Got a question about Grammostola color forms

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Suddenly there have been more G. porteri's arriving at LPSs I've noticed. This is the female my mom got recently:
IMG_5336.JPG
IMG_5335.JPG

This is the female I've had since 2008:
IMG_5315.JPG
IMG_5317.JPG

These new ones are lighter colored, and are straight pink on the carapace without any purple. What would we call these @Exoskeleton Invertebrates ? Are they coming from outside Chile?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Suddenly there have been more G. porteri's arriving at LPSs I've noticed. This is the female my mom got recently:
View attachment 233837
View attachment 233839

This is the female I've had since 2008:
View attachment 233840
View attachment 233841

These new ones are lighter colored, and are straight pink on the carapace without any purple. What would we call these @Exoskeleton Invertebrates ? Are they coming from outside Chile?
The specimens on the first two photos are of the Grammostola sp. "Northern Type" - "Northern Gold". Notice that there is a highlight pink coloration on the femurs. Males and females will have this coloration.

Speimens on photo #III and IV is of the Grammostola porteri "Violet Hue". Notice that the femur is a dark black with no highlight blue. Females will have this coloration, not sure about the mature males though.

Grammostola porteri has a pink carapace but with a dark black with highlight blue femurs. Males and females will have this coloration on the porteri.

I'll post photos for you.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Grammostola sp. "Northern Type" - Female
IMG_4729.JPG
Grammostola sp. "Northern Type" - Mature Male
IMG_3863.JPG
Grammostola porteri - Female
IMG_4727.JPG
Grammostola porteri - Mature Male
IMG_3862.JPG
Grammostola porteri "Violet Hue" - Female
IMG_4728.JPG

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome, thanks for the info. They're all quite beautiful. G. porteri + related species are underrated I think.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I've got a problem. Looking at the picture of the male "northern type", I just mated the female above (the violet hue) with a male (supposedly G. porteri), that looks like it's actually a "northern type".
If she produces an eggsac, what should I do? Destroy it? That would be sad, but I know cross breeding is a serious concern.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I've got a problem. Looking at the picture of the male "northern type", I just mated the female above (the violet hue) with a male (supposedly G. porteri), that looks like it's actually a "northern type".
If she produces an eggsac, what should I do? Destroy it? That would be sad, but I know cross breeding is a serious concern.
Do not let her produce a sac keep her completely dry with a water dish of course. She will molt eventually and you won't have that problem anymore. She will not produce a sac unless you decide to keep her in the right conditions for her to produce the sac.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok will do. No babies for her!
I still have the male if anyone needs a MM "northern type".

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pink femurs. Pretty certain he's a "northern type" IMG_5344.JPG

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Sorry to hijack this thread. After seeing these pics I'm not actually sure if my immature male is a porteri or a northern type.

Attachments

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Yes your male is a "Northern Type".
Sorry if this is getting too off topic but I have two that I've had for years (one is actually my first T) that at the time we're labled as rosea but both look completely different and I've always wanted to know exactly what sp. They were. Could I post pics of them here so you can help identify them or just post in the ID section?

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight

Although they're commonly referred to as color forms of the rose hair...they're actually not, they're all different species and should be treated as such.
That's one of the reasons why I've never bothered to breed them is because there's a few different species out there all labled as roseas and I don't want to risk any type of hybridization

Last edited: