got a killer V. spinigerus on my hands here...

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats pretty cool, I Put my scorps in a communal setup if I can, but I try not to now because if ONE thing kills ONE scorpion in a communal setup, then they are gone unless you get them out quick. Nice scorpion though man. You should start a bug fighting ring, if people got mad about cricket fighting think of how this would go over (kidding).

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply and info JSN. Mark, I think you have a good point. Maybe communial is the wrong term to use. Maybe tolerant is more accurate?

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a container with plenty of hides and a constant food supply. It used to house 5 2nd instar V. spinigerus, it now has 1 3rd instar V. spinigerus.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
although I have found V. spinigerus together in the same hides in the wild, I wouldn't call them a strictly 'communal' species, they are just one of those tolerant species that generally speaking will not kill one another, although there are usually fights to establish dominence, lots of caudal clubbing, etc. but once that is worked out usually they do well together...

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have never found more than one of this species at a time, I do not believe they are communal in any way.

polphot

Arachnopeon
Are they really communal?...ie., are they communal in the wild? Or is this a captive situation imposed on them that they tolerate reasonably well?
Im dumbfounded by your question mark, i can only agree to you more on that they may be communal in sense that it is the captive living condition we have imposed on them and they may be so well tolerable towards each other. I can see no reason in the wild where they benefit living communally. I've observed that by keeping them together they tend to bully each other when one catches a cricket they rush towards him and try to take over the catch. Unless the Arizona people here confirm they are so.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im dumbfounded by your question mark, i can only agree to you more on that they may be communal in sense that it is the captive living condition we have imposed on them and they may be so well tolerable towards each other. I can see no reason in the wild where they benefit living communally. I've observed that by keeping them together they tend to bully each other when one catches a cricket they rush towards him and try to take over the catch. Unless the Arizona people here confirm they are so.
I have found some sharing the same retreat, especially younger instars, like you said I doubt they benefit from it, but they are definitely a very tolerant species overall...like I said after dominence has been established usually bullying will occur, but overall I'd put V. spinigerus in the category of "tolerant/they get along" category, with exceptions, which there are going to be even in the most communal setups...

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmm sounds like you got the scorpion king.. breed him... And make his children.. strong...like bull!!!