Good starter centipede

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I wasn't talking about who sells them, just the nice centipede, although if they are selling illegally then they obviously shouldn't be doing that.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
I wasn't talking about who sells them, just the nice centipede, although if they are selling illegally then they obviously shouldn't be doing that.
I agree, it's an incredibly good looking 'pede.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only centipede I know of that can be kept communal is Scolopendra mutilans. Oh how I want one.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Does anyone think a Scolopendra Dehaani could kill me? Apparently only one person gas ever been killed by one and it was a 7 year old girl from the Philippines. I know it's different but I'm not allergic to bees or wasps as I have been stung by them before.

Gel

Arachnoknight
Does anyone think a Scolopendra Dehaani could kill me? Apparently only one person gas ever been killed by one and it was a 7 year old girl from the Philippines. I know it's different but I'm not allergic to bees or wasps as I have been stung by them before.
Please check out my thread on this topic below

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?251806-Scolopendra-Venom&highlight=scolopendra+venom

In that discussion I posted the following:

"Check out this link and the response from Dr. Rowland in regards to the subject of centipede bite lethality. He is an expert on myriapods.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/565413"

Just wanted to add, Scolopendra dehaani is usually not recommended for first-time pede owners. They are best left to experienced keepers.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Unless you have a compromised immune system (child, elderly, sick) and live in a third-world country you most likely won't die, I bet that you'll wish that you did though as it's going to be very painful.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I agree unless you have health problems then you wont die, although it would be very nasty and probably last a day or so.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Unless you have a compromised immune system (child, elderly, sick) and live in a third-world country you most likely won't die, I bet that you'll wish that you did though as it's going to be very painful.
That bad? I'm never going to handle it and it certainly won't escape. I'm very careful with my pets but I'm just worried that it may pounce on me during feeding or cleaning although I do have a huge pair of tongs for this. Also if it ever did get loose could it kill my dogs? I think I already know the answer though. :'(

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
As of yet, I've not really had to clean out my 'pedes tanks/ containers, the springtails and isopods sharing the tanks with the 'pedes do a good enough job.

I've also not had one pounce at anything whilst feeding yet, though there's a video somewhere of someone feeding a centipede with some tongs, and the 'pede appears out of nowhere pretty damned fast.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Can you give me a good link to get some isopods and springtails please? :)

Do these creatures breed in the substrate or something and can they survive just on the waste of the centipede?

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
Mine were caught in the garden and kept in quarantine before I got my 'pedes, and the ones in with my 'pedes have never seen the outside world as they were bred in containers indoors. It's stupidly easy to get a colony of springtails going, they'll live & breed in the substrate, and as soon as there's any waste food from the 'pede, there'll be springtails all over it. As for isopods, I have a colony of pill bugs on the go, from four plain grey pill bugs, I must have a somewhere round 100 baby pill bugs in a few colours, I put a number of baby ones in with the 'pedes.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
That bad? I'm never going to handle it and it certainly won't escape. I'm very careful with my pets but I'm just worried that it may pounce on me during feeding or cleaning although I do have a huge pair of tongs for this. Also if it ever did get loose could it kill my dogs? I think I already know the answer though. :'(
It varies from person to person, but it's generally very painful.

Maybe, but even if it could the chance that it will is low.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Is there any difference between the bite of S.Dehaani and S.Morsitans? I just read some guy who claims to have been bitten 50 times by S.Mortisans and everything was fine. Then I read every person when gets bitten by S.Dehaani goes into the hospital almost every time.

Last edited:

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Is there any difference between the bite of S.Dehaani and S.Mortisans? I just read some guy who claims to have been bitten 50 times by S.Mortisans and everything was fine. Then I read every person when gets bitten by S.Dehaani goes into the hospital almost every time.
Probably, they're two different species.

I wouldn't like a bite from either of them though.