Gooty Sapphire (FINALLY!!)

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Id agree with @Jason B about the Tappy or Psalm first.

i started to think i might be able to handle a pokie, ordered a P. Irminia instead and was introduced to a level of defensive speed i hadn't even seen before.
even my OBT was not as defensive as when i first got and first rehoused the Irminia. granted now its really calmed down a LOT but it was a good little glimpse into just how past some Arboreals can be.

cold blood

Staff member
Another thing is these tend to not be a very visible species, sometimes you get lucky like me and your P. Metallic spends its days right next to its hide more often you have a pet piece of cork.
Most pokies are, in fact, quite visible most of the time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That enclosure kinda looks like an armac box sitting upside down, you could prolly just buy one and drill some holes and save yourself some money. But if they are armac boxes, you should be able to flip its so it top opens. I'd just go deli.

I just want to reiterate what has been said about experience and pokies. I also got my first pokie thinking I was ready and I wasn't. I would consider getting something like psalm or tap and get some experience with a fast arboreal before you move into pokies. As has been stated before when P. Metallica decide to move they teleport and they are very skittish. Another thing is these tend to not be a very visible species, sometimes you get lucky like me and your P. Metallic spends its days right next to its hide more often you have a pet piece of cork.

That's very true on Ts being out or not. We see all these gorgeous pics of all Ts, and we often casually assume they are out. But when you ask people about species X, they say, "oh I was lucky to get that shot"

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Most pokies are, in fact, quite visible most of the time.
Thats what I've always experienced with most of my Pokies as well, but I've also heard stories of the P. Met that isn't seen very often. Its always kinda comes down to the individual T, I just feel this species has a higher potential to be more reclusive then other pokies.

I did have a P. Regalis I was lucky to see once in a two month period that sat right next to one I seen atleast once a day.

cold blood

Staff member
Thats what I've always experienced with most of my Pokies as well, but I've also heard stories of the P. Met that isn't seen very often. Its always kinda comes down to the individual T, I just feel this species has a higher potential to be more reclusive then other pokies.

I did have a P. Regalis I was lucky to see once in a two month period that sat right next to one I seen atleast once a day.
yep, ive heard that about mets...my point was that most others arent so reclusive.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Expect extremely skittish spiderlings
The few ive had were exceptionally skittish and reclusive for poeci. Also, a lot more photo sensitive. They ran from my flash light almost every time.
I have a 2+" confirmed female on the way so hopefully she'll be a bit more relaxed than a smaller sling

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
Hi, thanks for all this information! In the end, I decided against a P.Metallica. Just for clarification, at work I take care of all the adult pokies, I've basically grown up with big spiders. I chose to get a 2" P. Regalis, as my boss decided she'd be best. I have experience with pokies overall, but for my first I wanted something simpler. Also the little cutie has already taken a super, which I didn't even mean to feed to it

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Poecs are great! I see a lot of good advice already just thought I'd show a pic of one of my poec enclosures very cheap and works great for slings/juvies

Attachments

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
Well, much to my surprise, I received a P.Metallica sling for my birthday. I got the nicest sling from work, as a surprise from my boss. Only an inch long so def too early to sex, but massive fingers crossed for female. Here's Jasmine!

Attachments

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Well, much to my surprise, I received a P.Metallica sling for my birthday. I got the nicest sling from work, as a surprise from my boss. Only an inch long so def too early to sex, but massive fingers crossed for female. Here's Jasmine!
So now instead of having 1 OW to deal with you have 2, hope you're s experienced with the genus as you said, my P.Met is always out and doesn't really get skittish at all, never been photo sensitive, mines must be the exception though as most are skittish and light sensitive, finally enjoy your new arachnids and be safe.......

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
@mconnachan lol don't worry. I've grown up with parents who keep pokies, and my work has allowed me to care for plenty of OW's. I'm just starting a personal collection, but I have a good amount of experience. I can guarantee that this wasn't an impulse purchase, I have done thorough research. Plus my boss has me work with the meanest obt's I've ever met, so my guard is always up lol

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@mconnachan lol don't worry. I've grown up with parents who keep pokies, and my work has allowed me to care for plenty of OW's. I'm just starting a personal collection, but I have a good amount of experience. I can guarantee that this wasn't an impulse purchase, I have done thorough research. Plus my boss has me work with the meanest obt's I've ever met, so my guard is always up lol
If that doesn't prepare you, I don't know what does :)
It can however be nice to get some theory behind your practice, a little reading has never hurt anyone. :)
Edit: @EmilzHernandez , it would have saved a lot of members their posts about worries for jumping in head first into this species if you mentioned this in your first post ;)