Got Avic's?

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have:
1 A. avicularia
1 A. versicolor

Each is only about 2" so far. The avics are really growing on me, though, and I'm hoping to get more versicolors and some purpureas eventually (you know, when I have more room and money....) :rolleyes:

JOANIE

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
versicolor & metallica

how are these two avics as far as being docile & calm? thanks! :)

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
One baby Avic avic, my versicolor sling was murdered by a cricket :(
Aww, this lil baby is missing a leg ... :(

Dennis

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
Aww, this lil baby is missing a leg ... :(

Dennis
There were about 8 of these living communally when I went to pick it up.

My girlfriend picked it out - the only one with a missing leg.
Typical :rolleyes: =D

Still a little feeding machine though :)

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have:
2 A. versicolor
2 A. purpurea
1 A. aurantiaca
1 A. miniatrix
I have accidentally trained my largest versicolor to attack my tweezers. I usually crush the head of the cricket and then hand it to the T with the tweezers. On Sunday, I discovered that it will attack the tweezers even without the cricket. I picked up the T immediately afterwards which pretty much proves that it knows the difference between hands and tweezers.
Karen N.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
One of my favorite genera although my collection doesn't necessarily reflect that. The current lot is:

1 A. avicularia
1 A. purpurea
1 A. versicolor

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
code monkey- to tell the truth i simply love the avic family too...but yet i don't even own any...an a. avic or a. versi is for sure the T i'm going to get after i by a g. rosea for my little nephew.

Risto

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: versicolor & metallica

Originally posted by skadiwolf
how are these two avics as far as being docile & calm? thanks! :)
Both of these Avic's are doscile, but at times they can be fast, mostly if they are startled. But the Avic is a great species and I would consider the Versicolor or Metallica to be a beginner T, but they are fast.

Thanks everyone for posting about your Avic's, I guess I'm not crazy for them being my fave.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unfortunately, I lost an A. aurantiaca last week. :( It's last molt was a really bad one and left him/her quite messed up--missing 1 leg, 1 spastic leg, and unable to run (could walk but very wobbly). It spent the last 2 or 3 weeks in ICU and I had finally gotten him to eat a prekilled cricket at the beginning of last week... but a few days later I found the little guy all curled up--with that one spazzy leg sticking up. I cried. :(

Anyways, here are the avics I have...

A. avicularia
1 adult female (not a virgin anymore! :})
2 subadult females (virgins, but not for long!!!)
2 mature males (1 from Tim R.)
several spiderlings (3 different bloodlines)
hopefully an eggsac or two, soon!! =D

A. urticans spiderling
A. versicolor spiderling

I'd like a metallica and a few more versicolors, eventually.

kellygirl

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
awwwwwwwwww! oh my god that is so cute. (sniffle)

say, what kind of luck are you guys having with them eating? my slings are being difficult, only my chaco has eaten and that was only one little cricket.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ack! Stop posting your avic pictures! You're gonna make me go out and get one!

Bry

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awwwwwwwwww! oh my god that is so cute. (sniffle)

say, what kind of luck are you guys having with them eating? my slings are being difficult, only my chaco has eaten and that was only one little cricket.
I just got a new A. Avicularia and mine will not eat yet. Her body is 1.5" with a legspan of 2.5 inches. Not sure what her deal is as I've never owned a tarantula in the genus.

Since we're on the subject, can I get anyone's opinion on keeping more than one Avicularia (either of the same species or of different species in the same genus) in the same enclosure? The last time I put two spiders together, they fought nonstop until I separated them...

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
amen bry, preach it my brother!

:eek:

oh yeah, i tried rugbydave's idea about the food ICU, two of my slings ate...YAY! :)

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Currently I keep the following Avicularia species:

Avicularia avicularia

Avicularia versicolor

Avicularia metallica

Avicularia braushauseni

Cheers,

Paul

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Yay! Finally a thread for my favorite tarantulas :)

Currently, I have:
1 1.5" A. avicularia (female)
2 4" A. avicularia (male)
3 4" A. avicularia (female)
1 5" A. metallica (female)
1 2.5" A. versicolor (female)

I will soon be adding A. purpurea and A. minatrix to my list :)

-Bryan

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so tell me guys, how are their temperaments? i've heard that these were 'fast' compared to my G. rosea and my slings. what do you think? how difficult are they to handle?

(i want Ts i can handle, period)

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so tell me guys, how are their temperaments? i've heard that these were 'fast' compared to my G. rosea and my slings. what do you think? how difficult are they to handle?

(i want Ts i can handle, period)
Hey Skadiwolf!

Most avics have a docile temperament and are reticent to bite. They'd rather save their biting for their meals. However, I have heard of people being bitten, just not that many.

they are quite jumpy and can be fast. I don't know how many times I've had an avic leap off of my hand to whatever happens to be nearby, including the floor. It's pretty neat really, they spread their legs out when they jump kind of like a parachute!

I highly recommend most avic species for beginners (not every avic species, just most).

Avicularia versicolor, Avicularia metallica, and Avicularia braushauseni are my favorite avics currently. That may very well change as I acquire more!

As far as handling, as i said they're a little quick, and do jump, but they are easy to handle if you're careful!

Best wishes,

Paul

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i adore my 2" a. avicularia (from mebebraz) and my tiny 1/2" a. versicolor sling (a mother's day present from bryan aka cronoss, and bill).

a side note: i experienced firsthand today what a jumper the a. versi is--while wetting down her vial, she raced up the vial, to the outside, and jumped on my hand. that was freaking amazing...