Good species for beginners

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^ :) venom done derailing op's thread in one of your one up competitions. You win ;) My lp is in 10 gallon. All others in 5.5 gallon.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
clarifying your wrong advice and potentially helping the OP and other beginner that read through this thread is hardly derailing.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Lasiodara parahybana (pink salmon bird eater or something like that), here's a shot of my sister's that just molted a few days ago:
View attachment 231001
The golden knee (Grammostola pulchripes), was my first, and with zero regrets. Seeing an adult in person had me sold instantly. Unfortunately it molted into a male, but my dealer (TangledInWebs) was kind enough to exchange him for two juveniles instead. Here's my 3.5" girl in all her glory. It'll take some time for her to reach the size I originally bought, but the hobby preaches patience :)
View attachment 231002
Looking at both those as well now too, lovely!

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Looking at both those as well now too, lovely!
If your considering an LP don't be afraid to get a sling or juvi, very inexpensive and grow very fast. Gives you time to get use to larger size.
I got mine in December for $5. Was half inch and is now at least an inch and a half.

Arachne97

Arachnopeon
If you're gonna buy a t as a sling, I'd recommend a lasiodora parahybana or an acanthoscurria geniculata. They both grow fast(about 4-5in in a year), are always out in the open, and never refuse food. Just dont handle though.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
If you're gonna buy a t as a sling, I'd recommend a lasiodora parahybana or an acanthoscurria geniculata. They both grow fast(about 4-5in in a year), are always out in the open, and never refuse food. Just dont handle though.
Aren't the geniculatas pretty defensive and their hairs awful?

Arachne97

Arachnopeon
Aren't the geniculatas pretty defensive and their hairs awful?
I'd call them semi-defensive. A lot of individuals are docile and handleable though. Mine is. They will tolerate you opening the enclosure and doing maintenance and wont usually flick hairs or give threat poses as long as you dont touch them

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
To be clear.

A 10 gallon aquarium is not suitable for any terrestrial tarantula without some heavy modification. Period. There is nothing wrong with putting an adult LP in an enclosure this size (big as it may be), but that is leaving out a huge part of the equation; modification. Please stop spreading false and incomplete information.

Here are two modified 10 gallon aquariums; one housing an adult female T. stirmi, the other housing a community of M. balfouri juveniles. Notice how it is not a one-size-fits-all approach. There's a reason that they're not identically modified, and it requires proper understanding of a species' husbandry to be successful.

IMG_1621.JPG
---
IMG_1622.JPG
---
IMG_1623.JPG

Last edited: