=D

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there is not one freakin pet store in my area that has any type of avicularia at all.

Risto

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i got her at a local Petco...please no one kick my ass. (whimper) she was SOoOO beautiful and sweet and...(sigh)

anyway, she's mostly staying on the walls and ceiling but she's been a bit slow of late. could she be in pre-molt? she hasn't shown any interest in food though when i take her out she's calm and curious and definitely active.

suggestions?

you're just jealous because the voices talk to me. ;P

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avics normally just hang around, but should be eating. Keep an eye on her. By the looks of the pic she could be pre-molt, also she could be getting use to her new home. Good for you Skadi, you got your Avic.=D

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if all else fails, and you don't think pre-moult, try the FOOD ICU :)

peace
dave

no-one will yell at you for buying T's at Petco! in fact, there's a Petco thread on here from maybe 2 months ago. THe one i used to live near was amazing! And they could get me in T.blondi adults for about $150. They can order many many many different kinds of adult T's. I never really bought any T's from them, but... they were really good. I know other Petco's were pretty good.

pce
dave

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an Avic. avic. I've had it for 2 weeks now and it hasn't eaten but it also hasn't died from the fall it took jumping off my back. It appears to be pre-molt.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i bought a pinktoe for my nephew (he's 2 now)...so basically my bro will be taking care of it.

Risto

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, still hasn't eaten, i'm really hoping it's in pre-molt. i've offered crickets, waxworms, whatever...no go. :(

does appear to be moving about the tank though, along the walls if nothing else. always on the walls or ceiling, have never seen her on the spagham moss.

i'm going to flatten it down a bit and see if that helps but first want to see if she's actually in molt so i don't disturb her too much.

btw, should i definitely be expecting her to build a web? if she doesn't, is that okay? :/

oh, and yes, my first avic, but i still don't have my metallica or versicolor yet! ;D

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
those are some fantastic t's! i only have 1 a.avic, but i hope to pick up another couple of subspecies at the expo in orlando in @2 weeks. i hope mine look as good.

Kristin:p

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf

btw, should i definitely be expecting her to build a web? if she doesn't, is that okay? :/

Hi Skadiwolf,

Do you have a plant or any sticks or anything for her to anchor a web from in her enclosure? This will encourage her to web. Sometimes it takes a month or so for certain individuals to settle in and begin webbing.

Best wishes,

Paul

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes actually, sorry i took forever to reply, i don't always check every message thread and i was offline for several days. :/

i have some plastic vines attached around the top so she has shelter since she's arboreal. i have spagham moss substrate, a branch which she can climb, hide under, whatever with, and a shallow water dish for her to drink out of...

i think her pad is pretty swank personally. :)

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Have u tried feeding ur pinktoe with tweezers? My adult is lazy she will basically only eat if the food comes to her or if it is fed to her. she has eaten twice without me feeding her out of about 20 times. Try that if u havent.

TheDon

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf
yes actually, sorry i took forever to reply, i don't always check every message thread and i was offline for several days. :/

i have some plastic vines attached around the top so she has shelter since she's arboreal. i have spagham moss substrate, a branch which she can climb, hide under, whatever with, and a shallow water dish for her to drink out of...

i think her pad is pretty swank personally. :)
That's okay! Same here!

Does she use the plastic vines and/or branch?

Cheers,

Paul

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, actually..no. (Grin) i've never seen her once touch the ground to be honest...lol.

however, she seemes to stay under some of the leaves of the vines, so i think it gives her a sense of security.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
How did I miss this thread..?~:0)

We have 1 A. avic.
At the moment he is in ICU, I am not sure if there is anything wrong with him.:( He/she has had mites 2 times, now it has
a crusty face, but no more mites! I'm really upset, because this is
my favorite T out of our tiny collection. I have a test kit and I
am going to send some samples to Kerry very soon. Maybe the lab can figure out whats wrong, if anything.
I'll have to post a picture later, I do not have one on this computer.