Good starter list of T's

akpropst

Arachnopeon
I am deployed and won't be ordering these for a few more months but this is what I am looking at doing. I currently have a Dubia Colony set up to feed my herp, so ill be feeding off of it and going to start a Blatta Lateralis fairly quickly once I get back as well.

Going to look at getting:
6 OBT slings
A. Versicolor
GBB
and I was thinking maybe a P. Regalis.

My plan is to have the last 3 as my displays and hopefully breed the OBT's Eventually. Being new, does it matter if T's are from the same sac when it comes to breeding? Is 9 slings too many to start with? Are OBT's a bad idea to start with? I know they're considered aggressive but I am not planning on handling these for quite a while if ever.

Just some general questions, didn't think it was scientific enough for the discussion forum.

GForce134

Arachnopeon
Yeah, well, i'd rethink getting 6 OBTs and a P. Regalis as your starter Ts...
Maybe get a brachypelma, or a Grammostola (I'd advise G. pulchripes), one of the Aphonopelmas or maybe a Pink Zebra Beauty for starters...

But whatever you do, just make sure you treat them with respect and nothing bad will happen to you!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Breeding sac mates might be difficult as the males mature out sooner...

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Like first Ts ever? Man if you pull it off with no deathcurls :worship:

I agree with Gforce though I've heard Avics recommended and occasionally a GBB but I've never heard of someone starting out with 9 Ts 6 being orange bitey things and 1 being a Pokie.

In addition learn about the body language and watch and read as much as you can about them.

akpropst

Arachnopeon
I've been reading up on T's since the beginning of May. It's ended up making me go out and collect some true spiders around the house and my yard and keep them for periods of time feeding them and even hatching some slings from some house spiders. It's just an awesome process. I just can't force myself to go with a rose hair. I know they're great starter T's, for many reasons, i just think the versi and gbb are just beautiful. The OBT's are just appealing to me for their aggressiveness. More than likely I'll be starting out with the A. Versi and the GBB. I've already sold the wife on getting them actually :D

I'll hold back on the OBT's and the P. Regalis. I knew what the answer was going to be there already from what i've read about getting them from the very start.

Where I am at is not making it easy to wait, Solfugids are running around and scorps. They all taunt me :evil:

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I dunno I've seen some pretty awesome freshly molted G rosea RCFs :p maybe it's because I'm not an arboreal fan....From what I've heard the GBB is quite a fiesty species and I don't know how you could ever be disappointed with one. Just read up no matter what T(s) you choose

Also: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=196764

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're going with slings and truly want the P regalis and P murinus, do your research and get what you want. Both species are hardy and I wouldn't worry much about killing them. Personally I think both are great starters.

There are plenty of people who have succeeded with far worse species for their first and with much less information to start with.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
It seems like alot on one plate for a first time T owner.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems like alot on one plate for a first time T owner.
Not especially, OBTs are quite hardy and so are GBB. I don't think the Pokie would be a problem either and if a problem did arise, it would be from the Avic.

Even so, why would that mean deathcurls?

Jester

Arachnopeon
I think that'd be okay if you were actually ready for them.. Any T can be a starter T with the right care taker and enough patience and knowledge. Personally, I started with a G. pulchra because they're so docile but if you're looking for defensive, flashy looking Ts then the list you've got is good.. All I'd suggest is don't get them all at once, get one first, see how you do, and then when you're absolutely, 100% confident in your abilities, get the rest. Just be sure to read up on each specieis individually..

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not especially, OBTs are quite hardy and so are GBB. I don't think the Pokie would be a problem either and if a problem did arise, it would be from the Avic.
I agree. Once you have to go to the store for crickets, it is just as easy to get enough for 1 tarantula as 20. Cleaning is so rarely necessary, space is the only limitation.

My Regalis is the most docile non-Brachy tarantula. YMMV of course, but they sure are hardy.

I have never been able to keep an Avic alive for more than a few years. I'd go away for a few days and either the temp (too hot in the summer) or the humidity (too dry in the winter) would do them in. My regalis and H. Maculatas never seemed to have the same problems.

k2power

Arachnoknight
I would recommend something from a drier climate. For me it is easier to keep them happy. I too have had problems keeping pink-toes alive although I have a Peruvian purple now that seems ultra hardy and eats fantastically. The others I have had, not so much. I agree the pink toes would be the hardest to care for but the OBT, the hardest to do cage maintenance if the hadn't made a home yet.