Good starter centipede

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
i used to be a pain in peoples rear over centipede venom. this is 6 pages?!? basically whatever you get will probably have a painful as hell bite and might end up in a hospital should it progress far enough. they are beautiful, but make up for it in speed, aggresion, and venom. be careful and have fun.

Nate

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
I'm going to get morsitans but my mum is worried about the venom. Could you guys please say how they aren't that bad venom wise. Btw I don't she's worried about the pain just if it could harm me.

Gel

Arachnoknight
I'm going to get morsitans but my mum is worried about the venom. Could you guys please say how they aren't that bad venom wise. Btw I don't she's worried about the pain just if it could harm me.
I would personally be more worried about what a common bee or wasp sting could do than a morsitans bite if pain isn't a factor but I am not an expert so perhaps one of the more experienced forum members can comment. From what I gather bee stings are much more common and more people are allergic to bees.

Here is a bite report of what seems to be a morsitans

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...-Scolopendra-morsitans(-)&highlight=morsitans

Last edited:

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
See the problem is you could be allergic and not know until it's too late. She has all rights to be worried. And although it might not kill you, you may wish it does. The pain is remarkable from what I personally gather from a breeder friend of mine. These aren't exactly puppies.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I've taken a quick bite from an adult morsitans and while it was unpleasant it wasn't anything noteworthy. Could be different if it the animal can not be removed before pumping venom into your vein. Yes, even long time keepers get cocky. This is what happens.

The bottom line is(and this can't be said enough): make sure your caging is escape proof and refrain from handling if you do not want to be bitten.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Stone centipedes, IMO, are wonderful starter 'pedes. They're calmer than most centipedes, slower, and dont require any heating. They can reach four inches in length, with a short but thick body.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the help guys but I think I'm going to wait until I leave home to get some because although my mum was going to get me them I could tell she was worried so I have decided to get something less dangerous. Tanzanian red legged millipedes look quite interesting and easy to care for.