Gooty enclosures

Balasingham

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I'm looking for suggestions on the best enclosure for my gooty, I feel he/she is getting abit big for hers now. I've had her from a sling and she's currently in a 15x15x20 (cm).
What do you advise height wise when they are fully grown?
Thanks in advance for any "good" advice 😊

Last edited:

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I have kept adult Poecilotheria in 20x20x30 (wxdxh) and also 20x20x40 without any issues. At one time I think I had 30x30x45* also but needed the space for more Ts. LOL

*Most pokies are light sensitive anyway so if you have bigger tanks, it is best to fill the enclosure with lots of hiding space and shelter otherwise it will just be 'dead space' as the spider is unlikely to venture out much anyway.

Thats my personal experience, I am sure others will have their own thoughts.

Hope that helps

Balasingham

Arachnopeon
I have kept adult Poecilotheria in 20x20x30 (wxdxh) and also 20x20x40 without any issues. At one time I think I had 30x30x45* also but needed the space for more Ts. LOL

*Most pokies are light sensitive anyway so if you have bigger tanks, it is best to fill the enclosure with lots of hiding space and shelter otherwise it will just be 'dead space' as the spider is unlikely to venture out much anyway.

Thats my personal experience, I am sure others will have their own thoughts.

Hope that helps
That's good advice! Thankyou. Can I ask where you got those size enclosures from because the tallest I can find is 30cm.
I think the 20×20×40 is a good size.

Thanks 😊

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
That's good advice! Thankyou. Can I ask where you got those size enclosures from because the tallest I can find is 30cm.
I think the 20×20×40 is a good size.

Thanks 😊
That was a glass viv. Usually have to try and find a custom viv maker and see if they have that size. The others were standard exo terra

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
20x20x30cm is ok for an adult. Some people prefer 30x30x45cm. I keep mine in an 8x8x12 Exo Terra (20x20x30cm). I order them (Exo Terra) from Amazon or Petco. Not sure where to get them in Wales, but @The Grym Reaper may be able to help with where to get UK enclosures.

Now when you rehouse your P. metallica, you have a cage for another new spider :)

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I am in the UK and Exo are easy to get new or in the second hand market so there will be no issue getting them. 👍

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
I have my adult versi in those too (assuming you mean the 20x20x30)
I have the 30x30x45 in my basket, but just as a reminder for later...gonna be a couple of years before I get to that size. Is the 20x20x30 really big enough...doesn't feel like it would be

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I kept mine in a 25x25x28cm plastic pantry tub. Plenty of places to pick up enclosures in the UK, some vendors sell stuff like exo terras (though at a mark-up), various online reptile shops generally have various brands of glass/acrylic enclosure in stock, The Spider Shop sometimes have cheaper glass enclosures for sale (Tropical Factory used to do better glass enclosures but I don't think they ship them anymore, their FB mentions a brick & mortar shop you can get them from IIRC).

Plastic Box Shop is great if you want cheaper enclosures that still look pretty decent, search the hobbylife range, they have equivalents for a lot of typical enclosure sizes (e.g. faunariums).

I have my adult versi in those too (assuming you mean the 20x20x30)
That's the nano tall, mini tall is 30x30x45

Is the 20x20x30 really big enough
It's fine for anything around 6 inches and under IME, I've been keeping adult Aviculariinae/Psalmopoeinae in that size enclosure for years without issue. You don't need a mini tall for anything under 7 inches.