Gooty Sapphire Ornamental Price Prediction

How much will .5 inch gooty slings cost in June 2005?

• Over $300

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Over $200

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Over $100

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Under $100

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No question, P. metallica are gorgeous Ts, and demand is greater than supply. Predict how much a 1/2 inch gooty ornamental sling will be selling for next summer. June 2005.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alot of people are going to try to breed them and that would bring the price down a bit. But I don't think that many people will be successful. For the first year or two anyway. In 2007 the price will probably be lower by then.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I voted with my head...should have voted with my heart though. I still think it will be over $300. HOPING it will be closer to $150.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Swift's is offering them right now at 3/4" for $295. Maybe he is selling excess slings, as it says he has a breeding pair and stay tuned... I think the price has to go down, but down from that initial $450 that they started at - there's a lot of room to come down, and still be whoppingly expensive!

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What do they look like? I cant imagine anything beating the neauty of a P. metallica. Unless it was as docile as an avic perhaps and looked like the metallica...

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
What do they look like? I cant imagine anything beating the neauty of a P. metallica. Unless it was as docile as an avic perhaps and looked like the metallica...
The Gooty Sapphire Ornamental blah blah IS a P metallica.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
Scientific name, Poecilotheria metallica sometimes goes by the common name Gooty Sapphire Ornamental. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm one of the few that think the price will be under $100 by June 2005. I think the market for pokies is limited to advanced and intermediate keepers. Gooties are even more limited to the more serious keepers with dollars to spend. Once this niche has secured their breeding pairs, more casual keepers might be buyers at under $100. Before June, I think supply might catch up to demand.

Another interesting poll would be how many T collectors don't have pokies in their collection...and don't plan to in the near future.

These collectors might be content with $17 Avicularia versicolor slings, that don't require the same handling skills as a pokie. JMO.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I figure prices are in many places under $300 now and I'd guess $225-275 by summer (baring disasters among several breeders).
Rev

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd be very surprised to see them drop below $200 each. Take for example P. subfusca. I think the going rate for one of those is around $200. Also, look at P. miranda, another one around $200. I don't think P. metallica will sell below the going rate for those species.
Ralph

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok now it makes sense...
P. metallica is probibaly more for "medium to expirenced keepers" handiling skills? IMO the skill seriously depends on the keepers comfortability level with the species. I.E. I am not Comfortable handiling my H. Lividium, i rather fear thet demon. My T. blondi i hope to be able to at least let out in a confined space for a nice photo shoot someday.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Professor T said:
Another interesting poll would be how many T collectors don't have pokies in their collection...and don't plan to in the near future.
I don't have any pokies, and don't really want any other than the P. metallica. That said, I won't go out of my way for one, or break my bank ;)

Hope that quells some of your curiosity for your poll :)

-Bryan

Elson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well...p.metallica is too expensive.. if anything goes wrong , the money u've spent on the T will just gone...know what i mean right? so i think the price should be under 100 :)

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feel that seeing it has already started to drop to right around the $300 mark that it will keep going down slowly until it settles down to around the same going price as the subfusca and miranda, if that will be by June of 2005? Greg

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have P regalis, ornata and rufilata which I really like but I doubt I ever get deep enuff for metallica, subfusca etc. but you never know. :}

CreepyExotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they will be down around 150-200 they wont go much lower.. i have 10 right now and i got mine pretty cheap but i dont think they will go too much lower .. lower yes but not low .... :D :D

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Seems like the major limiting factor would be money and how much of it you have to burn. Regardless of my level of keeping skill I'd be concerned I'd blow 200 bucks on a sling that might Up and Die.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
rknralf said:
I'd be very surprised to see them drop below $200 each. Take for example P. subfusca. I think the going rate for one of those is around $200. Also, look at P. miranda, another one around $200. I don't think P. metallica will sell below the going rate for those species.
Ralph
The going rate now for subfusca, the going rate was half that when I got mine. Your assuming subusca and miranda prices are going to hold steady for the next two years...We're not even going to factor in popularity here, I mean given $200 for miranda or metallica what are people going to choose?
Besides things fluctuate, I mean if 3 people produce metallica in the US, the price will drop more. No one gets any babies? Price will stay the same or possibly rise....

In general-
And isnt this poll about where you think the price will be, not where you WANT it to be, cause then I'd like $35 please ;)
All in all, they are in enough demand that the price won't go below (in my opinion) $100 for at least a couple years (retail ;) )
So $100-$200 till june 2006 at least :)
T

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hendrik did post some info on the relative difficulty of breeding metallica versus other species. IIRC, he said that metallica wasn't as difficult as subfusca, more on par with miranda. I can't see metallica going below miranda in price but I wouldn't be surprised to see subfusca eventually becoming the most expensive pokie. All of this is pure speculation; we'll just have to watch the results of breeding attempts.

Karen N.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
It's my understanding that the babies just coming in, are from the same mother as the first batch. Good job eh?
T

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It seems a little wild to expect a crops of babies to mature and breed at such a fast rate. Also Pokies are not very easy to breed, and only serious breeders who have the time and money to put into getting the conditions right to produce offspring will. So I would not expect the price to drop below $150 for some years to come.

Sincerely,

Brandon