Good species for beginners

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You can't find Brachys or Grammys in Canada?
Of course you can, but you cannot find E.campestratus or Euathlus sp. Red females. You're just not going to find them and the emphasis was being put on those species.
You're not going to find a lot of Brachypelma or Grammostola females either - even though spiderlings are available. I know of one dealer, out of three, who has small female B.smithi for a decent price. Another dealer has one larger female for almost $300 - over $300 if you factor in shipping. If you want a Grammostola female - one dealer has a $300 G.pulchripes.
I believe this poster might be the person whose ad I've come across on Kijiji. If it is - you're looking at high shipping costs... very high. She is a very long distance from any of the sellers.
I don't want the poster to get her hopes up for a specific species when they are just not available in this country. That's all and that is why I posted what I did. It is a different ballgame up here and I don't want her to become discouraged because people are suggesting all these fabulous species that she ends up not being able to find. That is very disappointing when it could have been avoided by sticking to those which are available to her.
Maybe I'm being lazy here, but I never hover over people's avatars. I just address the posts they've made.
It takes a lot less effort to check avatars than go out and look for links that can't help people, though.

Here are the three dealers that we have in Canada who will ship to you. Outside of these three you have extremely few options. Maybe something will come of your Kijiji ad, if it is yours.
You might also consider joining the Canadian Tarantulas group on Facebook. You might find someone there who is much closer to you. I think maybe Karina Orr is in your general area.
If you are looking for females, then Tangled in Webs will be your best shot at them. They have the largest selection of sexed females and the best price for them.
Tarantula Canada - located in Montreal, Quebec
http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/news.php
Tangled in Webs - located around Kingston/Belleville, Ontario
http://www.tangledinwebs.com/
Arachnophiliacs - located in Surrey, BC
http://www.arachnophiliacs.com/

Haemus

Arachnosquire
The slow growth was not a concern, breeder said they were skittish.
The appealing part was slow growth and how long they live.
Thank you for confirming my top choice. Can't seem to find anyone who sells them.
My sister also wanted an E. campestratus as her first, but unfortunately couldn't find one for some time. After hitting a few expos she caved and fell in love with the a bulky L. parahybana.

I'd hit a few reptile/exotic pets expos and see what's around. The three dealers that @VanessaS mentioned attend many of them so you can see their supply in person. I always check out all three when the expo rolls around Toronto :)

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Which is the L. paraphybana?
I quite liked the Golden Knee at the show I was at. Being in NWO difficult to get down to southern Ontario for time off.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Which is the L. paraphybana?
I quite liked the Golden Knee at the show I was at. Being in NWO difficult to get down to southern Ontario for time off.
Lasiodara parahybana (pink salmon bird eater or something like that), here's a shot of my sister's that just molted a few days ago:
WhatsApp Image 2017-02-05 at 3.57.51 PM.jpeg
The golden knee (Grammostola pulchripes), was my first, and with zero regrets. Seeing an adult in person had me sold instantly. Unfortunately it molted into a male, but my dealer (TangledInWebs) was kind enough to exchange him for two juveniles instead. Here's my 3.5" girl in all her glory. It'll take some time for her to reach the size I originally bought, but the hobby preaches patience :)
Studio Session-047.jpg

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
B albo curly hair is a great choice. I paid $10 for mine, which molted into an adorable little lady. Another great beginner is the rose hair. Rose hairs are normally available at every pet shop, and make a pretty good starting point. They refuse food, so newbies should look out for that. If you don't plan on handling your tarantula I would suggest a Lasiodora Parahybana. Mine is my avatar. She has NEVER refused food, is really big, is super easy to care for, super cheap for small ones and fairly cheap for adults. Oh, and they are very cute :) You would need a 10 gallon tank for them, as they get really large, but the care is very basic.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You would need a 10 gallon tank for them, as they get really large, but the care is very basic.
incorrect. a 10 gallon is a mansion for everything but a AF Theraphosa.(which need a different cage as tanks arent really good for them) Lasiodora size is exaggerated by alot of breeders to make the 2000 slings more desirable. 8" is a large one, 9" for a monster or old female.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
incorrect. a 10 gallon is a mansion for everything but a AF Theraphosa.(which need a different cage as tanks arent really good for them) Lasiodora size is exaggerated by alot of breeders to make the 2000 slings more desirable. 8" is a large one, 9" for a monster or old female.
Lol there's no incorrect :) you can feel free to keep your adult Lp's in a 5.5, but mine would be cramped in such a small tank. She's the only one I have in a ten gallon, and it looks perfect for her size. There's no comparison to my t stirmi in length or weight, but she is significantly bigger than everything else I have.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I held one at the show I took my son to amazing
They are a fabulous species and I love my two very much. However, my little girl is less tolerant than the species is known for as a whole. They are all individuals and will have different levels of tolerance. My girl has never shown any outwardly defensive behaviour, but she is skittish and very reactive to my interaction sometimes. And their tolerance levels can change back and forth throughout their lives as well. Some people might find that intimidating, as they are one of the largest of the species appropriate for new people. And, although they are a lot slower than many species, they can have tremendous bursts of speed at times. Because of that, and the risk it poses to them should they fall, it is not advised to handle them. I understand why people would want to interact with them, and I am not going to lie and say that I have never done it myself, but the risks are high if the proper precautions are not taken... risks to them for the most part.
This is my lovely girl, Portia...
G.pulchripes.jpg

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
They are a fabulous species and I love my two very much. However, my little girl is less tolerant than the species is known for as a whole. They are all individuals and will have different levels of tolerance. My girl has never shown any outwardly defensive behaviour, but she is skittish and very reactive to my interaction sometimes. And their tolerance levels can change back and forth throughout their lives as well. Some people might find that intimidating, as they are one of the largest of the species appropriate for new people. And, although they are a lot slower than many species, they can have tremendous bursts of speed at times. Because of that, and the risk it poses to them should they fall, it is not advised to handle them. I understand why people would want to interact with them, and I am not going to lie and say that I have never done it myself, but the risks are high if the proper precautions are not taken... risks to them for the most part.
View attachment 231007
She is beautiful! My son has picked out the name Charlotte for my future girl.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
View attachment 231007
I've always thought handling would be safe if you just keep your hand on the substrate so if they run they'll just be on the ground in their tank. I still won't handle mine, though. It can stress them.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
View attachment 231007
How do you remove her to clean her enclosure?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Lol there's no incorrect :) you can feel free to keep your adult Lp's in a 5.5, but mine would be cramped in such a small tank. She's the only one I have in a ten gallon, and it looks perfect for her size. There's no comparison to my t stirmi in length or weight, but she is significantly bigger than everything else I have.
they spend 90% of their lives in a hide and rarely venture out, they dont need big tanks. not saying they wont do fine in a tank with some modifications done, but 10g is a little overkill for just about anything. they do make nice display tanks though.
im just saying youre wrong about Lasiodora needing a 10g. ;)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
How do you remove her to clean her enclosure?
I don't clean her enclosure, there is no need. I do 'spot' cleaning where I will remove food remains with a pair of 10" tongs, while she watches me intently from her hide, but there are very few instances where you would have to remove them and clean the entire enclosure out.
When I have moved her, which was only once because she went into her adult enclosure when she was only about 3.5", I caught her in a catch cup and moved her into her new home. There probably won't be any need for me to do a complete cleaning of her home because she is a drier species and less likely to have mites or mould in there. That is the only reason why you would scrap everything and replace it. Spot cleaning monthly is really all that it required for this species.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I don't clean her enclosure, there is no need. I do 'spot' cleaning where I will remove food remains with a pair of 10" tongs, while she watches me intently from her hide, but there are very few instances where you would have to remove them and clean the entire enclosure out.
When I have moved her, which was only once because she went into her adult enclosure when she was only about 3.5", I caught her in a catch cup and moved her into her new home. There probably won't be any need for me to do a complete cleaning of her home because she is a drier species and less likely to have mites or mould in there. That is the only reason why you would scrap everything and replace it. Spot cleaning monthly is really all that it required for this species.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
they spend 90% of their lives in a hide and rarely venture out, they dont need big tanks. not saying they wont do fine in a tank with some modifications done, but 10g is a little overkill for just about anything. they do make nice display tanks though.
im just saying youre wrong about Lasiodora needing a 10g. ;)
Lp's don't generally ever use a hide. Mine has never used hers. something else neat about them to the op--always out on display. Stick a 5.5 and 10 gallon by each other, there's not a ton of difference between them. Just measured for you. 5.5 gallon: 16x8.25x10. 10 gallon: 20x10x12. See, not much at all.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Lp's don't generally ever use a hide. Mine has never used hers. something else neat about them to the op--always out on display. Stick a 5.5 and 10 gallon by each other, there's not a ton of difference between them. Just measured for you. 5.5 gallon: 16x8.25x10. 10 gallon: 20x10x12. See, not much at all.
im saying youre wrong in saying they need a 10g....