Goodbye to 3 and Hello to 1

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, my tarantula collection is becoming smaller. I recently lost one my A. urticans to sugar ants. And my Anphonopelma sp. New Mexican Blonde s'ling dashed out of his vial and onto the carpet the other day. Hes almost microscopic and the color of my carpet. I'm not too hopeful that I will find him again.

Today, I went to the local exotic pet store and traded in my B. angustum, B. vagans, and H. aureopilosum in for a "Mexican Redleg". That is B. emilia. I kind of thought that the spider looked like a B. smithi sling, so I asked the sales woman what the scientific name was, and she said that she thought that it was B. smithi. I was looking through some pics tonight, and am actually split between B. smithi and B. auratum (strong leaning towards smithi).

Here are a couple of pics. What do you think?

Thanks

Jon

Oh, and here is my current list of species that I have/want to have:

Tarantulas That I Have
Acanthoscurria geniculata - Striker
Brachypelma smithi? - unnamed
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Slayer
Cyclosternum fasciatum - Bandito

Tarantulas That I Want
Acanthoscurria juruenicola
Avicularia minitrix
Avicularia sp. as seen at: http://birdspiders.com/archive/3/2001.htm
Avicularia versicolor
Brachypelma boehmei
Lasiodora cristatus
Lasiadora parahybana
Megaphobema mesomelas

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OOPS! I'm really gettin' good at forgetting the pics!

Here:

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1 more:

It should be molting rather soon. So the pattern should be brighter, and I should be a little bit more sure that it is a smithi.

Last edited:

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
how big is it?

I have a smithi sling that is about an inch and a half...and if (notice the IF) i figure out how to use my "birthday present to myself "camera I will post its picture and you can compare. Right now mine has sealed himself into his burrow/tube so its hard to see it, but I think that it was much lighter than yours.

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a B.smithi in pre-molt to me.

Bryan

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, looks like smithi. Gonna molt any time now too based on how dark and shiny the abdomen is. :)

Atrax

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say it's a B. smithi also, after the molt check on the black triangle on the cephalothorax, it should cover the eves and point backwards in a B. emilia. Your list of wants is a good selection of interesting T's. Sorry to hear about your losses. My next few T's are going to be L. cristatus, E. murinus, H. maculata, and M. robustum. Let me know if you find any of the Ts on your list.

Andy

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's a cutey either way. Congrates and I hope her molt goes smooth.
:)