Got a jumping spider right now.. need help from u guys =)

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as the title said.. summer is gettin near and i just found one on the wall.. its very small, probably a new born.. anyways i used to breed many type of insects but im new to jumping spiders so i require ur help :D... well first of all i placed him in one of those nutella jars and closed the opening with a piece of anti mosquito net (ok i dunno how u call that in english) and a rubber band around it to close it.. so now i was thinking to place inside some sticks for him to hang around...then i guess i need to spray once in a while some water just to give him some humidity (even if there's none outside.. im live in italy)... hmm then off to the food: i have a garden so i can go out and find something suitable for him, but he is kinda small and might be hard to find something..so i should breed fruit flies but i need help on that too :( . is it enough to just place some fruit outside?.. and one last thing.. how should i feed him daily? once a day? twice? less?... ty for ur help :D im new to arachnids

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
as the title said.. summer is gettin near and i just found one on the wall.. its very small, probably a new born.. anyways i used to breed many type of insects but im new to jumping spiders so i require ur help :D... well first of all i placed him in one of those nutella jars and closed the opening with a piece of anti mosquito net (ok i dunno how u call that in english) and a rubber band around it to close it.. so now i was thinking to place inside some sticks for him to hang around...then i guess i need to spray once in a while some water just to give him some humidity (even if there's none outside.. im live in italy)... hmm then off to the food: i have a garden so i can go out and find something suitable for him, but he is kinda small and might be hard to find something..so i should breed fruit flies but i need help on that too :( . is it enough to just place some fruit outside?.. and one last thing.. how should i feed him daily? once a day? twice? less?... ty for ur help :D im new to arachnids

what kind of JS and how big? the little ones i get are a max body size of 1/4". they seem to not have much of a problem with bigger size prey. i would say anything that is their body size or smaller would be alright. and if they are eating healthy, maybe even a little bigger than them:D so, type of food doesn't really seem to matter either (as long as it's not something totally stupid that he/she can't eat!!) and i would say feed about 1-2 times per week. but the big thing is just to watch the abdomen and see when it starts to get a little smaller again. post a pic if you have it...

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dont really know the type but his body lenght is around 4mm, he is brown and has white hair on his pedipalps.. yesterdayi found a bug (hemiptera) just slighty bigger than him but he didnt eat it.. he just looked at it and ignored him.. now i've put inside 2 psocoptera that should do for him.. so only 2 times a week? i thought more:D...anyways dont have an appropriate camera so the pics would suck :(.. btw does he need humidity? ty for ur reply :)

Edit: btw one question that could seem stupid.. i keep him next to my computer and i always have music on.. can this damage him in anyway? lol

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
sorry, still don't know what type he/she/it is just by the coloration. try doing google searches if you already haven't. oh, and the computer question isn't stupid. it shouldn't matter a bit, but just watch it. if you are still worried then just try to find another place for it. well, if he/she/it didn't eat the bug you put in there for it then maybe there's a couple of reasons: 1) it just wasn't hungry :D which probably is the case 2) it might be just a kind that that type of JS doesn't like (sometimes mine will be picky and will not like a certain type of prey item) so in that case just try something else 3) it might be coming up on a molt and is refusing food, in which case you should take it out after about an hour or so. theres probably more reasons, but those seem most probable. just make sure it has water available and watch it's abdomen to make sure it doesn't get too small. and twice a week should be plenty, maybe three if you really want. it's not like they will over eat. any other q's???

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ahh ty ur the only one helping me... anyways.. he tried to catch one of the 2 psocoptera but it just flew away.. later on i found one dead but im not sure if it had been eaten or not although the prey's abomen was dissappeared :p... anyways.. ive tried givin him an ant smaller than his size but he just didnt eat it.. i tried givin him an aphid and was scared lol.. so in these 2 days im not sure if he actually ate something.. his abdomen is as big as his head.. looks normal..i sprayed some water inside today... and im trying to breed drosphila (i placed some fruit in a jar..)... anyways i didnt understand the part about the molt.. what should i take out after one hour?.... for the rest ty for the clear answer ur the only one helpin me :d so thx alot...ill try to find a picture of it.. i've got loads of jumper pics... and ill try to take a pic...thx again

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
hahaha! you're welcome!! oh, and i've found that JS usually don't like ants. ants are just dumb and maybe not worth their effort or something...:D if his abdomen looks good, then cool, don't worry if it's not eating right now. good job with the water. water is always good. in general, if a spider is about to molt, they have a tendency to stress out if something is bugging them (pardon the pun). and if the spider molts, it is still very soft and extremely vulnerable and stands a chance of the other bugs in the cage injuring it somehow or even killing it. so, if a spider refuses to eat something, take it out after a few hours just so it doesn't stress the spider out. just imagine being locked in a tiny little cage with an annoying little sibling. all you want is for them to go away and leave you alone. get the picture?? {D anyway, where do you live? might help with an ID.

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i live in rome italy... i cna give u some more detail.. i watched him closely today... his pedipals are yellowish/white..body is brown but he has a large light brown mark that covers almost his abdomen (seen from above).. looks like a diamond... his first 2 pair of legs are dark.. almost black. however the third and fourth pair of legs have yellowish stripes making them black and yellowish..... im lookin now for an ID on this french website
http://saitis.club.fr/montardi/salticidae/sc_tool/sc_tool_frame.html
.. maybe u know some better website? tyfor help again :D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
hey tarantula hawk, maybe this is a website that could get you started... it has a list of every recorded spider found in the Sicily/Italy area. don't know if it will help much since it has no pics, but it has a list that you can start looking under...
http://wwwold.unict.it/dipartimenti/biologia_animale/webnatur/araneidi.htm
just post if you have any other q's:)

oh yeah, make sure you start with the salticids, even though they have an ungodly amount of species listed!!

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live here in New Hampshire, USA. I to founds a baby wolf spider. I placed it into a 64 oz. jar with twigs to climb on. I fed it the larger fruitfly, D. hydea. Within seconds it grabbed one and started eating. I culture 2 species of flightless fruit flies for my own use and for sale. I figured I might as well have something to eat them. :rolleyes:

My question is I would like to ID it. Does anyone know of a good startig point to start looking for the ID? Does anyone know what genus is common here in NH?

Thanks a million,

Tom

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
well tom, try putting a pic here up on AB, there's lots of people who are pretty good. also, bugguide and whatsthatbug are pretty good sites. there are also other bug id sites but i can't remember what they are right now. try starting a thread and posting a pic.

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmmm i found that website too but its hard cause i dont even know what genre is he :(... btw today i tried feeding him with an aphid but he just ignored it.. i guess i'll wait and see if he will molt otherwise i'll just let him free.. dont want to make him die:(

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yeah, that might be a good idea. what kind of setup do you have him/her in? is it big? in the sun? anything? and sorry the website didn't help...:8o

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well u know those nutella jars? lol.. well he's in one of them.. 13.5 cm tall and 10cm wide.. hes 6mm including body lenght so i thought it would do well for him.. ive placed many sticks inside on which he jumps and all... sun hmm he doesnt get much sun where i placed him.. u think that might be one major factor?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
well u know those nutella jars? lol.. well he's in one of them.. 13.5 cm tall and 10cm wide.. hes 6mm including body lenght so i thought it would do well for him.. ive placed many sticks inside on which he jumps and all... sun hmm he doesnt get much sun where i placed him.. u think that might be one major factor?
eh, maybe about half and half sun, as long as he/she can hide from the sun somewhere. i know some JS need sunlight, they seem to hang out in the sun anyway... sounds like a big enough cage too by the way.

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i freed the jumper.. didnt want him to die because of me.. so i freed him this morning..hopefully i'll find another larger and easier to breed jumper :)... thx widowman for all the help =)