Good starter centipede

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
I am thinking of getting a giant centipede for my birthday and was wondering what were a good starter species. I realize that they are aggressive and none are really suitable for someone who hasn't had one before but you have to start somewhere. Scolopendra dehaani is only £4.00 over here which is very cheap. I will never handle it because I realize they WILL bite so I don't need a lecture on how aggressive they are and it will be very securely kept.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I was going to buy the scolopendra subspinips, (if thats how its spelled) lol, it's selling at £10 so seems quite cheap, i've never had/bought one. before but from the pics on the boards, they look very cool, I would also like to know what is a good starter?.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
I have always been fascinated by the giant centipedes but only thought of getting one now. After keeping over 100 pets in my life I feel like I'm ready for this.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I dont think they are hard to keep?, just keep the substrate moist as they need the humidity, as they dont have an exo like T's and cant drink the water cause of glands in thair body, hopefully someone with more knowledge of them will inform me about this.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I just googled, they can drink water droplets from the sides of the enclosure or from bottle cap, guess I was wrong.

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
I started keeping 'pedes in April. First was an Ethmostigmus trigonopodus, after looking about on here, that species seems to crop up as one to start with. I'm awake all hours and I'm lucky if I see that one once a week. The same goes for my S. alternans, I've seen that once in maybe 5 months. I've had a 7-8 inch S. subspinipes for a three months, it's out more than the other two, though not by much, and it's certainly the more interesting one to watch. I also picked up a couple of the dehaani pedelings that are over here, one of those is rarely seen, the other is out pretty much any time I look in the container.

While the Ethmostigmus trigonopodus may be good from the perspective of getting used to keeping pedes, going from how my one has been, I wouldn't recommend getting one if you're hoping to see it often, I'd rather have got a subspinipes straight away.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Where did you get your pedes from? Do you know any good pets sites because there are only a few good ones I can find.

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Thanks for those links. I had seen them all before except for the BugzUK one which was very helpful. Thanks. :)

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
They're about all I've managed to find in the UK, maybe another couple of places with the odd centipede, but these are the ones most likely to have a decent selection.

Polyped usually have a good selection, I'm yet to order from them: http://www.polyped.de/

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I say go with the dehaani; even though there may be more "docile" ones, centipedes are all pretty sketchy and dehaanis are cheap and easy to get, and are also impressive in both size and coloration.

Also, I suggest that when you get your pede you keep it in a large jar-type enclosure with a screw-on lid. They can squeeze though lots of tight crevices, but I have yet to encounter one that could unscrew a lid.

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
Nothing just yet, but I'll be on the lookout for a gigantea or galapagoensis some time when funds allow it.

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
BugzUK is selling velvet worms which I have always wanted. I'm now stuck choosing between the two. :eek:

I would like to get three S.Dehaani that are 3cm long. I'm guessing not but are they ok to ever house together or do the need to be kept separate all their lives?

Last edited:

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
From what I've seen when I looked in to keeping 'pedes together, although there are some exceptions, the general consensus seems to be that they should be housed separately.

Gel

Arachnoknight
I am thinking of getting a giant centipede for my birthday and was wondering what were a good starter species. I realize that they are aggressive and none are really suitable for someone who hasn't had one before but you have to start somewhere. Scolopendra dehaani is only £4.00 over here which is very cheap. I will never handle it because I realize they WILL bite so I don't need a lecture on how aggressive they are and it will be very securely kept.
Ethmostigmus trigonopodus, Scolopendra cingulata, Scolopendra polymorpha, Alipes grandidieri would be a good place to start based on experience and others suggestions.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Nothing just yet, but I'll be on the lookout for a gigantea or galapagoensis some time when funds allow it.
I've got a picture of the terminal legs of one of the S. galapagoensis that he sold

To my amazement it's actually what he claims it to be.