Goodbye to a really amazing dog

MantisGirl

Arachnosquire
At 12:38AM on Christmas Day, I said goodbye to one of the best dogs in the world. His name was Max.

We noticed something was wrong earlier in the night, and looked up the symptoms. He was retching but nothing was coming up, he seemed to be in pain, his stomach was bloated... We found the possibility that it could be GDV, where the stomach twists.

We made an emergency call to the vet and rushed him up there. They did an did an x-ray, and found that it was indeed GDV. There was the option of surgery, but there would only be a fifty percent chance of success, and in an old dog it was even less likely. Max was twelve. We opted to have him put to sleep.

He died with his whole pack there.

Ours from September 2012 to Christmas Day 2019. We were his fourth home, and the only ones who kept him more than a few months. He spent a long time as a shelter dog before we got him.

We bury him today.

Goodbye, Max. IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0062.JPG

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
At 12:38AM on Christmas Day, I said goodbye to one of the best dogs in the world. His name was Max.

We noticed something was wrong earlier in the night, and looked up the symptoms. He was retching but nothing was coming up, he seemed to be in pain, his stomach was bloated... We found the possibility that it could be GDV, where the stomach twists.

We made an emergency call to the vet and rushed him up there. They did an did an x-ray, and found that it was indeed GDV. There was the option of surgery, but there would only be a fifty percent chance of success, and in an old dog it was even less likely. Max was twelve. We opted to have him put to sleep.

Ours from September 2012 to Christmas Day 2019. We were his fourth home, and the only ones who kept him more than a few months. He spent a long time as a shelter dog before we got him.

We bury him today.

Goodbye, Max. View attachment 329427 View attachment 329428
So sorry for your loss, losing a beloved pet is beyond rough. Lost my shih tzu of twelve years in October of last year (raised from a 3 month old puppy). It will take a while to cope with the loss (although you never really cope obviously).

MantisGirl

Arachnosquire
So sorry for your loss, losing a beloved pet is beyond rough. Lost my shih tzu of twelve years in October of last year (raised from a 3 month old puppy). It will take a while to cope with the loss (although you never really cope obviously).
Thank you.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

We bury him today.

Goodbye, Max. View attachment 329427 View attachment 329428
I know what you are feeling -- the only time I ever took a day off work was the day after I lost my dog.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
So so sorry for your loss. He was beautiful. I'm so glad he knew real love before he passed. I'm sure he was thankful every day for you rescuing him.

richard buss

Arachnopeon
they surly take a piece of our hearts when they go.....................a friend of mine, who is like a modern day philosopher says, "all the dogs we have ever loved are waiting for us in heaven"...................works for me. you did a good thing

MantisGirl

Arachnosquire
they surly take a piece of our hearts when they go.....................a friend of mine, who is like a modern day philosopher says, "all the dogs we have ever loved are waiting for us in heaven"...................works for me. you did a good thing
I really hope they'll be waiting for me. Hoping that it isn't the last time I see him kinda helps.