Got a New T! Help figure out what kind it is?

bradk

Arachnopeon

When my Goliath died during molt ealier this week I wanted to get a new T that was a little more forgiving. Anyhow, I got this one at my local pet shop. It was labelled: Chaco Giant Mustard. It is pretty big. I would say at least 6". Looks very healthy too. Anyhow, I can't find any info it.

Anyone have any info on this guy? Habitat? etc? I would appreciate anything.

Brad

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Looks to me like a Grammostola aureostriata, and the commonname fits that.

It is a dry tolerant terrestrial species, but give it the oppurtunity to hide or burrow. Keep a water dish in there, no other humidity is needed.

if you can get a pic of its underside maybe we can sex it for you.

Good luck,

-V

bradk

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the quick reply. Before I pick it up to turn over, is this a docile species? Will it accept handling? Being that is so large (6") would you assume it is fully mature?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi. Yep, loks like a G. aureostriata alright. On average, they are considered quite docile. Keep in mind though that there are always exceptions.
AT 6" it is likely mature but still may grow a bit. They are known to get quite large for a Grammostola.
Good choice! :) Good luck with your new T.

Atrax

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I would also concur....they are known for being docile, but there are exceptions. They also can get quite large, although I personally haven't seen one at 8", I've heard it happens.
Very nice tarantula!

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, we have one that size also. Needless to say, she would rather bite you than to look at you. She isn't docile at all. I would test your spider before you try to pick her up to make sure she won't bite. Pam

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
I would also concur....they are known for being docile, but there are exceptions. They also can get quite large, although I personally haven't seen one at 8", I've heard it happens.
Very nice tarantula!
My mature male is a close runner up for the 8" mark. I haven't taken a precise measurement but to be modest, he's a very healthy 7"+.

I gotta get a pic of him up I guess, huh? ;)

Atrax

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Brad!
Wow! Fantastic choice! Those are the coolest t's! Only rivaled by Brazilian Blacks. Nice choice! I have a juvie male, and will be getting a female..
Peace,
Gillian

bradk

Arachnopeon
What is the best way to go about finding out if it is docil or not? I have stroked it's abdoman and legs and it hardly reacts. Infact, it almost pushes up against my finger the way cats have. I am a bit scared at picking it up.

Are there any other tests that can safely be done to see how friendly he/she is?

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they reach 8 inches easily...

All three of my adult females are right at if not above the 8 inch mark and are as docile as can be. I've heard of a few incidents where people have had one rear up at them but I have never seen any behavior other than completely docile from mine. The likelyhood that you'll get bitten by it is slim as the supposedly non docile ones out there are far outnumbered by the calm ones.

And no I'm not implying that anyone is making anything up I just feel that perhaprs a healthy feeding response from a large spider is sometimes being confused with aggression much like the speed of a poke can lead people to believe it's trying to get them.
That said I will admit that any T of any species is quite capable of biting so caution should of course be used.

Phil

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by bradk
What is the best way to go about finding out if it is docil or not? I have stroked it's abdoman and legs and it hardly reacts. Infact, it almost pushes up against my finger the way cats have. I am a bit scared at picking it up.

Are there any other tests that can safely be done to see how friendly he/she is?
Sounds like you've done the proverbial "ass test": touch its ass with pen, and if it doesn't turn to face you, or rear up, then it can be assumed to be handleable. This also works in bars.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tranz
Sounds like you've done the proverbial "ass test": touch its ass with pen, and if it doesn't turn to face you, or rear up, then it can be assumed to be handleable. This also works in bars.
bwahhahahahahahaha!!
Peace,
Gillian