Good Spider For Beginner? Is Nephila Madagascarensis?

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Although this is an old thread, I thought I would chip in. N. madagascariensis thrive in large net cages. They build beautiful orb webs, and catch their food no problem. You don't need to let them free in your house. There are some very large and cheap net cages out there.

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
Although this is an old thread, I thought I would chip in. N. madagascariensis thrive in large net cages. They build beautiful orb webs, and catch their food no problem. You don't need to let them free in your house. There are some very large and cheap net cages out there.
I literally got one today at a entomology society show, i couldn't resist any longer and he said they'd do well in a large net enclosure too; which i have because i have kept atlas moths. :happy:
Here it is, do you know if it is a female or not? I know males don't web but is that true for spiderlings?

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Hi there. Congrats. She looks like a beauty. Males are an all over reddish colour, and much, much smaller from the get-go. Females don't start building proper orbs till 3rd or 4th instar. I'm no expert, I've learned a bit along the way, but would be glad to try and help if you have any questions.

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
Hi there. Congrats. She looks like a beauty. Males are an all over reddish colour, and much, much smaller from the get-go. Females don't start building proper orbs till 3rd or 4th instar. I'm no expert, I've learned a bit along the way, but would be glad to try and help if you have any questions.
Aw yay! I'll be sure to ask when i have questions, i'm sure i'll have some!

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
By the way, I just put a male in with a female today, so took some photos and a vid just got you so you can compare. I put them on my noob thread.

freedomchaser24

Arachnopeon
Ate there any links to uk bred nephilia? Got nearly awhole room of it to make its web in. Its very welcome amd will ne a well looked after flat mate