Good water for my Ts

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
5
I have 4 Ts and rare goldfish so I do watter changes in the fish tank. When I do water changes i ad this stuff called aqua safe to the water. It takes the chlorine, iron, and all the other stuff that are harmfull to the fish out. My question is, Is this water safe for my Ts to drink ?
 

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Messages
194
I'd just use tap water for the T before I used that.
 

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jul 31, 2010
Messages
287
Boil the water, as soon as it reached a rolling boil its good for the spider (provided you cool it way down first)
 

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
142
What water to use ?

I live out in the country and get my water from a well, which means I use a water softner. I did not think these chemicals would help my T's so I use bottled purified spring water, no problems to date. Kevin
 

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
5
Ive been using bottled water ever since i got my 1st T a year ago and they are all very very beautifull. so ill keep doin the same. thanks every 1
 

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Messages
1,659
We use plain old tap water and have seen no problems other than hard water stains. Bottled water is more often than not municipal water too, so it is just more expensive for the same old thing. That aquarium should be just fine, but it is more expensive, so it is just up to your personal preference what water you use. I see no gain from boiling it either.
 

Frostbite

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Messages
48
My tap water is heavily chlorinated and very hard. I have to soften it so we can use it in the house. I used to use the water from a faucet that wasn't softened and then let it sit 24 hours as that was supposed to let the chlorine dissipate. Bottom line is that I found it easier to use bottled water. Doing it this way for several years.

Does anyone know for sure if chlorinated water is hazerdous for spiders?? I don't think I ever read one way or the other.
 

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Messages
1,659
My tap water is heavily chlorinated and very hard. I have to soften it so we can use it in the house. I used to use the water from a faucet that wasn't softened and then let it sit 24 hours as that was supposed to let the chlorine dissipate. Bottom line is that I found it easier to use bottled water. Doing it this way for several years.

Does anyone know for sure if chlorinated water is hazerdous for spiders?? I don't think I ever read one way or the other.
Letting the water sit just turns the chlorine to chloramine I do believe.(tired and sick, correct me if I am wrong)

There is no scientific information, but if you ask on the boards a large number of us use plain tap water with no problems. It makes some sense that chlorine in the water would harm the T, but we have seen no evidence of that.
 

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
271
I live in a small town, and sometimes we get letters to notify us that the town's water has failed it's inspection. They say it 'shouldn't be harmful, but you can boil it just to be safe.'

I use bottled water for my Ts. :p
 

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Joined
Jul 31, 2010
Messages
287
Does anyone know for sure if chlorinated water is hazerdous for spiders?? I don't think I ever read one way or the other.

Yes it is, just boil it chlorine evaporates really quickly at high temperatures, about 2 minutes of a rolling boil is enough to get most of the chlorine out. It will also cause the flouride and some other chemicals to evaporate as well as killing bacteria (no promises on viruses, but that should be killed in the pipes by the chlorine)

If you don't feel like boiling, put it in a clear container no lid, and in the sun for a day or two and that will cause chemicals to evaporate too
 

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
186
Letting the water sit just turns the chlorine to chloramine I do believe.(tired and sick, correct me if I am wrong)
Chlorine and Chloramine are different. Chlorine evaporates from water fairly quickly. Chloramine not so much.

back on topic. letting chlorine evaporate out of water is a good thing. otherwise as has been stated most bottled water is actually just tap water. spring water and the like can also be lacking in a lot of minerals and other good things. I've used nothing but tap water for many many years without a single issue. there ya go, one more point of view.
 

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
316
Chlorine and Chloramine are different. Chlorine evaporates from water fairly quickly. Chloramine not so much.
Correct...chlorine will almost completely evaporate out of water in an open container in 16 hours or so at room temp....more quickly if the water is agitated.

However, most major cities in North America now use chloramine in their tap water...chloramine remains in water as much as 2 weeks.

I used bottled or filtered water for everything, Ts included.
 

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
338
I would have thought that the chlorine and chloramine would be harmful to the T's. I've been using tap water treated with Amquel since I started keeping T's, with no ill effects either.
 

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2009
Messages
460
While I use bottled water myself, the big 5g jugs for water dispensers, from Sam's Club (read: Wally-World) there has been studies that many common bottled water products are not really "spring" or "mountain" or all the special monikers they give them but rather tap water.

Also the federal regulations for bottled water for consumption are far, FAR less than municipal water sources (ie: tap water). While I've always been concerned about chlorine and other chemicals in our tap water I've never really used it but early on I did with chemicals to treat the water. Even then I was worried more about those "treatment" chemicals than what could be in the water.

Main point here that use of "bottled water" may be no better or even far worse than your municipal water source.

[Edit]

To clarify this is for US states and does not cover other countries...

Some sources:
Regulations of Bottled Water
http://www.hhs.gov/asl/testify/2009/07/t20090708a.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottled_water
According to a 1999 NRDC study, in which roughly 22 percent of brands were tested, at least one sample contained chemical contaminants at levels above strict state health limits. Some of the contaminants found in the study could pose health risks if consumed over a long period of time.[10] However, the NRDC report conceded that "[m]ost waters contained no detectable bacteria, and the levels of synthetic organic chemicals and inorganic chemicals of concern for which were tested were either below detection limits or well below all applicable standards."[11] Meanwhile, a report by the Drinking Water Research Foundation found that of all samples tested by NRDC, "federal FDA or EPA limits were allegedly exceeded only four times, twice for total coliforms and twice for fluorides."[12]
 
Last edited:

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
5
The aquasafe stuff that im talking aboot removes all the stuff you guys are talking about instantly, no boilling or waitting 24 hours. it pretty much turns it into nothing but just water. Maybe this is something we should all start using for our Ts ? Who wants to be the 1 to fully research this. I do have a $200 gold fish in my tank and i am very hesitant at what i put in it. even new stuff i buy from fish stores i boill fist as with my Ts.
 
Top