Good use for a dying millipede..bewarned millilovers!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A little snack for given me another sac! She is one of my line starters ...im trying to get started. :rolleyes: :Rockon:

Suppose there is a chance that the millis defence chems could hurt or kill my girl. ?? Interesting eitherway.. I have a cold n' curious side to me too. :p

This was shot with fairly direct lighting thru plexi-glass. Some come out acceptable...other shots..not so much.
I have been toying with open-faced enclosures. If you can get the widow to stick around and web up without the cover slid in, adding/removing later isnt as bad. They will connect to it, but if you keep it reduced, removing it wont upset her too much. The problem is that most interesting stuff that you didnt manipulate, happens unexpectively. Removing the cover can ruin the moment. I have left the covers off for a day with a few of my babes and a couple of them left and did a little room exploration. A laos made a beautiful 4' web structure between her enclosure and my camera and tripod.

BTW...trying some new backdrops to help against washout. Even with a grey card, I am having problems shooting jet black creatures lit up against a white background. What do you think? I will make some more with different tones, but I do somewhat like the blue/gold/green tones.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The dying pede has just willed it's valuable body nutrients and proteins.

;)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im surprised that the widow can pierce the millipede
Widows have very thick, but sharp fangs! They either pierce through weaker areas or use them like a couple crowbars to pry open segments of exoskeleton or limb joints.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Widows have very thick, but sharp fangs! They either pierce through weaker areas or use them like a couple crowbars to pry open segments of exoskeleton or limb joints.
did not know that thanks!
i always thought widows had weaker fangs

also kinda random but is that a AGB or a giant american species?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
did not know that thanks!
i always thought widows had weaker fangs

also kinda random but is that a AGB or a giant american species?
Probably weaker compared to many other species. Might be some interesting info to know.
All I know, is the only prey that I have witnessed widows giving up on are pill bugs that manage to ball up while being wrapped up. But, I have also fed pills to widows where the widow finds an in. ;)

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you really breeding Widows? i heard the babies are so tiny that they escape from most inclosures