Good starter centipede

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
I have heard that a lot of problems with the bites is caused by an infection. How does this happen? Is it a bacteria that wild caught pedes carry? The pedes I am watching are captive bred. Would CB pedes bites cause an infection?

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
That goes for any open wound, not just centipede bites.
No, they don't carry some special bacteria that infects wounds.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Oh well an infection shouldn't be a problem because I should be able to treat that...hopefully.

---------- Post added 10-31-2013 at 12:02 AM ----------

I'm interested in getting a Morsitans but it's wild caught. Do you think it could pass anything onto any of my other pets? Obviously not through direct

---------- Post added 10-31-2013 at 01:05 AM ----------

Ok last question because I feel that people will getting sick of this. Does anyone actually know how many people have been killed by centipedes and did these deaths mainly occur in LEDCs?

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Your other pets aren't much cleaner than a wild caught centipede, it shouldn't be a problem.

Gel

Arachnoknight
Do you know if Morsitans has ever killed anyone?
Ok last question because I feel that people will getting sick of this. Does anyone actually know how many people have been killed by centipedes and did these deaths mainly occur in LEDCs?
The answer is no.

Not sure if you checked out my previous reply to your post. You will not find a more authoritative answer than Dr. Rowland's.

"Check out this link and the response from Dr. Rowland in regards to the subject of centipede bite lethality. He is an expert on myriapods.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/565413

Last edited:

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
No I do not. However, most if not all of your questions about venom are answered in the link I posted.

Is the link not working for you?
No it is ok, I was half way through reading it when I decided to ask you if I could contact him. He says no one has every been killed by any centipede? But at the top it says that there have definitely been cases of people being killed.

Either way I'm never going to handle it if I get one so I shouldn't worry but I would like to know why there's contradiction in that article.

Gel

Arachnoknight
No it is ok, I was half way through reading it when I decided to ask you if I could contact him. He says no one has every been killed by any centipede? But at the top it says that there have definitely been cases of people being killed.

Either way I'm never going to handle it if I get one so I shouldn't worry but I would like to know why there's contradiction in that article.
There are no contradictions in the link in of itself.

When you are able, read the webpage in it's entirety.

One of posters in the link posted a source where it is claimed, emphasis on "claimed", that somebody died from a bite but Dr. Rowland in his response goes on to question the validity of that report and point out where the information in that source is incorrect. In other words, he questions whether that report is actually true and debunks some of the other false information.

From his response, I gather that there are no trustworthy reports of deaths directly related from centipede venom.
--
That being said, I recall you mentioning that you are quite young (it is great that you are doing all this research) so I would speak with your parents and get their permission before purchasing a centipede. You and your parents should both be aware of the responsibility of keeping one and how it greatly differs from any other "bug" you've kept.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Ok, thanks. They shouldn't mind now that I have evidence that nobody has died from a centipede bite. I think I'll get a Morsitans because they get big but are apparently not as dangerous as Dehaani which I originally wanted.

Gel

Arachnoknight
Ok, thanks. They shouldn't mind now that I have evidence that nobody has died from a centipede bite. I think I'll get a Morsitans because they get big but are apparently not as dangerous as Dehaani which I originally wanted.
I just want to point out that there seems to be no reports of deaths directly related to centipede venom but there could be secondary complications (as with anything really) so just be aware of that and be sure you parents are aware as well.

For example, any animal bite or sting could introduce secondary complications that could be serious such as infections or an allergic reaction.

Check out the "Bite Reports" section of the these forums found here for a better idea of what a centipede bite entails.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
I hope that if I ever do get bite, which I'll try not to, that I'm not allergic. I have never been allergic to anything I have come across before though so maybe I won't be to centipedes, we'll hopefully.

Gel

Arachnoknight
I hope that if I ever do get bite, which I'll try not to, that I'm not allergic. I have never been allergic to anything I have come across before though so maybe I won't be to centipedes, we'll hopefully.
I'm sure you've come across some of this advice before but here it is again:

-No handling whatsoever under any circumstances!
-Find and purchase the longest pair of feeding tongs you can and use these for everything including enclosure maintenance
-Do not let you guard down or become complacent; that one time you decide to stick your hand in to pickup or move that water bowl (for example) will be the one time that you get bitten
-House the centipede in an enclosure that is taller than the centipede is long and then some; when the centipeded decides have a stretch, it won't be able to reach the top and escape
-Always cautiously open up the enclosure or you could spook the centipede and have it go for you
-Always MAKE SURE you have SECURELY closed the centipede enclosure when you are done so there are no escapes
-Check the enclosure for any holes, gaps, ventilation slits that could provide an escape opportunity; centipedes are great at wedging themselves in the smallest of spaces you thought would be impossible for them to get through
-Make sure that the enclosure locks securely;using a key and lock mechanism is best
-keep a catch cup with you; this is some sort of container that you can place over the centipede and stop it in the even that it manages to escape the enclosure during maintenance etc.

If I think of any more I'll edit this post and add them or add them to a new post.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
I will but i was thinking of keeping the little guy in a large exo terra breeding box when he is bigger. Is this not suitable? I keep all my inverts in breeding boxes and all the breeding boxes are stacked in a big Wooden viv exotic which has no possible escape routes. The only holes are ones for wires which are filled and a hole for you to easily slide open the glass doors and it couldn't fit through that hole because there is a lock in it. The reason I keep them in the big wooden viv exotic is because it only takes one heat bulb to heat all the animals and the air temp in there ranges from lowest 22 degrees to highest 30 degrees but it's usually at 24-25 degrees.

Last edited:

Gel

Arachnoknight
I will but i was thinking of keeping the little guy in a large exo terra breeding box when he is bigger. Is this not suitable? I keep all my inverts in breeding boxes and all the breeding boxes are stacked in a big Wooden viv exotic which has no possible escape routes. The only holes are ones for wires which are filled and a hole for you to easily slide open the glass doors and it couldn't fit through that hole because there is a lock in it. The reason I keep them in the big wooden viv exotic is because it only takes one heat bulb to heat all the animals and the air temp in there ranges from lowest 22 degrees to highest 30 degrees but it's usually at 24-25 degrees.
I would keep them in something tall enough that wouldn't allow them to reach the top and has a locking mechanism. It is difficult to advise as I don't know the size of the wholes or gaps. If the viv is wooden there is most likely seams or joints where the different pieces of wood meet so if it gets out of the breeder box it could squeeze through one of those.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
I am going to move all the breeding boxes into a big glass tank so they will be heated in there instead. The glass tank is about four foot long and 2 feet tall so I doubt it can get out. How long on average do Dehaani and Morsitans get? There really isn't much info on the Morsitans online.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
What is a black headed centipede? On a website there are two Morsitans but one is labeled blackhead Morsitans and on is a red head Morsitans. Is the black headed on a Heros?

Gel

Arachnoknight
I am going to move all the breeding boxes into a big glass tank so they will be heated in there instead. The glass tank is about four foot long and 2 feet tall so I doubt it can get out. How long on average do Dehaani and Morsitans get? There really isn't much info on the Morsitans online.
I'm not sure what the average size of an adult morsitans is.

What is a black headed centipede? On a website there are two Morsitans but one is labeled blackhead Morsitans and on is a red head Morsitans. Is the black headed on a Heros?
They are both most likely different colour forms of the same species, perhaps from different localities.

guywithaspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scolopendra subspinipes is a good starter. They're easy to care for, and they get huge. I have two of these, one juvie, and one peddling. They're awesome eaters. Definitely don't want a bite from them though. Heard its one of the worst bites you can get. Have fun with whatever pede you choose.

Gel

Arachnoknight
S. subspinipes being a good starter pede is subjective.

The reason they are normally not recommended as a beginner species is due to their lightning fast speed, defensiveness, and nasty bite.